RIP Drew Gissinger | Syracusefan.com

RIP Drew Gissinger

Orangejet

Suds Peddlar
Sad Orange news today is that former Orange and San Diego Chargers OT/C passed away today from cancer in CA. Drew played for the CUSE from '77 - 80 and was a 6th round draft pick of the Chargers in '81...playing in the NFL from '82 - '84. Gissinger was also an Academic All American and four-year Letterman at Syracuse University where he majored in Business. He was the recipient of the Joseph Alexander Award for his athletic and academic accomplishments at SU and also attended Valley Forge High School in Parma Heights, Ohio. I had the fortunate opportunity to bang heads with Drew in practice for three years and he was a tough gridder and a great teammate with a kind heart. RIP DG!

Sad Orange news today is that former Orange and San Diego Chargers OT/C passed away today from cancer in CA. Drew played for the CUSE from '77 - 80 and was a 6th round draft pick of the Chargers in '81...playing in the NFL from '82 - '84. Gissinger was also an Academic All American and four-year Letterman at Syracuse University where he majored in Business. He was the recipient of the Joseph Alexander Award for his athletic and academic accomplishments at SU and also attended Valley Forge High School in Parma Heights, Ohio. I had the fortunate opportunity to bang heads with Drew in practice for three years and he was a tough gridder and a great teammate with a kind heart. RIP DG!
RIP Drew. OL always seem like the smartest guys on the team...

Stalwart OLinenan who had the distinction of playing in the Nebraska game when our line dominated at the end allowing Gayden to punch it in.
Rest easy Drew.

Sad to hear this news.
He was a successful businessman (former head of Countrywide Home Loans) who passed away much too early.

Thanks for the heads-up, Jet.

RIP, Drew. Successful in both life and football. Can't ask for more than that.

‘77 to ‘80? Could it really have been that long ago? I had to read that twice. RIP.

When I was a sr at Syracuse, my Newhouse project was to do a commercial for M.S. support. Drew helped us pick out a video of Tim Moresco. Great kid. Way too early.

My sincere condolences to his family. That is way too young.

Stalwart OLinenan who had the distinction of playing in the Nebraska game when our line dominated at the end allowing Gayden to punch it in.
Rest easy Drew.

Gissinger played from 1977-1980. The Nebraska game was in 1984.

When i attended the first game at the Dome in 1980, I remember reading the game program and looking at the size of our offensive linemen. they averaged a then very impressive 255 pounds per man. But that was skewed by fact that our biggest guy was Drew Gissinger, who weighted 286, the largest lineman we'd ever had.

Last edited:
I knew Drew at SU and liked how he handled himself both on and off the field.

Really sorry to hear this news. RIP.

The staff recruited his son Parks. Some good posts by Orangejet in the thread.
Maybe Parks will join the rest of the MSU team and transfer out of East Lansing. We could use a man like him.