Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

He’s wearing a USA shirt under the hooded shirt. You can make out the USA if you zoom in on him.
Know what you need to spell USA?

SU.

Gotta be a sign. No way it isn’t. Also 4 spallinas in the same pic. 4 isn’t a coincidence.

Papa bear posted it an hour ago that’s around 4 o’clock.

Cmonnnn that’s a fckuing sign bro. Even Stevie wonder sleeping stuck in a basement at night blindfolded could see it’s a sign!!

He’s wearing a USA shirt under the hooded shirt. You can make out the USA if you zoom in on him.
it was a joke haha
4-44435_loudly-crying-emoji-png-iphone-crying-emoji-transparent.png

I'm not a lacrosse guru, but I was a recruited college athlete, and like to think I am very good at identifying talent quickly, and a lot of this Petro discussion (including some Gait recruiting stuff) is really overwrought.

My thoughts on Petro:
  • It absolutely does not matter if Petro was as good as Rogers, Simmons, Desko, etc. None of them were going to be coaching and we needed a D coordinator. The comparisons are pointless when it comes to Petro's time with the Orange and his leaving.
  • It was helpful hiring someone with head coaching experience who could help with administrative aspects.
  • Everyone knew he wasnt long for the position.
  • A lot of what I saw last year on defense was an absolute mess. Players appeared to have analysis paralysis and often made confounding decisions. The first quarter of the UVA game was remarkable. How a 20-year-old who's been playing for a decade doesnt instinctively realize that he doesnt have to slide to a player moving away from the goal, in the channel, on his off hand, is incredible. Yet we repeatedly had defenders doing things like that.
  • I always find Petro to be very engaging when he speaks.
  • Some kids liked to be coached hard, some don't.
  • I could see Petro being a dynamic, hardworking recruiter. Some people really like to get after it. Guys like Saban and Meyer are legendary recruiters.
  • "Grinding" is a weird way evaluate one's status as a recruiter. These guys should all be working smarter. And frankly, i dont consider sitting in a lawn chair on a sideline to be grinding. Most of these high end kids commit within a month, so how much "grinding" is there really. The vast majority of the best players can all be seen at a few events.
  • I am sure Petro will recruit well to UNC. The school and program have a lot of selling points. UNC recruiting well, and Syracuse recruiting well, are not necessarily mutually exclusive.
  • As a parent, my first question to Petro if he was recruiting my kid to Syracuse would have been, "If this is the place for my son, why isnt it the place for yours?"
Thoughts on Gait's recruiting:
  • I'm ok with a CEO, closer type approach, so long as he really is engaged.
  • He's still a huge name. The Air Gait. The equipment line. PLL award, etc.
  • Whenever I hear Gait speak, I'm surprised by what a lacrosse dweeb he seems to be. I dont think that means that he watches hours upon hours of film, but he has a curiosity and he likes to innovate.
  • To me that means he has a vision, and he gave us a timeline. I'm prepared to respect that.
  • When he discusses recruiting, he certainly does not sound in the dark.
  • In the end, the classes are the head coach's. His first two classes were excellent and good, and 2024 is good as well. The transfer portal for 2024 was great.
  • He's values March very highly as a recruiter. I suspect Odierna will more than earn his keep as well.
  • We're plugged in to Team 91, Six Nations/Haudenosaunee and Canadian youth. That alone should bear top 10 classes every year. We need to become a "go to" for Sweetlax and at least one of the Westchester/Fairfield County clubs (i.e., Primetime, Eclipse, Express North, etc.).
If you talk to any of the DI coaches, they would describe "recruiting evaluation season" a grind. It is much more than just a few events "sitting on a lawn chair" as you state. It is multiple weekly events, basically up and down the east coast, for 8 weeks.
Also, there is a ton to evaluate. A coach is evaluating more than just one class and trying to get a "feel" and make informed decisions on players, based upon how much scholarship "capital" the program is willing to spend. On average, the DI programs will be only extending a total of 3+ a fraction scholarships per recruiting year. So for example, maybe you do not "chase or over spend" for a particular player in this recruiting year if you feel you have a deep class at that player's position the following year - the goal being to get talent while using less scholarship money.
THIS is why Petro was important. Thinking he was just recruiting "defense" at SU is ridiculous. Again, he was a multi-champion head coach. He ran an entire program for 20 years. To think he was not making these recruiting calculations and setting the direction to SU's recruiting as a whole, I find unrealistic.
Here is hoping the current staff understands the challenge - because it is a huge challenge given where the program has been for the past decade and where the likes of ND, UVA, Duke, & MD sit today.

How many recruiting cycles have you and I brought up the "economic" headwinds facing Syracuse? Any family with more than one child thinking about college cost is a major consideration. And, if you are going to pay a hefty tuition bill the academics have to be worth the cost. Recruitment these days is not just about the lacrosse program.
I would think that NIL for lax will be huge, given the scholarship limitations. Soccer too.

If you talk to any of the DI coaches, they would describe "recruiting evaluation season" a grind. It is much more than just a few events "sitting on a lawn chair" as you state. It is multiple weekly events, basically up and down the east coast, for 8 weeks.
Also, there is a ton to evaluate. A coach is evaluating more than just one class and trying to get a "feel" and make informed decisions on players, based upon how much scholarship "capital" the program is willing to spend. On average, the DI programs will be only extending a total of 3+ a fraction scholarships per recruiting year. So for example, maybe you do not "chase or over spend" for a particular player in this recruiting year if you feel you have a deep class at that player's position the following year - the goal being to get talent while using less scholarship money.
THIS is why Petro was important. Thinking he was just recruiting "defense" at SU is ridiculous. Again, he was a multi-champion head coach. He ran an entire program for 20 years. To think he was not making these recruiting calculations and setting the direction to SU's recruiting as a whole, I find unrealistic.
Here is hoping the current staff understands the challenge - because it is a huge challenge given where the program has been for the past decade and where the likes of ND, UVA, Duke, & MD sit today.
Everybody describes hard parts of their job as a grind. Everybody wants you to know how hard they work.

I hope its Spencer Ford so we I never have to read Zack80 and ctlax go back-and-forth about him again. ;)
Interesting that ctlax isn't here giving us his insights on the current recruits.

The Terps only have 1 recruit so far,, so not much for him to go after.

His comrade, nyclax, was ripping UNC recruit Bair though.

Interesting that ctlax isn't here giving us his insights on the current recruits.

It was me you sparred with regarding Ford, not ctlax.

Re 2025 recruits: I echo the sentiments of others in that I think this class is on the weaker side relatively speaking.

I happen to be a fan of Bair though, and think he's deserving of his rank. Only question mark for him is size, but he's a fantastic dodger and shooter.

It was me you sparred with regarding Ford, not ctlax.

Re 2025 recruits: I echo the sentiments of others in that I think this class is on the weaker side relatively speaking.

I happen to be a fan of Bair though, and think he's deserving of his rank. Only question mark for him is size, but he's a fantastic dodger and shooter.
Looking back, it was you, not ctlax. I was mislead by shrmdouglvr. Sorry for the insinuation, ctlax.

I have only looked at highlights of a few players so far.

can you try not being weird for one second. i said he's good but not the 7th best player in the country. if that qualifies as "ripping" then i guess NLF ripped him too with a ranking of 18. i doubt you had ever even heard of bair let alone seen him play

can you try not being weird for one second. i said he's good but not the 7th best player in the country. if that qualifies as "ripping" then i guess NLF ripped him too with a ranking of 18. i doubt you had ever even heard of bair let alone seen him play
I've never seen him play, but I have heard of him. He was 1st team on the Maryland Allstate team.

My feeling is that the accuracy of recruit rankings is so poor, that one would have to feel a guy was ranked out at 30th or 40th, to say that no way he was the 7th best player in the class.

Last edited: