Recruiting | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting

qdawgg

Night Biking Enthusiast
For those who have a good grasp of recruiting... obviously we've had the same recruits as before and today has only added 1 recruit. But what do people think of the recruiting class so far? If we added 1 more high level 3 star or another 4 star how good is this class?

For those who have a good grasp of recruiting... obviously we've had the same recruits as before and today has only added 1 recruit. But what do people think of the recruiting class so far? If we added 1 more high level 3 star or another 4 star how good is this class?

Same 'ol same 'ol.

Positives... currently filling out a lot of needs. Really solid mix of high upside athletes and guys who profile as consistent performers/leader types. Going down the list on a case by case basis, I don't see more than a couple guys that I am really not all that excited to see what they can do for us.

Negatives... I would like to see our OL come in a little bigger. Hopefully they will have the luxury of RS, but with two guys graduating and Hickey's injury, who knows. Obviously, still would like to see a couple more guys who have upside AND are already relatively polished... but that will come.

Wild Cards... I think Cornelius is going to be very good for us, but if he comes in with a little more speed than advertised, he could leave here as an NFL draft pick.... All of a sudden there is vague talk regarding the slimming chances of Smallwood ending up here. I hope that isn't the case. Whether it's as a speed back, punt returner, or lining up in the slot, Smallwood's speed could combine with Kobena and Hale to put a lot of elusiveness on the field when need be..... In the search for Rippy, Neal, and Logan, Myles Davis is the forgotten man. How good is he? Are we happy with how Spruill has done in the middle this year? If Myles is as good as the Milford coach was saying, does it make sense for him to come in and split time in the middle with Diabate, let Spruill go back to one side, and let the young trio of Lynch, Davis, and Vigille split time in different packages as they develop?...... Is Whigham capable of taking a RS year and transitioning to CB?

Overall... Very happy so far. Let's get Morgan next. Still could be better, and it will get there.

Agreed. Love bringing in two DT's Like the LB's as well. AC could end up being the real deal at WR. I really like both TE's especially given we are so thin at the position. Would like to see us close with another RB

we need a RB with break-away speed who can hit the hole and also his extra gear as well.

The strength of the class is LBs (still needed, especially for coverage teams); a decent, deep class overall, but without a lot of flash (playmakers).

I noted that Louisville was playing 6 or 7 frosh (as position players) against us. We aren't landing kids of that quality at the top end of our class. Maybe Ron Thompson is good enough to come in and play right away at TE.

a decent, deep class overall, but without a lot of flash (playmakers).
That's why I think it's imperative that we bring in Lynch and/or Morris. Both appear to be explosive playmakers with good measurables, something Marrone's offense definitely needs. As solid as Bailey is, for this offense to really click, I think it needs more size and explosion from the tailback position.

Maybe McFarlane is the answer but I'd really like to pick up at least one of these two backs to compete w/ him (and the returning backs). I think the RB position is wide open next year. The more solid contenders, the better.

We need gamebreakers at wide receiver. The coaching staff continues to struggle fulfilling this need.

This class was already loaded with athletes. Adding Ron Thompson adds to that.

Right now it is average ... 6th in big east per scout

IF we and Morgan, Morris, Lynch, Neal and some of our current guys receive upgrades we will crack top 40 ... a solid class

Need to finish strong though, and yesterday was a good start

In the search for Rippy, Neal, and Logan, Myles Davis is the forgotten man. How good is he? Are we happy with how Spruill has done in the middle this year? If Myles is as good as the Milford coach was saying, does it make sense for him to come in and split time in the middle with Diabate, let Spruill go back to one side, and let the young trio of Lynch, Davis, and Vigille split time in different packages as they develop?

When Myles Davis comes in, he will be the most physically imposing LB we will have. He will be the bulkiest and the strongest, too. We'll have to see what his knee does, and if his lateral movement is okay, but he really is a physical specimen.

I don't have a grasp on recruiting so maybe I shouldn't opine, but it looks to me like the type of class that will help make for a competitive team, but probably not a conference championship level team unless a lot of guys outperform their ranking, and nearly all the rest at least perform to their ranking.

My impression is that this is a solid class and a continued progression upward in athleticism, skill and potential that we have seen since Marrone came in 3 years ago. From what he has said, recruiting will take a big upswing with next year's class. We shall see.

exactly otto

Currently this class is like some of the GRob and end of P era and other HCDM classes. Upper 40's - Mid 50's in ranking and towards the bottom in comparison to fellow BE teams. Not saying there are not great prospects - there are - right now as of today it is no different than where Cuse has been. If they finish strong (Neal, Morgan, Lynch, Morris) and get a couple guys upgraded (Washington should be a 3, Ben Lewis might become a 3, Knapp might become a 4, Whigham a 3) then this would be rankings wise the deepest and highest ranked class at SU since '99 or '00 as it would crack the top 40 and finish around 37 or so.

My impression is that this is a solid class and a continued progression upward in athleticism, skill and potential that we have seen since Marrone came in 3 years ago. From what he has said, recruiting will take a big upswing with next year's class. We shall see.
It always seems to be "next year's class" that will take that big upswing. It reminds me of business plans that always show a hockey stick pattern, but the projected upswing in sales is always 3 or 4 years away. And, for football recruiting, there are always the excuses -- facilities, GROB, no bowl game, or at this poin, only one bowl game and one is not enough to truly get attention from prospects.
I do think we are getting better, but in slow steps, and more in the depth of the class than in the top 5 or 6 guys who are the difference makers. When your best WR recruit is #120 in position rankings, he may not be ready to help much.

Early reports say that next year's class is going to be the one, from really respected posters on this board who know more than the lot.

IMO it looks like recruiting is steadily getting better. We are getting more guys that are physically ready (or at least much closer) to being able to compete for PT right away. Not sure if there are any gamegreakers in there or not but a few appear to have the potential.

6'4 240 lb TE vs 220 lbers, a bunch of 6'2-6'3 220-230 lb LBs vs 6'0 200-210 lbers, 190 lb RB and DB's vs 170. Guys in the trenches will always take a couple years to be ready, and hopefully with the prior classes another year in they will be afforded that luxury.

I think it's very important to get to a bowl game this year to show consistant improvement. Doesn't much matter which one, but we at least need to show well in it.

Next year the team SHOULD be very good so therefore I'd imagine in season recruiting will be that much better if not in the summer. Add to that that the 2013 class will have had Marrone after them since FR and SO years in HS so it should be much easier than arriving late to the party.

If we get to a bowl game this year and win it, I think recruiting will really take off starting next year. Bank on it.

Its nice to hear that recruiting for this year is pretty much finished. It seems like the late start that Marrone got in year one is being overcome. It sounds silly but SU has been fighting for too many kids in December and January. Wrapping this class up early should give the staff an earlier start on evaluating talent for next year. I find it interesting that the staff does all their on evaluations and doesn't use any scouting services. This must take a great deal of time and effort, lets see if it starts to pay off.

For those who have a good grasp of recruiting...
Based on various posts here and on our previous site (nothing super original, summarizing):

Most of the class is solid depth types of guys, or 2-year starters. Not a lot of kids who are going to come in and make an immediate impact.

Next year is expected to be the first opportunity for a "big year" since it will be the first year that the staff is "caught up" in the process, and has been recruiting the kids from the very beginning. They're done with this year's evaluations and are only trying to lock up a few big prospects. Most of the attention is on next year already.

Jersey Orange said we are involved with some shocking names and prospects (in a good way). And someone else said we have evaluated a couple thousand kids for 2013. This should be the last year where we are overcoming real, logistical obstacles to recruiting. It's all on the coaches now operating in a business-as-usual mode.

It always seems to be "next year's class" that will take that big upswing. It reminds me of business plans that always show a hockey stick pattern, but the projected upswing in sales is always 3 or 4 years away. And, for football recruiting, there are always the excuses -- facilities, GROB, no bowl game, or at this poin, only one bowl game and one is not enough to truly get attention from prospects.
I do think we are getting better, but in slow steps, and more in the depth of the class than in the top 5 or 6 guys who are the difference makers. When your best WR recruit is #120 in position rankings, he may not be ready to help much.
For sure, the "leap" keeps getting pushed off. I'm very curious to see if next year actually is the year the recruiting is clearly better.

I really, really like what I hear from recruiting, and if what people say is going to happen will happen, I will be ecstatic. Still wish we ran a different offense though that I think would utilize college age football players better. Though I guess if rumors that we will see a new offensive system to go with these new recruits is true, well then the do I know?

For sure, the "leap" keeps getting pushed off. I'm very curious to see if next year actually is the year the recruiting is clearly better.
I was surprised that things didn't take off immediately, given the recruiting reputation of Marrone, Adkins, etc. I've heard enough plausible reasons cited why it hasn't. Next year has to be it, as I suggested in my prior post in the thread. No more excuses at that point. Everything within the staff's control will truly be in their control.

I gotta tell you, I still worry about the facilities and the fan support. But we have to have recruiters who can overcome that.

I was surprised that things didn't take off immediately, given the recruiting reputation of Marrone, Adkins, etc. I've heard enough plausible reasons cited why it hasn't. Next year has to be it, as I suggested in my prior post in the thread. No more excuses at that point. Everything within the staff's control will truly be in their control.

I gotta tell you, I still worry about the facilities and the fan support. But we have to have recruiters who can overcome that.

God willing, the facilities upgrades will be at least started to some degree by next year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom