Redshirt prognosticating | Syracusefan.com

Redshirt prognosticating

For sure Braswell, IMO. He has some talent but a long ways away. He’s like BJ skinny.

It sounds like Washington is physically ready to play, and won't need time to recuperate.

So while I understand the redshirt sentiment, as well as the thought process that redshirting would be good since he probably won't play much -- I don't expect that to happen.

I'm also guessing that the staff believes that they can recruit over him, so they probably aren't all that concerned about preserving a year of eligibility for long term. Just a hunch.

My guess is nobody redshirts.

I used to think that a redshirt was a great way to get the most out of a player, because after all anybody will be better in year 5 than they are in year 1 so why not make that trade?

I have come to learn that the reality is more complex. First of all, how many kids who want to stay in college 5 years are worth giving an extra scholarship to? The best players all want to go pro and make money. Nothing against Washington or Braswell personally, but the odds say they are equally likely to transfer out to someplace they can crack the rotation as they are to stay and make it here.

Second, redshirt years are not a silver bullet that help everybody. Chukwu's development, for example, seemed to slow by having to go a year without playing games. Onuwaku, on the other hand, was helped immensely by it. Why does it help some people and not others? I have no idea, but I bet our coaching staff has some educated guesses.

So do we have somebody who is so good they are worth giving an extra scholarship to, who also wants to stay in school for five years, who also is the type who will be helped by a redshirt? I will usually bet against that. There is a reason that basketball as a sport has a very small number of non injury related red shirts.

I will say this though, if Braswell is redshirted that's a good sign that the staff thinks he's going to mature into a really good player.

Chukwu's development, for example, seemed to slow by having to go a year without playing games.
I agree with most of what you say here, but I just don't think we really have any idea of how good he was before redshirting to compare with.

good points all - guess my take is that neither of those two guys will see any meaningful time this year (again, barring unforseen injuries/roster upheaval) so seems like it might be in their best interest

I used to think that a redshirt was a great way to get the most out of a player, because after all anybody will be better in year 5 than they are in year 1 so why not make that trade?

I have come to learn that the reality is more complex. First of all, how many kids who want to stay in college 5 years are worth giving an extra scholarship to? The best players all want to go pro and make money. Nothing against Washington or Braswell personally, but the odds say they are equally likely to transfer out to someplace they can crack the rotation as they are to stay and make it here.

Second, redshirt years are not a silver bullet that help everybody. Chukwu's development, for example, seemed to slow by having to go a year without playing games. Onuwaku, on the other hand, was helped immensely by it. Why does it help some people and not others? I have no idea, but I bet our coaching staff has some educated guesses.

So do we have somebody who is so good they are worth giving an extra scholarship to, who also wants to stay in school for five years, who also is the type who will be helped by a redshirt? I will usually bet against that. There is a reason that basketball as a sport has a very small number of non injury related red shirts.

I will say this though, if Braswell is redshirted that's a good sign that the staff thinks he's going to mature into a really good player.
I also will take it as a good sign if Braswell redshirts.

JB said he doesn’t plan to RS anybody this year.

IF Howard Washington isn’t 100%, he’s a candidate.

But with Frank nursing an injury now, we kinda need as many guards as we can get, so the odds of HoWash RS’ing just went way down.

Braswell is probably like BJ 2.0 - a guy who really, REALLY would be well served to take a RS, but probably won’t.

Not unless they want to.
That's right. Why many here still believe that JB redshits players when he repeatly has said, its up to the kids is a mystery. Its been stated here that while it may have been in his best interst, BJ refusec to be redshirt. Thing is when he was forced too with his transfer, he was a better player. Even if a players is physically unable to play, they have to request it.

Not unless they want to.
Redshirt isn't up to the kid. Its not an irrevocable pre-season choice.
If he doesn't play in enough games in the season, he is a redshirt.
Whether he stays an extra year, is a different story.

The problem with redshirting is you are also affecting your recruiting strategy. Braswell was brought in when Bazely went the G route! So Boeheim thought he needed to fill that position with Braswell.

If you redshirt Braswell then that possibly affects kids you are recruiting 2 -3 years out.

The problem with redshirting is you are also affecting your recruiting strategy. Braswell was brought in when Bazely went the G route! So Boeheim thought he needed to fill that position with Braswell.

If you redshirt Braswell then that possibly affects kids you are recruiting 2 -3 years out.
Both Braswell and Washington have been and will be recruited over

The answer is Buddy! He is good enough, would be a great influence, would of course be helped by it.

I would like to see Buddy take a shirt. It would mean FH is fine, it would mean JB would stay another year. And I think both Buddy and Cuse would be better for it.

I have come to learn that the reality is more complex. First of all, how many kids who want to stay in college 5 years are worth giving an extra scholarship to? The best players all want to go pro and make money.

The other complication comes from the grad transfer rule. It used to be if you redshirted a kid they almost never transfer because (having alread sat out a year) they would have to sit a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Now, if you redshirt a kid, if he graduates in four years he is a free agent who can transfer anywhere else. Thus, it’s reasonably to assume that when you redshirt a kid you will have spent four years developing a kid and some other school will get the benefit of your hard work for what is probably the kid’s most productive year as a college player.

The answer is Buddy! He is good enough, would be a great influence, would of course be helped by it.

I would like to see Buddy take a shirt. It would mean FH is fine, it would mean JB would stay another year. And I think both Buddy and Cuse would be better for it.

Not happening.

JB said he doesn’t plan to RS anybody this year.

IF Howard Washington isn’t 100%, he’s a candidate.

But with Frank nursing an injury now, we kinda need as many guards as we can get, so the odds of HoWash RS’ing just went way down.

Braswell is probably like BJ 2.0 - a guy who really, REALLY would be well served to take a RS, but probably won’t.

If JB doesn't know someone will redshirt, we don't know.

At the risk of being redundant...again. For several years we have been decrying our scholarship limitations. NCAA teams have 13 available scholarships. Syracuse currently is 2 below that threshold with 11 players on scholarship. We have been decrying that we are short players. Yet we get to 11, and now people want to redshirt them. JB has basically already stated or inferred or I heard somewhere (or dreamt it?) that the only redshirt possibility was Washington depending on his health. HW may not be as good or as talented as the other players but he is unique. He is a PG. Nobody has ever called him or thought of him as a "combo guard" or as a player that "can play point."
That said, Washington, Buddy and Braswell are obviously 9,10 &11. Each of them will need to bring something that the other 8 aren't in order to get opportunities to contribute. Braswell is the only one that doesn't have "a particular skill" that the other forwards don't. My guess is we'll find out early in the season by seeing who gets off the bench in the first few blowouts. My guess is no one redshirts because we are still short 2 players.

The other complication comes from the grad transfer rule. It used to be if you redshirted a kid they almost never transfer because (having alread sat out a year) they would have to sit a year AND lose a year of eligibility. Now, if you redshirt a kid, if he graduates in four years he is a free agent who can transfer anywhere else. Thus, it’s reasonably to assume that when you redshirt a kid you will have spent four years developing a kid and some other school will get the benefit of your hard work for what is probably the kid’s most productive year as a college player.

Really interesting point I hadn't thought about previously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom