Recruiting and the Bye week | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting and the Bye week

CuseLegacy

Free article...
http://www.. . . . . . . . . /college/syracuse/story/1595429-recruiting-focus-bye-week-time-balance
We spoke with #Syracuse director of recruiting @EricWhite08 on how SU balances recruiting & season during bye week:

Eric White Details how Syracuse Balances Time Between Recruiting & Team During Bye Week

Syracuse football coaching staff has hit the recruiting trail during their bye week. Most notably, offensive coordinator Tim Lester watched two quarterbacks perform in person and offensive line coach Joe Adam handed out several offers in Florida.

While the team had a bye week and there was no game, that does not mean the season is on hold. There is still work to be done, film to review and an upcoming opponent for whom to game plan. That means there needs to be an adequate balance between recruiting and in-season activities.

How does Syracuse find that balance? It starts with Director of Recruiting Eric White.

“A couple weeks before the bye week, I’ll submit to coach Shafer the bye week schedule as I would like it,” White said. “When we go on the road and see recruits, where the coaches should be. I put together a plan to maximize our time on the road. It probably is a bit biased since I tend to lean more towards recruiting since that’s my job.

“Coach Shafer will look at it and he’ll adjust it because he’ll kind of be the median that will balance everything out. I’ll tell to try to push recruiting more, where he will be the more objective one in the room and we’ll be smart about it. Then we’ll balance it out and from there I’ll adjust my schedule to maximize the days he’s permitted us be on the road and we’ll go from there.”

Currently, the Orange are in the middle of year three of the Scott Shafer era. Over that time, the coaching and recruiting staff have developed a plan that works for them. They have found out what works and what does not.

The only challenge this season is squeezing in-season recruiting trips into one bye week. In past years, there have been two bye weeks in which to spend time on the road. But Syracuse already has a solution to that problem.

“I think we’re on a good pace now,” White said. “Last year, I know we had two bye weeks. So it was different because we could go out two different times. This year we only have one. It’s a little bit more of a tighter window this year because it was convenient when we had two bye weeks. We were able to get out there more.

“This year we only have one bye week so we have to maximize our time. We have to look at away games when we’re on the road to see if there’s any recruits playing in that area. We can send someone out a day early to see their schedule and go scout them.”

Sending someone down early to see kids in the area of a road game will start this week against the South Florida Bulls. Syracuse is expected to see three-star inside linebacker prospect Jonathan Jones among others.

Last edited:
Free Article

http://www.At their request, this n...tory/1595443-recruiting-focus-generating-buzz

Syracuse director of recruiting Eric White details recruiting impact from their LSU performance

Syracuse went toe-to-toe with SEC powerhouse LSU, there was a lot of buzz about the football program and their future. That buzz was felt not only in the fan base and among the national media, but also amongst recruits.

Direct of Recruiting, Eric White, saw that first hand after the Orange left the Carrier Dome turf despite not coming out on top.

“I think that game was huge for us,” White said. “I’ve seen it first hand with recruits contacting me. Some that have been on the radar and some that are new on the radar. That game, I think, really opened some kids’ eyes. A nationally televised game against a top-10 team, to be able to show kids who Syracuse is and what we can do.

“To kind of see all of that young talent we have on the field. That we’re kind of an up and coming place. That LSU game was huge for us to show that we can compete with anybody.”

It did not just make an impression on those that Syracuse was already recruiting, but also prospects for which the Orange had not started that process. In fact, White said he had several reach out to him unprompted.

“They watched the game,” White said. “They saw how we played. They saw how our team got after it. That was something they wanted to be a part of. That was something that was really neat after that game. I got reached out by a lot of kids. Kids committed to us, kids not committed to us, kids that weren’t on our radar and kids who were on the radar.

“That was encouraging to see. It was something that our staff kind of knew with trying to get to that level. It’s nice to show all the kids out there where we are as a program.”

The natural progression from creating buzz is capitalizing on it. So how does Syracuse do that?

“I think we just keep getting after it on the playing field and then everything will translate into recruiting,” White said. “The more success we have in that arena, the easier my job is going to be. We can kind of build off that LSU game as a program and in recruiting.

“Like I said, just kind of show everybody where we’re at as a program. I think a lot of it is keep playing on the field at a high level. Everything else will fall into place.”

good read for all the hand-wringers out there who complain about SU signing home and homes with the LSUs and Wisconsins of the world and want to see SU playing 3 Sunbelt teams and an FCS school every year OOC.

Very few people said lets play 4 terrible teams, but a lot of people said lets not play 3 really good teams in one OOC schedule.

Remember when people thought White would follow McF***it to nit state aka south rutgers?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom