Refs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Refs

We didn’t score a point in the second half.
That's a fact.

it's also a fact that in the second half, Syracuse was called for 8 penalties for 78 yards and Clemson was flagged twice for 10 yards.

I was surprised the OG catch was not looked at. His elbow hit then his hands hit and the ball moved but he didn't lose control. It should have been a catch and wasn't even looked at. Not that it mattered since he made a play after that.

That's a fact.

it's also a fact that in the second half, Syracuse was called for 8 penalties for 78 yards and Clemson was flagged twice for 10 yards.

Whether or not there are bad calls isn’t something I disagree with though (in that environment I’d be surprised if the refs weren’t one sided tbh) but if the point is that one call “changed the game” that’s either BS or speaks to a terminal case of the football team being softer than wet toilet paper.

Whether or not there are bad calls isn’t something I disagree with though (in that environment I’d be surprised if the refs weren’t one sided tbh) but if the point is that one call “changed the game” that’s either BS or speaks to a terminal case of the football team being softer than wet toilet paper.
Multiple one sided calls.

It was a pretty significant factor in the outcome of the game. It goes from 21-10, with Clemson punting on 4th and long, to 21-10, with Clemson 1st and 10 on the SU 30.

The problem here is that Clemson is always going to get those calls, especially in their house, for financial reasons. So how do we change that? Well, ignoring the Southern bias for a second, we have to get to NY6 bowls and win, ideally against SEC/B1G competition. We have to prove we can represent the conference on that level and hold our own.

Then we might get a more fair shake, but ultimately that does nothing for the kids getting screwed now who deserved better from those officials today.

That's college football, though. It's a lot like real life, there are a ton of advantages for the haves, and it's really tough as a have not to overcome them. In football there are financial disadvantages, recruiting disadvantages, and then the stuff like we saw today on the field.

And to those saying, "Just don't make it close," it was a road game against the #5 team in the country. You can't expect to blow them out.

I just went and looked at Syracuse's rank for penalties since joining the ACC and every single year they're near the bottom of the nation meanwhile refs constantly ignore blatant penalties on their opponents.

Here's the ranks since joining (2013)

'13 - 117th out of 125
'14 - 107th out of 128
'15 - 40th out of 128
'16 - 124th out of 128
'17 - 84th out of 130
'19 - 129th out of 130
'20 - 103rd out of 127
'21 - 71st out of 130
'22 - 131st out of 131

And it's not just the ranks. It's the fact that every week it seems like the calls that are happening are so one-sided.. i.e. Soft calls on Syracuse while their opponent gets away with something way more blatant. Been like this for 10 years now.

I'll take any conference over this one.

It was a pretty significant factor in the outcome of the game. It goes from 21-10, with Clemson punting on 4th and long, to 21-10, with Clemson 1st and 10 on the SU 30.

So you’re gonna go with Syracuse so emotionally fragile they can’t recover from a call still two scores up in the fourth quarter.

I’m mean, that’s a take.

So you’re gonna go with Syracuse so emotionally fragile they can’t recover from a call still two scores up in the fourth quarter.

I’m mean, that’s a take.
I'm not going to analyze the psyche of people I've never met and know nothing about.

Objectively, going from receiving a punt to defending a 1st and 10 at your own 30 - on the road, against a top-5 team...yeah, I think that's kind of a big deal.

Also, LOL at the " still two scores up in the fourth quarter" part...technically true, but a bit disingenuous, don't you think?

Yes, we made some mistakes. Yes, refs were kinda one sided in the second half. But a lack of DL depth killed us in 4th quarter. We need beef. We can have playmakers all over the field, but we need beef and depth on the DL to win a game like this. Even so, 2 months ago we never thought we would be where we are. Enjoy the ride folks. LGO!
Dline depth? Did we watch the same game? Oline got destroyed in the second half and couldn't stop committing penalties. I don't think this is on the defense at all. Offense did nothing for an entire half of football

Dline depth? Did we watch the same game? Oline got destroyed in the second half and couldn't stop committing penalties. I don't think this is on the defense at all. Offense did nothing for an entire half of football
Until last drive. Amazing when you need to,you can push the ball.

Up 21-10, it should have been the Tucker show and full clock each play to shorten the game

I just went and looked at Syracuse's rank for penalties since joining the ACC and every single year they're near the bottom of the nation meanwhile refs constantly ignore blatant penalties on their opponents.

Here's the ranks since joining (2013)

'13 - 117th out of 125
'14 - 107th out of 128
'15 - 40th out of 128
'16 - 124th out of 128
'17 - 84th out of 130
'19 - 129th out of 130
'20 - 103rd out of 127
'21 - 71st out of 130
'22 - 131st out of 131

And it's not just the ranks. It's the fact that every week it seems like the calls that are happening are so one-sided.. i.e. Soft calls on Syracuse while their opponent gets away with something way more blatant. Been like this for 10 years now.

I'll take any conference over this one.
I notice you left out 2018. Bad teams are undisciplined and commit penalties and all those years we were bad. Has more to do with coaching than anything else.

Yes, we made some mistakes. Yes, refs were kinda one sided in the second half. But a lack of DL depth killed us in 4th quarter. We need beef. We can have playmakers all over the field, but we need beef and depth on the DL to win a game like this. Even so, 2 months ago we never thought we would be where we are. Enjoy the ride folks. LGO!
Next year when these kids grow up watch out. Need to keep White what a coach. Guys brilliant.

Until last drive. Amazing when you need to,you can push the ball.

Up 21-10, it should have been the Tucker show and full clock each play to shorten the game
Tucker is severely injured, Most likely high ankle sprain…. He was out there as a decoy…. Clemson doubled him in the the 1st half and realized In the 2nd half that he was hobbled