Rebounding | Syracusefan.com

Rebounding

NineOneSeven

2018-19 Iggy Hoops Leader Scorer
In our two losses against pitt, we were outrebounded by 38 (43-25, 43-23).

If the differential is anywhere close to 20, it's going to likely be a poor outcome.

Coleman needs to step up too. I mean, I realize that he can't jump to save his life, but rebounding isn't about who can jump the highest. With his bulk and size he should be able to get a decent amount of rebounds...it comes down to will, grit and desire.

So, it all comes down to whether Roberson regains his killer instinct.

And Trevor making a few shots at a decent clip.

He played well in the first game. Second game... :eek:

It might take that. We shot 12-19 from 3 in the 2013 Big East tourney against them and still only won by 3 because we got crushed on the boards. Rak/Baye combined for 2 rebounds.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=330730221

Our absent rebounding kept it from being a rout; as I remember it, Pitt made it close at the end with the help of an epic Carter-Williams meltdown - all sorts of backward jump-passes and wild shots in the last couple minutes.

Our absent rebounding kept it from being a rout; as I remember it, Pitt made it close at the end with the help of an epic Carter-Williams meltdown - all sorts of backward jump-passes and wild shots in the last couple minutes.

Brandon Triche was on the radio Friday with Preston Shumpert and he even admitted Pittsburgh is a terrible matchup for us because when they shoot all five guys attack the offensive glass and because we are in the zone it's impossible block out everyone because the zone is designed to force teams outside and Pitt forces all their guys inside against us.

Pitt's best offense against SU is a missed shot

Has been for a long time. Dump and chase.

And a typical defensive possession for us against these #@$s is that we'll get the stop, yield the offensive rebound, force another miss, give them another offensive rebound, they finally score on the third possession. Tiresome.

Brandon Triche was on the radio Friday with Preston Shumpert and he even admitted Pittsburgh is a terrible matchup for us because when they shoot all five guys attack the offensive glass and because we are in the zone it's impossible block out everyone because the zone is designed to force teams outside and Pitt forces all their guys inside against us.

Yeah, Roosevelt Bou(w)ie said something similar the other day.

We'll never out-Pitt them, and we can only beat them with our style if we're much more talented or if a couple things go unusually right for us and wrong for them. If we shoot 40% from 3 and the starting guards don't have the horrific turnovers that have become a habit in the past couple weeks, we should make it interesting.

So, it all comes down to whether Roberson regains his killer instinct.

It's not just Roberson. It's really important for the guards to hit the glass hard. That's the key. No fly bys going for blocked shots on 3s. Contest the shot but stay between the shooter and the basket. And turn and box/attack the boards.

Has been for a long time. Dump and chase.

And a typical defensive possession for us against these #@$s is that we'll get the stop, yield the offensive rebound, force another miss, give them another offensive rebound, they finally score on the third possession. Tiresome.

Yup. Can't have offensive droughts as well. That game in the Dome was brutal. We were stuck on 40 points mid-2H forever.

Just find somebody to box out...what a concept
Easy to do in M2M. Pitt's strategy is to crash the glass all-out. After the shot goes up, SU's guards and at least one wing are still at or near the 3pt line leaving the C and PF to box out 5 opposing players.

It's not just Roberson. It's really important for the guards to hit the glass hard. That's the key. No fly bys going for blocked shots on 3s. Contest the shot but stay between the shooter and the basket. And turn and box/attack the boards.
Tell that to JB - he'd rather have the fly-bys to create the illusion of a contested shot even if it puts us at a terrible rebounding disadvantage. At this point teaching our guys to box out is as much of a gamble as trying a blind date with m2m.

Hop-2-JB: "If we play m2m, we'll kill these guys by 20 and Dixon might even die of a stroke."
JB: "But then the talking heads will say the zone was a failed experiment."
Hop: "Or they might laud you as a flexible genius who is always evolving and adapting to matchups."
JB: "Hm, let me ask Julie."

In all seriousness, though, the only adjustment I can see JB making is packing the zone much closer to the paint - similar to how we fared at UNC. I think we'll bait Pitt into open shots on the perimeter - and we just have to hope they're having an off-afternoon.

Coleman needs to step up too. I mean, I realize that he can't jump to save his life, but rebounding isn't about who can jump the highest. With his bulk and size he should be able to get a decent amount of rebounds...it comes down to will, grit and desire.

Indeed - he needs to find a beast mode. I mean, Pitt has been killing us on the boards for years with big dudes that can't jump! DC gotta return that favor!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom