Recruiting Philosophy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting Philosophy

And you know this how? And what school actually have a transition plan? Most schools get new coaches without notice. There are a number of schools with older coaches ( like Duke and UNC), so is there negative talk because they may not be there much longer?
They’re landing the one and dones. We’re not anymore. We need the top 3-4 year guys. We’re missing out on too many, mainly at PF and Center.

I am convinced if you gave JB the Dike
Roster he would go further than I think it will under K this year.
Give JB talent and he would get that talent to play championship level D.
Funny... back in the day Jb had the exact OPPOSITE reputation and it was well earned. see 1988-92

They’re landing the one and dones. We’re not anymore. We need the top 3-4 year guys. We’re missing out on too many, mainly at PF and Center.
You didn't really answer the main question, how do you "know " that schools use the negative recruiting that JB's tenure is unknown.

I think it’s extremely accurate to say JB is a liability on the recruiting trail for elite talent, but I don’t think it’s due to his age or remaining coaching years.

"So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking ..."

maxresdefault.jpg

I disagree that the 5 is that important in college hoops. I think the problem is our centers are literally in the bottom ten percent of college centers that the position has become a huge liability. If we could get an even average center, we would be fine.

I do agree on the 1... most important position in hoops and the game is littered with high quality 1s and we have struggled with finding an even average 1.
At least recruit athleticism at center. Our guys are thin, weak and unathletic. I don’t care that PC is 7’2” or Sid 6’10”, neither has the quickness, jumping ability or strength to consistently play well at this level.

At least recruit athleticism at center. Our guys are thin, weak and unathletic. I don’t care that PC is 7’2” or Sid 6’10”, neither has the quickness, jumping ability or strength to consistently play well at this level.
Somehow UCF gets Tacko Fall, FSU gets Koumadje...we end up with Chukwu.

I am convinced if you gave JB the Dike
Roster he would go further than I think it will under K this year.
Give JB talent and he would get that talent to play championship level D.
Might surprise people, given my takes on JB these past few years, but I actually agree.

Unfortunately for JB & staff, recruiting is a huge component of coaching, especially if you struggle at development.

You guys are talking out both sides of your mouth, no?

You rail on the style of the offense but think JB is a better coach than K.

“Something is afoot at the Circle K”

I like our PG recruits coming in next year. The recruiting philosophy seems to have changed here in my opinion. They feel different than guys like Frank and Carey. They are both pure shooters. I think JG3 can be a playmaker and will be more like a natural PG when he doesn’t have to go 1 on 5 every offensive possession like he does in hs. Goodine is a crazy springy athlete who has been filling the stat sheet all year.

Guerrier looks like a grown azz man already and JBA has some offensive skills and is thicker than anyone we have at the 5 already.

I’m willing to let JB tread water for now as we turn the script on sanctions.

I’m also beginning to wonder if some losses might be addition by subtraction.

If you want to complain about lack of rebounding coach (in many games this year) maybe we should recruit some bigs that aren't toothpicks and weigh more than 190 pounds. We have had the same problem for many years now. If you are recruiting these players then its your fault.

I like our PG recruits coming in next year. The recruiting philosophy seems to have changed here in my opinion. They feel different than guys like Frank and Carey. They are both pure shooters. I think JG3 can be a playmaker and will be more like a natural PG when he doesn’t have to go 1 on 5 every offensive possession like he does in hs. Goodine is a crazy springy athlete who has been filling the stat sheet all year.

Guerrier looks like a grown azz man already and JBA has some offensive skills and is thicker than anyone we have at the 5 already.

I posted in another thread that I’m not looking for “Fire JB” chatter this year.

Do I wish he’d retire? Yes. ...but I’m not to the point where I’d fire him.

That being said, every year we’re being told that next year will be different. Forgive me for not getting my hopes up.

I do like the focus on shooters and do believe we’ll be better off without Battle/Howard/Chukwu and our incoming guys like JBA/Guerrier/Girard/Goodine.

Does that translate to a better season next year?... Until we play some games it’s still a major question mark as to what we have at PG & C. Given that’s been the crux of our issues since joining the ACC, I need to see it to believe it.

Another season like the past 4 and I think we need to seriously discuss removing JB if he doesn’t have any signature recruits on the way in.

I posted in another thread that I’m not looking for “Fire JB” chatter this year.

Do I wish he’d retire? Yes. ...but I’m not to the point where I’d fire him.

That being said, every year we’re being told that next year will be different. Forgive me for not getting my hopes up.

I do like the focus on shooters and do believe we’ll be better off without Battle/Howard/Chukwu and our incoming guys like JBA/Guerrier/Girard/Goodine.

Does that translate to a better season next year?... Until we play some games it’s still a major question mark as to what we have at PG & C. Given that’s been the crux of our issues since joining the ACC, I need to see it to believe it.

Another season like the past 4 and I think we need to seriously discuss removing JB if he doesn’t have any signature recruits on the way in.
I just wonder how differently everyone would feel if Stewart went Orange. Missing out on him to Hop was a gut punch that everyone seems to be reeling from and has exacerbated an extremely negative narrative.

I just wonder how differently everyone would feel if Stewart went Orange. Missing out on him to Hop was a gut punch that everyone seems to be reeling from and has exacerbated an extremely negative narrative.
Recruiting is probably 50% of my issues with JB, especially at the 1 & 5, so for me, at least, you’d be correct.

He seems to be losing on and off the court and that’s troubling.

The other 50% is development and the Zone obsession (in terms of how we play it). However, if you recruit and win guys like Stewart, development doesn’t matter as much and the Zone looks better so...

i think that we can probably mostly agree that JB went into sort of a CEO type mode in the last years of Hopkins. i think the real question about recruiting and player development is if JB is being exposed because it was actually Hopkins putting in the day to day work. there is also the good cop/bad cop thing they had going on. now there just seems to be JB's bad cop routine.

I am saying JB is a better defensive coach and if you gave him the horses to run his ISO offense he would do better than K.
JB’s zone works and if you give him talent I think he would do well.
The problem is he doesn’t get the talent K has gotten.
I think K has wasted all that NBA talent but JB would do better with it.
That is my point.

You didn't really answer the main question, how do you "know " that schools use the negative recruiting that JB's tenure is unknown.
Don’t be idealistic. If we’re competing for a recruit against other schools, you know they are being negative against us. In this world of FBI investigations and shoe payments, saying negative things about the a competitive school is on the milder range of tactics. Do you really think opposing schools are simply touting their academic programs and basketball ball opportunity to get these kids to commit?

I am saying JB is a better defensive coach and if you gave him the horses to run his ISO offense he would do better than K.
JB’s zone works and if you give him talent I think he would do well.
The problem is he doesn’t get the talent K has gotten.
I think K has wasted all that NBA talent but JB would do better with it.
That is my point.
i think you lost me at "K has wasted all that NBA talent". huh? wasted how by being awesome every year?

i think you lost me at "K has wasted all that NBA talent". huh? wasted how by being awesome every year?
K has had 7 players drafted in the first round and a player taken in the top 3 of the draft the last 4 years.
He got the NC in 2015.
Since then
2016- first round exit
2017- Sweet 16
2018- Elite Eight.

Duke has severely underachievered in the tournament the last 3 years because of their defense.
If you gave JB that talent he would have taught them to play the zone and done better.
Duke won it all while using JB’s zone in 2015 because of how bad Okafor was as a defender.

Give JB talent I think with his current zone he would do well.

guess the question is then why do the top kids want to play ball or even sit for K and not JB ?

We don't develop guys? Then why did all the recruits mentioned above leave early. Oh my head.

Because the NBA drafts POTENTIAL...Who in the above list did we develop? Go for it...I’m waiting...

Hop recruited him. Why go here? To play for the coached he didn’t sign up for? You’re rediculous.

Don’t be idealistic. If we’re competing for a recruit against other schools, you know they are being negative against us. In this world of FBI investigations and shoe payments, saying negative things about the a competitive school is on the milder range of tactics. Do you really think opposing schools are simply touting their academic programs and basketball ball opportunity to get these kids to commit?
First of you state it as a fact when it isn't. Yeah a few may do this but you make it sound like it's the first line of every opposing coach when he recruits against JB. You also make it sound like JB is the only old coach around and has an unknown time left (which is untrue, it's pretty well accepted its 3 yesrs) which is also untrue. There are coaches who steal in the hot seat who's tenure is questionable. Everybody has warts and some/many coaches may choose to use them for recruiting, so why make it like JB is the only one and needs to go because of it.

First of you state it as a fact when it isn't. Yeah a few may do this but you make it sound like it's the first line of every opposing coach when he recruits against JB. You also make it sound like JB is the only old coach around and has an unknown time left (which is untrue, it's pretty well accepted its 3 yesrs) which is also untrue. There are coaches who steal in the hot seat who's tenure is questionable. Everybody has warts and some/many coaches may choose to use them for recruiting, so why make it like JB is the only one and needs to go because of it.

Then let him recruit some players. And don’t return to the ‘80’s and 90’s. The time is now.

Until then, everyone can be skeptical.

So obviously we didnt get any blue chip recruits for next year...but people really seem to downplay what kind of kids we have coming into the program. This class coming in looks very promising. Yes, we all want the stud 5 star center that we are missing but I think we will be ok. Our recruiting philosophy is usually the long/athletic "zone fit" kids but this class coming in is a bit different. Every single one of these kids are offensively skilled and we have been lacking that for awhile now. We always seem to recruit great looking athletes that cant throw the ball into the ocean. These kids are all bucket getters and can shoot from extended range. I'll say this, I wish JB grinded harder on the recruting trail. He has definitely slowed down in recent years and in today's recruting world it's a grind. We have to do a better job at showing love to the guys we really want, but I think our assistants have done a great job at picking up the slack. With that said, recruits want to feel the love from the head coach not just the assistants and that's on JB. Sometimes he tries to close and by that time I think its too late and some of these guys have established better relationships with other head coaches even if they have a great relationship with gmac/red/griff. Anyways, just in case some people on here dont realize what we have coming in for next year.

Brycen Goodine: Rhode Island Player of the Year/Nepsac AA Player of the year and First team honors as well as tournament mvp and champions in the AA division.

Quincy Guerrier: #1 rated Canadian prospect and if he was in the US he would be a top 50 ranked kid all day every day on every recruting site. He had a good year in the EYBL his junior year and he absolutely tore up the Adidas Gauntlet series this summer as a senior. Kid is physically a beast and will be college ready from the moment he steps on campus. Known to be a big time offensive player that can really lite it up when he gets going.

JG3: THE ALL TIME NYS SCORING CHAMP and it's not even close. NYS Gatorade Player of the year last year and should be this year. He has numerous other awards/mvps this year at tournaments throughout the country and was a stud football player for 4 years. All around winner with a dog mentality that we are desperately missing on our current roster. This kid will be a leader. If he committed to Duke he would be a 4 star prospect and probably in the MCDAA Game just because of political B.S.

JBA: looks like a solid prospect that's already bigger then every 5 we have on our current team at 6'11 and 230lbs. If we use the high ball screen with JBA like we do with PC at least guys will have to stay with JBA because hes capable of knocking down the long range shot. This is also a kid that our staff was very high on throughout the ENTIRE recruiting process even with his injury over the summer. Hes going to need work but hes better then many on here give him credit for.

Maybe we land Jesse Edward's and he looks pretty promising but there isnt much to go off of with him. We could also look at the grad transfer market when it becomes available but I'm not sure if we go that route considering the recent offer to Edward's.

In closing, the guys we have coming in are no turds...we are still recruiting pretty darn good and I think people are so caught up now a days with rankings and recruiting sites especially with how big social media is now. Lots of politics behind ranking sites. We can do better, but the sky is definitely NOT falling. The past few years have been frustrating for us and I think we are all a bit disappointed with the quality of play we have been watching lately. It's been stagnant for sure but I think we can turn this around. The season isnt over and I'm still along for the ride even if I wanted to smash my TV in half the past few games. We will be ok and we have a great basketball program...the biggest question/worry I have is who will be our next head coach when JB hangs it up. That's what scares me!

it's over - time to start over
The only way we start over is a new coach and that ain't happening until 22-23. We're going to have to dig in and endure it. And the problem will get worse in the next 3 years. The next guy better be a program rebuilder because that is what we'll need.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom