Class of 2014 - Recruits and Offers | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Recruits and Offers

BlazeOrange said:
I don't think it's outright lying (although some of that goes on), but a misinterpretation of interest vs. recruiting letters vs. verbal offers vs. written/committable offers. The kids will hear the best case scenario and HS coaches also like to say that their players are involved with the highest levels schools possible. Add in vague wording of questions from the websites and you end up with a big "offer list". And it's in the websites interest to publicize any potential offers because it opens up more fan interest/hits at every teams website, including traffic from other schools fans checking for their competitions stories on the recruit. Plus the colleges can't comment on the players to make any corrections

That pretty much nails most of it.

George McDonald ‏@CoachGMcDonald 32m
@SirikiDiabate18 @EricWhiteCuse Going to the city of brotherly love for round #3 of the great cheesesteak challenge!

Honestly GMAC and these coaches are killing themselves this week. GMAC alone has been in CT, FL, IL, PA. Shaf has been everywhere! CT, PA, FL, AL, GA, IL... Whatever he pulls in or doesn't, is not for lack of effort!

1. Coach Scott Shafer ‏@Coach_Shafer 10m
  2. Shoveling nothing pic.twitter.com/e3C9ZSPwQY

BfK5zW2CIAAaHFK.jpg:large

Syracuse.com is a joke and so are most of the poster there. I think a lot of "trolls" vist that site.

You know what's nice about all this recruiting? The staff is working their arses off. Will it be fruitful? Maybe. Are they working harder than the last staff? Who knows. But what's nice is the fact that the fans are clued in more via twitter so you can appreciate them even when things don't pan out.
The last set of coaches like a few before them approach recruiting with hat in hand begging syndrome . No confidence was displayed and the aura of being less than deserving was displayed. I always disliked the style and statements coming out of their mouths after the recruiting period ended.ZConfidence and determination are now a part of the program's internal attitude and that is critical for success.We stillmhaven't brought in a 5* player but that might be close in happening for the 2015 clas. We are overdue for a player of that ability joining the team.
You know what's nice about all this recruiting? The staff is working their arses off. Will it be fruitful? Maybe. Are they working harder than the last staff? Who knows. But what's nice is the fact that the fans are clued in more via twitter so you can appreciate them even when things don't pan out.
* I've been a fan of recruiting since the late 1960s. I was asked by the uncle of Art Thoms to pick him up at the airport and get him up to the university for practice. Of course I said "yes" and got to Hancock for his arrival. Art was bigger than your normal human so spotting him was not an issue.We chatted of course and he was very anxious to get to practice so we hustled to my car and I got him there ASAP.Surprisingly there was a group of players on the lawn in front of Manley with the coaches. More surprisingly they had Art's practice uniform there as well. He got out of the car and the players formed a tight circle around him as he stripped and got into his pads. There were a few expected hoots and whistles of course but he was sealed up very well. I did notice a highly recruited new lineman from NYC who was written up as being a big catch. He was standing away from the circle of players and I couldn't help notice his legs were like pipe cleaners compared to even mine back then. I my mind, I said "noway is this guy going to be effective on the field. i was totally correct on that player a was always curious about how he became such a high level recruit. His name as I recall was Dave Johnson.That kind of inspired me to be more conscious of the process and follow the the prospects and their schools more closely. Art Thoms' uncle was a city councilman Jerry Gross. I always remember Jerry because he was the push that started my career in banking. He arranged an appointment with the then president of Marine Midland in Syracuse which resulted in my first job in banking as a trainee in the bank. It was pretty much at the bottom of the ladder as a teller trainee but by the time I retired it evolved to Vice president in operations and a great set of benefits that still are in effect. Thank you Jerry Gross.

The last set of coaches like a few before them approach recruiting with hat in hand begging syndrome . No confidence was displayed and the aura of being less than deserving was displayed.

How do you know this?

Are there any kids that we are actively recruiting that are going to announce soon? If so who and when?

Before February 5 that is

Are there any kids that we are actively recruiting that are going to announce soon? If so who and when?

Before February 5 that is
You might see a few commits come out of the weekend with the FL DBs and the GA DTs but Ward and Ish will be signing day guys.

You might see a few commits come out of the weekend with the FL DBs and the GA DTs but Ward and Ish will be signing day guys.

Washington is saying he will announce on signing day, but Cordy will probably commit this weekend, and it seems like they wanted to announce together sooooo... Hopefully both of them this weekend but at least Cordy, agree about Harvey, maybe Thomas as well. Samuels is coming by himself and wants to talk to his parents, he should commit but probably early next week. Enoicy, if he is visiting, not sure.

I'm so impressed with the pedigrees of our new pledges. I apologize, but I simply can't help but wonder...if our school was called Alabama, what would our recruiting class rank?

I'm so impressed with the pedigrees of our new pledges. I apologize, but I simply can't help but wonder...if our school was called Alabama, what would our recruiting class rank?

Better, but still not as high. Skipping past Coach P, the Robinson era was marked by hoping to get some diamonds in the rough and pulling kids that mostly has offers from MAC schools. Marrone's tenure saw us go toe to toe with more regional rivals for recruits (e.g., UCONN, PITT, Rutgers, Maryland, etc) with some, but not a lot of success. This year, the staff pulled mostly kids with BCS offers, and a few who had a spattering of offers from the "premier" programs.

Until SU starts winning a few more battles against PSU, ND, the Florida Big 3, SEC teams, etc., i think it will be difficult to break the 40 for rankings. Trending up, and the IPF should help.

Playing in the ACC gives us better credibility with these recruits, a lot of the youngsters want to play for a school, where they can beat the local school. But we need to win, then the better players will come.

I still can't believe we have accepted 7 defensive backs in this recruiting class. I'm not complaining either, I think it's just intriguing.

Blown coverage's all year long, the Boston College game where they let the QB who isn't a great runner, go for almost 50 yards, we need speed, and people who can tackle. It seems after Sharmarko left everyone else regressed.

I still can't believe we have accepted 7 defensive backs in this recruiting class. I'm not complaining either, I think it's just intriguing.

Got to remember, if Lamar Dawson is 100% healthy, we probably take 6. I'm thinking he ends up grayshirting to the 2015 class.

A couple of things I really like about this class:

1) The vast majority of these recruits were offered in the February-August timeframe, undeniably A listers as far as the staff was concerned. If you believe in their ability to assess talent, then you have to be excited that they are landing 85% of this class based on what they considered to be A listers. The one exception was DT where we definitely went with our second or third options.

2) We closed well. There were guys we were chasing who were flip candidates that we didn't land, but outside of really Nile Sykes and maybe Zeek Rodney, we closed really well on all uncommitted prospects that we targeted. I fully expect us to land Ward and Ishmael to close this thing out, and those are 2 more kids that we closed on.

3) The only decommits we suffered were 2 kids that had an incredible amount of pressure on them to flip to the schools that offered. Beau B was a legacy to Wisconsin and Cabinda was from a heavy PSU following area in NJ and one of his HS coaches was an alum. Both grew up fans of those schools. Those things happen, but we didn't have any random decommits to peer schools and for the most part fended off major programs that came snooping or flat out offered our commits.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom