Remembering 2000 in Auburn Hills | Syracusefan.com

Remembering 2000 in Auburn Hills

DNABB5

2019-20 Iggy Co-Winner Leading Frosh Scorer
Just doesn't hurt as much now, Just a thing that happened. Syracuse has extracted revenge vs Michigan St at Breslin Center in our champ year, at the Dome, and now back on the biggest stage, in their home state.

Our block S is cooler too.

Just doesn't hurt as much now, Just a thing that happened. Syracuse has extracted revenge vs Michigan St at Breslin Center in our champ year, at the Dome, and now back on the biggest stage, in their home state.

It still hurts as much for me. I will never recover from that game and the Butler game. I was too young to understand the magnitude of the Indiana game and how close we were.

I personally don't lose sleep over the 2000 Michigan State game. The superior team won going away. It was the inverse of our second round game against Oklahoma State in 2003. If either game was 5 minutes longer, each score would have been even a bigger blowout.

The SU sporting events that give me the most angst are 1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont and 2010 Butler, and then about a half dozen football games from the 90s.

I personally don't lose sleep over the 2000 Michigan State game. The superior team won going away. It was the inverse of our second round game against Oklahoma State in 2003. If either game was 5 minutes longer, each score would have been even a bigger blowout.

The SU sporting events that give me the most angst are 1995 Arkansas, 2005 Vermont and 2010 Butler, and then about a half dozen football games from the 90s.

LOL I hear you, but too many games that gave me angst come to mind, including those you listed (all the late 80s tourney outs through 91). The 2000 game was more annoying for me than anything else. Just an implosion/bombardment in the second half and nothing to stop it.

Butler hurts.

Should have gone to the Final Four - kills me.

And of course, the big enchilada - 1987. Still can't watch it.

Butler hurts.

Should have gone to the Final Four - kills me.

And of course, the big enchilada - 1987. Still can't watch it.

I've only seen the replay of Smart's shot one time since I saw it live. When it was on the CBS intro all those years, I'd close my eyes tight like it was a Roseanne Barr nude scene on tv.

I don't remember exhaling after drawing in my breath when Smart took the shot.

2010 Butler was soul crushing.

For me, embarrassment is worse than anything. The Richmond loss was the hardest thing for me to ever get over. And I happen to be a fan of a certain baseball team that lost to a certain rival after being up a certain 3-0.

I know how UVA fans feel and it’s the worst. I’m just so glad that wasn’t us (especially that close call a few years back), as I’d probably have to move to Antarctica.

The 2000 game left me with that ugly depressed feeling like usual when SU gets knocked out, but I get over it quickly and see what's happening in baseball. And I knew that SU that year wasn't as good as MSU or many other teams. They started out great, then went into a bad slide. So I wasn't that surprised.

That Keith Smart jumper hurt a lot, and lingered a little right up until Hak's block from that corner. 16 years. And that Vermont loss (my girlfriend and I saw it at Hooligan's in Liverpool) was frustrating because of all the turnovers (I think Hak had 9 or 10; wonder if he was ill that weekend). But one game that was really heartbreaking, because the frantic effort was like this year's team, was the 1994 loss to Missouri. Adrian Autry was a one many army, and scored like 29 or 31 points after half time. He then had a chance to give SU the victory with a shot that went in just as he fell to his knees, and the ref didn't allow it.

Elite Eight loss against Illinois in 1989. We were stacked. Sherman, Stevie, Billy and DC. Total chance to redeem ourselves for Indiana in 1987. Always wished those guys could win a title because it was an awesome era. That one really hurt.

Elite Eight loss against Illinois in 1989. We were stacked. Sherman, Stevie, Billy and DC. Total chance to redeem ourselves for Indiana in 1987. Always wished those guys could win a title because it was an awesome era. That one really hurt.

Forgot about that one - really disliked the overly physical "Climbing Illini"

Last edited:
The MSU loss was devastating because I KNEW that team was going to the final four after we boat raced uconn. We played with them and held a ten point lead at half and got it out to fourteen in the second half. And then we just...stopped playing.

Didnt we beat them in msg too? Ricky jax had a biggame. Dont remember the dome game.

One of the great games that it hurt to lose but not on the same level for me that Richmond, Vermont or especially Indiana.

We had a great team, but so did they.

We may never see stacked teams in college like that again.

This is the one. Easter Sunday 1989. Sherm's last game. Illinois killed us on the boards in the 2nd half. They couldn't make a free throw and SU couldn't clean up any of the misses. This one hurts the most because it was more than likely Boeheim's best team ever

The MSU loss was devastating because I KNEW that team was going to the final four after we boat raced uconn. We played with them and held a ten point lead at half and got it out to fourteen in the second half. And then we just...stopped playing.

You can't overstate the significance of that miserable loss to Georgetown in our opening BET game. The Big East sucked that year and we easily could have been a 2 seed by winning a couple games in the BET.

You can't overstate the significance of that miserable loss to Georgetown in our opening BET game. The Big East sucked that year and we easily could have been a 2 seed by winning a couple games in the BET.

At worst we end up in another region by beating Georgetown. Two one seeds didn’t even make it out of the first weekend.

2010 Butler was soul crushing.

Just a brutal night. The loss of AO in the Big East quarters against Georgetown gets us shipped out West...and then we lose that rockfight. Some might remember that SU hosted the East Regional that year. I recall heading up to the Dome after the Butler game in a complete daze to watch Cornell vs. Kentucky...and wishing I was anywhere else.

Leaving later that night, word filtered out that Kansas State and Xavier had gone into double overtime- we would have faced the winner. I said to my wife “Oh God, Butler is going to the Final Four”. No way would KSU have survived a short turnaround against our zone coming off that effort. Alas we will never know.

Again, just brutal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom