RIP Bobby Knight | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Bobby Knight

Go to 5:45 or so...

I would randomly quote that for a solid 5 years after it aired. Those commercials were so great, and I loved the Indiana one. Was always mad they didn’t do one for Cuse.

That is Letterman’s schtick.

He’s a troll. Kinda like the “SuperPurpleCat” of Twitter.
Thanks for the explanation but it is strange.

Thanks for the explanation but it is strange.
Lol. Probably an acquired taste. He posts blatantly incorrect stuff all the time, and enjoys the people who think he’s serious and freak out on him.

His character’s “backstory” is that he’s a 40 year old guy from a small town in Georgia who clings to his high school football glory days as an “elite downfield blocking WR”, still wears his letterman jacket, and now coaches youth sports where he encourages his players to never read, play dirty, and take “sensible injections”.

It’s like “The Onion” type of absurdity.

Nope. I had a client that was a player on his 1976 team. He told me that there was no money to go there but there was plenty of money once you were there.
I'm going on a guy who played for him at Army. Not saying you're wrong, but different experiences.

Great basketball mind and coach and a complete nutcase.

For me, I can respect his genius and talent and dedication to being the best at something, while also thinking he was someone I’d never want to be like or spend any time around. *shrug*

I remember him being one of the few at ESPN who thought very highly of the 2010 Syracuse team. Back around then, he was a solid announcer/color guy for college hoops,
He and JB respected one another. I remember an NCAA tournament at Syracuse I went to the year before they beat us in ‘87 and Indiana lost to someone like Cleveland St in a shocker. I was so happy they lost and karma hit me with our heart breaking loss to them the very next year. :(

I remember him being one of the few at ESPN who thought very highly of the 2010 Syracuse team. Back around then, he was a solid announcer/color guy for college hoops,
I don’t remember it as him being “one of the few”…I think we got respect basically all year after we kicked UNC’s butt in the Garden, and especially once we ran Villanova out of the Dome.

But I definitely remember Knight being our biggest champion that year. We played flat out great basketball and he recognized it and loved it. Gotta respect that.

I really miss those 09-14 times…we played such good ball back then. And the quality of play and level of interest in college hoops was still good at the time. I hope we see all of it again.

I don’t remember it as him being “one of the few”…I think we got respect basically all year after we kicked UNC’s butt in the Garden, and especially once we ran Villanova out of the Dome.

But I definitely remember Knight being our biggest champion that year. We played flat out great basketball and he recognized it and loved it. Gotta respect that.

I really miss those 09-14 times…we played such good ball back then. And the quality of play and level of interest in college hoops was still good at the time. I hope we see all of it again.
We will.

Yep he called it early about how good that team was, after we won the preseason NIT, basically said we might be the best team in the country

I have a memory of him calling the 2010 Villanova game and he was clearly already mentally compromised to a degree. He was talking about the Rautins family and I remember the quote being something along the lines of “You got the cousin, the brother, and the other guy.” Still one of my favorite quotes even if I am probably remembering it wrong.

One of the greatest basketball minds in my generation.

And his game face comment was a perfect answer to a goofy cliché.

Like everyone in life, a complicated person. He happened to remove subtext and show the world his two sides: the rascal and the genius

The rascal got a kick out of making people uncomfortable and the genius loved to show people the highest level of coaching.

He should have been a football coach. Fit his personality

If anyone hasn’t read the rabbit article by Frank Deford. Its an exercise in journalism

For some reason, entirely unrelated to Knight - Robert Goulet reminds me of Richard Cheese (or maybe it’s the other way around…)
Was not expecting a Richard Cheese reference when I clicked on this thread.

He was a violent psychopath who routinely assaulted and abused people who couldn’t fight back, and was glorified because he knew a lot about basketball. He avoided accountability over and over for what would have gotten most people arrested. He was a monster and it’s a shame he didn’t get the a$$ whipping(s) he deserved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom