Recruiting in NY | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting in NY

It really doesn't matter where the kids come from you know, right?

Duke football doesn't own NC. Stamford football doesn't own CA. Same with Northwestern and IL.

About the only NY kid that legit could have maybe helping save this program from going into the abyss was Paulus because of his position. Perhaps Chad Kelly is going to make a claim to be on that list, as well.

NY isn't Syracuse's roster problem. Now it's attendance issues...

It really doesn't matter where the kids come from you know, right?

Duke football doesn't own NC. Stamford football doesn't own CA. Same with Northwestern and IL.

About the only NY kid that legit could have maybe helping save this program from going into the abyss was Paulus because of his position. Perhaps Chad Kelly is going to make a claim to be on that list, as well.

NY isn't Syracuse's roster problem. Now it's attendance issues...

I agree that in the realm of things, it doesn't matter where the recruits come from. However, SU is the only major college football program in the state of NY, so we should want to attract our state's top recruits. Duke is a small private school in NC that bleeds hoops. Not to mention the fact that the top football players in NC have UNC, NCST, USC & Clemson to compete with in their own backyards, which are programs considerably more stout on the gridiron. Stanford completes with UCLA, USC & Cal for its state's top players. So, there's a huge difference in those analogies. Moreover, Stanford's & Duke's incredibly high academic standing separates them as well when attempting to make that causal relationship.

I agree that in the realm of things, it doesn't matter where the recruits come from. However, SU is the only major college football program in the state of NY, so we should want to attract our state's top recruits. Duke is a small private school in NC that bleeds hoops. Not to mention the fact that the top football players in NC have UNC, NCST, USC & Clemson to compete with in their own backyards, which are programs considerably more stout on the gridiron. Stanford completes with UCLA, USC & Cal for its state's top players. So, there's a huge difference in those analogies. Moreover, Stanford's & Duke's incredibly high academic standing separates them as well when attempting to make that causal relationship.

top NY kids want to go to factories. the rest are more or less development as they've only played a fraction of the football as kids from other states have.

That said, we’ve got 2 really good looking New York wide receiver prospects committed right now. 2018 might see an uptick as well.

I personally don’t care where we get kids from.

True, good football players come from everywhere, but we're a regional fanbase for the most part. Regional pride is most certainly a part of our loyalty. Recruiting local kids brings the interest out for the casual fans also.

True, good football players come from everywhere, but we're a regional fanbase for the most part. Regional pride is most certainly a part of our loyalty. Recruiting local kids brings the interest out for the casual fans also.

Agreed. But they shouldn't take a kid lower on their board than another, just because he's a NY recruit.

I completely agree... under one condition: Can they play in the new systems that Dino and staff have implemented.

We certainly don't need NYS players simply for the sake of having NYS players on the roster.

Cases in point: the new staff didn't offer either Noah Jordan-Williams or Isaiah McDuffie. Both wanted to come here but apparently they're not good fits for the new systems.

Should we have offered them simply because they're from NYS? Imo, absolutely not. We need to trust the staff.

Which states produce the most NFL players? Florida, California, Texas, Georgia, Ohio

#15 ranked state in producing NFL players with 36.

Of those 36 NFL players from New York, 4 went to SU. That's pretty bad.
If you want a good laugh, check out where many on this list went to college: Which states produce the most NFL players? Florida, California, Texas, Georgia, Ohio

Many were not highly recruited players. NYS, for the most part, produces players that need time to develop. You won't find too many "plug and play" type players on this list.

I would say that some of that is the bigger kids coming around to play in our yard has hurt some (Samuel at OSU Ishaq at ND, or Ogundeku at Clemson for example). Apart from the few actual top notch recruits that are easily wooed away from the dimmer lights and/or colder weather, are the "second tier" of top NYS recruits. Those are the ones we compete with Pitt, BC, Rutgers, and occasionally PSU for. Every one of those schools is closer to us than any of the examples you mention as a competing draw for Stanford save maybe Cal, (NW shares a similar isolation in that Illinois is the only "local" competition. Maybe Madison is in that same radius).

I agree with most however that we are talking about a different caliber of average recruit. Heck even our RB coach chose to leave the state to the bigger name. I don't know if or how hard we recruited him, but most kids in our part of the country are looking for an opportunity to get away from home, so the good ones that get a sniff jump at it.

The large number of "not highly recruited" players in the NFL might suggest different development schedules. But it also demonstrates, I think, just how imprecise and imperfect college recruiting is.

Schools and recruiting services are missing on some of the top talents. These are players whose skill levels, physical attributes and personality traits allow them to perform at the highest level.

The line positions seem to be the easiest for the schools to get right. When the starting OLs and DLs are announced on Sundays they are usually from the power schools. But the skill position players frequently are from colleges you've hardly heard of.

If New York's top recruits wouldn't sniff Top 100 in Florida or Top 50 in New Jersey, should we still go for them>

Looking at one of the recruiting sites, we've made offers to 4 NY players who are 3 stars. At least one of them hasn't committed to anyone. One has committed to Cuse. We've made an offer to a 5 star lineman as well, who hasn't committed to anyone.

The northeast will have a few 4 or 5 star guys every year. You can't run a successful program on New York area or even NE players. However, if we develop a strong brand with Babers, then he'll reach a point where he'd get high odds of landing these players when he feels they would be a good fit.

I tell you, I laugh when I hear people say we shouldnt get a kid just because he is from NY. lol Of course we shouldnt and it should never be a discussion regarding that. Its a no brainer, no coach is going to solely grab a kid just because he is from a particular state. if he does, then he should be fired. You recruit a kid that fits your system, your culture. Its a bonus if he happens to be a instate player. but it really should be some instate players on the team if they can play and be coachable. I dont know a good program who doesnt have any instate players. Every team has players they miss on and every team has players who werent highly recruited but they take a chance on them. Some end up being studs. There isnt an exact science to recruiting but everyone has their formula and all formula's include recruiting kids in state and surrounding states.

Last edited:

You're making the assumption that college football means something in NYS. It doesn't outside of those bandwagon fans for ND, Mich, PSU etc. and the smaller pockets for for us, Buffalo and down the line.

Has NY state football taken a nosedive in the last 25 years? I remember Coach Mac saying that our primary recruiting territory was the I-90 corridor. If you look at our roster from the Mac / P years I'll bet you'll find about 40% from that area (meaning MA, CT, NY and into OH) with NJ, PA and Florida accounting for most of the rest.

That list is distorted. There may be 36 names on it, but there are kids like Donovan Smith who was born in NY but played high school ball in Maryland.

What would be more valuable to me would be kids that played high school ball in NY and then eventually made it to the NFL, excluding Milford Academy.

Can we stickie this thread? And lock it? Or trot it out twice a year (that's my estimate for the frequency of this topic.)