RIP Eric Montross | Syracusefan.com

RIP Eric Montross

So sad. RIP. Great player. I rode an elevator with him and Dean Smith at the Marriott Carrier Circle when UNC was in town for the NCAA's in 1991. I remember Montross was a very big kid and Dean Smith looked very old standing two feet from him. Funny thing is that I am older than Dean Smith now than he was then.

Although I was never a UNC fan, EM was one of the good ones.

Montross played for UNC under renowned coach Dean Smith, whose legacy includes bringing on the team’s first Black player. During the summer of 2020, when Black Lives Matter protests exploded across the country in response to the killing of George Floyd, Montross spoke out about the need to end police brutality against Black people and for white Americans to recognize their privilege.

“It wasn’t that I ever thought differently of someone whose skin color was different than me, but I maybe didn’t have my eyes open as wide as I should have,” he told Sports Illustrated at the time.

“So many of my friends are not white men. And so many of my teammates are not white men. Many of the people I call my best teammates, and I call my best friends don’t look like me,” he continued. “There are people who I deeply, deeply respect who don’t look like me. I think that we just have an opportunity now as a nation and drill down to your household, neighborhood, community, state, and nation.”

~HuffPo

Although I was never a UNC fan, EM was one of the good ones.

Montross played for UNC under renowned coach Dean Smith, whose legacy includes bringing on the team’s first Black player. During the summer of 2020, when Black Lives Matter protests exploded across the country in response to the killing of George Floyd, Montross spoke out about the need to end police brutality against Black people and for white Americans to recognize their privilege.

“It wasn’t that I ever thought differently of someone whose skin color was different than me, but I maybe didn’t have my eyes open as wide as I should have,” he told Sports Illustrated at the time.

“So many of my friends are not white men. And so many of my teammates are not white men. Many of the people I call my best teammates, and I call my best friends don’t look like me,” he continued. “There are people who I deeply, deeply respect who don’t look like me. I think that we just have an opportunity now as a nation and drill down to your household, neighborhood, community, state, and nation.”

~HuffPo
Thanks for sharing that. Great stuff. Also very interesting that the guy with the perpetual cop haircut to come out that way. I absolutely judged that book by its cover and I was way off. Good on him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom