Recruiting at Syracuse - I was Wrong | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting at Syracuse - I was Wrong

javadoc

All American
Well. I've said a lot on here over the years (20+), and want to come clean on something. I've long been of the opinion, and have said so several times, that recruiting at Syracuse is just plain existentially hard, and no one could succeed at it from day 1. I recall saying that even if Urban Meyer walked through the door, he would not be able to land top classes right away. That the common tropes about recruiting to Syracuse were insurmountable, because they were true.

Disclaimer: I do not like the transfer portal, and NIL the way it is being used. I haven't changed my mind on those. But as real components of "recruiting" now, they can't be discounted. And I have to say, taking the process for what it is worth, Fran Brown is probably an upgrade from Urban Meyer. Fran (and the wonderful staff he has assembled) has directly disproven my claim. This guy is like The Mule from the Foundation Series, a rara avis, lightning-in-a-bottle personality. But it's more than him - it's the intersection of him, his career, his background, and our program. It beggars the imagination. Based on what we know, we got The Guy. THE guy. THE GUY.

We're not competing, on paper, with Georgia and Ohio State and some factorie$ yet, and maybe we won't. But those ratings are based on prospects who haven't played a down of college football, and the transfer portal at least gives us a chance to get the kids who needed time to figure out what was really important.

Fran is a machine. Get out of the way and watch him work.

Tip-off: the number of coaches and prospects who say they are blessed and privileged to be offered access to Fran's program. Dumbledore would be looking into the Pensieve right about now and saying, hmmmmm.

I'll withhold my mea culpas until someone other than the best recruiter in the history of the world does it.

Well. I've said a lot on here over the years (20+), and want to come clean on something. I've long been of the opinion, and have said so several times, that recruiting at Syracuse is just plain existentially hard, and no one could succeed at it from day 1. I recall saying that even if Urban Meyer walked through the door, he would not be able to land top classes right away. That the common tropes about recruiting to Syracuse were insurmountable, because they were true.

Disclaimer: I do not like the transfer portal, and NIL the way it is being used. I haven't changed my mind on those. But as real components of "recruiting" now, they can't be discounted. And I have to say, taking the process for what it is worth, Fran Brown is probably an upgrade from Urban Meyer. Fran (and the wonderful staff he has assembled) has directly disproven my claim. This guy is like The Mule from the Foundation Series, a rara avis, lightning-in-a-bottle personality. But it's more than him - it's the intersection of him, his career, his background, and our program. It beggars the imagination. Based on what we know, we got The Guy. THE guy. THE GUY.

We're not competing, on paper, with Georgia and Ohio State and some factorie$ yet, and maybe we won't. But those ratings are based on prospects who haven't played a down of college football, and the transfer portal at least gives us a chance to get the kids who needed time to figure out what was really important.

Tip-off: the number of coaches and prospects who say they are blessed and privileged to be offered access to Fran's program. Dumbledore would be looking into the Pensieve right about now and saying, hmmmmm.
Love the quote of the Mule in the Foundation series. It really does seem as if Fran is otherworldly.

I'm still of the opinion that hiring Chesney would have cemented the program as a mediocre program for the long haul.

I'm still of the opinion that hiring Chesney would have cemented the program as a mediocre program for the long haul.
Thank God, we'll never know. I don't think any coach could have assembled the roster that Fran and his staff are putting together. I can't wait for games, I think Fran is going to show that he is more than just a recruiter.

I'd always say...if the basketball program could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. If a northern school like Michigan, Ohio State or PSU could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. But deep down I didn't think they could. Not only has Fran proven that, he's proved it in the first few weeks and months! I mean, holy crap. Put up a 9/10 win season and now we are a program that can recruit on its on field success.

Thank God, we'll never know. I don't think any coach could have assembled the roster that Fran and his staff are putting together. I can't wait for games, I think Fran is going to show that he is more than just a recruiter.
Yeah I just think anyone that was amped up about him bringing over a 1AA staff after the Dino experiment was just satisfied with Syracuse being a 2nd rate at best program permanently. It's sad how far our expectations as a fan base had fallen.

Agreed.

I think many now realize (including myself) that Fran and Coach Elijah are probably two of the best in the business when it comes to recruiting, if not the best. It wasn't just talk or where they were recruiting to. Sure it is surprising to see them have this much success at Syracuse because it's really never been done before at this level. If they can win 8-9 games this year they could really blow this thing wide open. Still a lot to prove on the field though as well.

Most coaches who bitch and moan about the current state of college athletics won't be successful. Those that adapt and accept the current landscape will be just fine. HCFB seems to relish the opportunity as well. The job is now so much more than X's and O's, takes real vision and leadership to manage all the staff, players, etc.

But Fran isn't just big game hunting, he's bringing in local kids with great measurables and many will need a couple years most likely. He clearly has a plan and there seems to be a nice balance to what he is doing on the recruiting front as well as the portal. I think he has a great approach

And Fran might need a bit of time as well to continue to grow into the position and that's fine as well. He's going to make some mistakes just a question how he learns from them

This staff and approach is skewed at the far end of the recruiting end of the program skill mix. This is a pretty unique experiment

It’s going better than could have been expected so far. I was all in day one. Looking forward to watching this unfold

Agreed.

I think many now realize (including myself) that Fran and Coach Elijah are probably two of the best in the business when it comes to recruiting, if not the best. It wasn't just talk or where they were recruiting to. Sure it is surprising to see them have this much success at Syracuse because it's really never been done before at this level. If they can win 8-9 games this year they could really blow this thing wide open. Still a lot to prove on the field though as well.

Most coaches who bitch and moan about the current state of college athletics won't be successful. Those that adapt and accept the current landscape will be just fine. HCFB seems to relish the opportunity as well. The job is now so much more than X's and O's, takes real vision and leadership to manage all the staff, players, etc.

But Fran isn't just big game hunting, he's bringing in local kids with great measurables and many will need a couple years most likely. He clearly has a plan and there seems to be a nice balance to what he is doing on the recruiting front as well as the portal. I think he has a great approach

And Fran might need a bit of time as well to continue to grow into the position and that's fine as well. He's going to make some mistakes just a question how he learns from them
Yep to all of that

+3 internets for the Mule and Foundation references.

200w.gif

I'd always say...if the basketball program could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. If a northern school like Michigan, Ohio State or PSU could recruit at a national level then so could SU football. But deep down I didn't think they could. Not only has Fran proven that, he's proved it in the first few weeks and months! I mean, holy crap. Put up a 9/10 win season and now we are a program that can recruit on its on field success.
See i always thought we could. Now i was thinking 15-20 ranking recruiting wise but Fran has exceeded my expectations

Before the hire, I had no idea who Fran Brown was.
After the hire, my first reaction was "what-the effe is JW doing".
Right now...I'm simply gobsmacked by how, and how quickly, he's managed to change the entire tenor of the program.
Everything's possible now. There are no limitations. Wow.

We certainly have competed against the factories for several recruits

It sounds good, but the resources for recruiting is not in the same stratosphere compared to Michigan, OSU and PSU. SU might finally be putting some resources in the program. We have been way behind upper level ACC schools.

One thing that Fran Brown is really succeeded on, is the courting of donors to get our NIL going. It was moribund at best previously, but it seems like it’s really cooking right now.

There's talk on the basketball board that Fran's been so successful he's soaking up all the NIL that could’ve otherwise gone to the basketball program!

No offense to Bob. I’m sure he will be a great HC and still may very well prove to be the better guy down the line, but hindsight, imagine if we missed out on all this? We haven’t even played a game yet and i’ve had more fun outside a couple handful of Saturday’s than I did most of the Babers era. I probably said it a million times, in this day and age there is more to it than just lining up on Saturday’s in the fall, and then never hearing a peep about the program until next year. If I could draw up how I wanted a program run, this is it! Even the recruiting assistants are getting mic time in April. Not to mention we are doing what 95% said could never be done again at Syracuse Football.

If it’s any consolation, you are not the only one my friend! To say the least. Now, of course, we need to see that translated on the field to a decent extent to solidify things.

Better results, better in game decisions, better discipline. I’m happy to say, I am cautiously optimistic on all of that

No offense to Bob. I’m sure he will be a great HC and still may very well prove to be the better guy down the line, but hindsight, imagine if we missed out on all this? We haven’t even played a game yet and i’ve had more fun outside a couple handful of Saturday’s than I did most of the Babers era. I probably said it a million times, in this day and age there is more to it than just lining up on Saturday’s in the fall, and then never hearing a peep about the program until next year. If I could draw up how I wanted a program run, this is it! Even the recruiting assistants are getting mic time in April. Not to mention we are doing what 95% said could never be done again at Syracuse Football.
All due respect to Bob Chesney, but he never would have built up the program like this. Basically across the board from assistants, to recruits, to alumni/fan interest. I think he's a quality coach but this situation needed a specialized individual. So much of what has been done has been based on relationships.

All due respect to Bob Chesney, but he never would have built up the program like this. Basically across the board from assistants, to recruits, to alumni/fan interest. I think he's a quality coach but this situation needed a specialized individual. So much of what has been done has been based on relationships.
Would have been different but he is s very good young coach and wins. Really like what Fran is doing and super impressed. Many schools have great recruiting classes and don’t win ( A & M, Miami, Nebraska, etc.) Think we have all the pieces and more depth to have a great year. Need a backup QB and maybe a few minor pieces. Curious to see how the new Dline does also. The offseason buzz and excitement has been fun

You might be right. What Fran has done was a ballsy move by Wildhack, but this guy is the kind of guy who used to be the lifeblood of our program. He has reconnected to us to our old recruiting grounds, but it's like he has completely lived the life these kids are living, and he is proof that hard work and great values can allow you to accomplish anything. He's a rock star and it's exactly what we needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom