Rehfus key | Syracusefan.com

Rehfus key

Gonzo

Walk On
The most critical element of the Cuse's win against UNC and potentially now for our national championship hopes involve the play of Stephen Rehfus. UNC's use of double long poles on our middies was largely effective in disrupting our offense as none of the attackmen other than Rehfus could beat their short sticks. Rehfus appears to have emerged as our best dodging threat among our attackmen,something that is crucial to ward of further doubling our middies.His play could be very influential on our post season success, and the outlook at attack the next few years has definitely brightened

Rehfuss is certainly key. Much better dodger than the Bomb. If he keeps playing like he has, it makes us that much harder to double-pole, and let Bomberry poach down low. Even Quint was raving about him during the game. He has a bright future, if he continues to produce as he has in the last few games (I know, small sample size). And he has 3 more years of eligibility. :)

One thing that I saw that was brought up on twitter and really peaked my interest was, if they are electing to double pole the midfield, obviously we should bring Rehfuss in at attack. I saw someone on twitter mention replacing Trimbo with Bomber on the first line mid. I think that would be our best lineup against the double pole.

One thing that I saw that was brought up on twitter and really peaked my interest was, if they are electing to double pole the midfield, obviously we should bring Rehfuss in at attack. I saw someone on twitter mention replacing Trimbo with Bomber on the first line mid. I think that would be our best lineup against the double pole.
That's an intriguing idea. But I think we'd see the same results. Bomber isn't a dodger so he can be looked off on the crease. You would still need to have another dodging threat vs both short sticks. And what's not to say that a team wouldn't shift a pole to Rehfuss and short stick Evans?

At this point, I'm hoping he coaches are preparing for all types of defensive matchups and zone situations. I'm assuming the oppositions in the ACC and NCAA tournament will double pole the first middie line. Whoever is the 3rd middie needs to create a double team off the alley dodge and get the defense rotating. Trimboli' biggest problem is hat he's not forcing the D to double his alley dodge

In theory the solution would be to start Rehfuss in place of Bomberry. Then the question becomes where does Bomberry fit in? the first line midfield seems perfect and I dont think we should change them at all. All three are talented dodgers, and very different. The second line midfield could use another scorer but who do you take out? Pat Carlin seems like the choice to bump to third line. The better choice may be to use Bomberry as a 4th attackman and a situational 1st line midfielder. It seems as if our first line middies get caught on D frequently. In those situations Bomberry could come in with the 1st line to give a guy rest. I also wonder if im being to reactionary. Should we do nothing? Side note I really like O'Sullivan on the third line he has the speed to be a good dodger.

Was Rehfuss a big time recruit? Section II kid correct?

Out of Shaker, was not a big time recruit. Went to Holy Cross but decided to transfer after being there for only a short amount of time.

Was Rehfuss a big time recruit? Section II kid correct?

Transfer from Holy Cross.

Stephen Rehfuss
-Four-year member of the varsity lacrosse team at Shaker High School for coach Shawn Hennessey
-2015 US Lacrosse All-American
-Served as team captain as a junior and senior
-Posted a school single season record for most assists (80) and most points (128) as a senior
-Set the school record for career assists with 164 and total career points with 319
-2015 Troy Record Player of the Year and was named to the Troy Record first team
-Selected first team Suburban Council and first team Times Union in 2015
-Team won Suburban Council Division championship in 2013, 2014 and 2015
-Member of the Albany Power Lacrosse Club for coach Mike Vorgang

Unfortunately, there generally aren't big time recruits from Section II unless you play for Niskayuna. Kid if obviously very talented and was a HS AA - probably should have been recruited more.

Out of Shaker, was not a big time recruit. Went to Holy Cross but decided to transfer after being there for only a short amount of time.
SYR.com article is great. After quitting the team in the fall Desko heard he was looking to transfer and reached out. What changed between his senior year and his freshman year fall semester is beyond me.

I have heard some fairly negative things regarding Holy Cross and how they treat kids after recruiting them.

SYR.com article is great. After quitting the team in the fall Desko heard he was looking to transfer and reached out. What changed between his senior year and his freshman year fall semester is beyond me.

LOL, I think he looked at the attack position on the roster and said we need help. In hindsight it worked out great.