RIP John Thompson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP John Thompson

big loss for college basketball community, I met him twice. Once a friend of mine signed his kids up for the Hoyas Kids club and the seats were amazing, my 6 year old daughter came with us and she got a free Georgetown kids club shirt to go to this game, I had on an Syracuse shirt on you could barely see. Seats were court side right behind Big John and he noticed An adult and three kids in Georgetown shirt and Picked up on mySyracuse shirt. He said to me laughing “what the hell that is about?” I said only one is mine but she is obviously rebelling early” he laughed and said “ must be the mother is the one with the common sense” and we got a picture with him shook his hand and moved on with the day.

The dome was never more electric than when that guy walked into the building. Springsteen was a distant second.

My first Town/Cuse game was 1995. AI's first game at the Dome. I had no idea what to expect. They were larger than life and I missed 90% of the really good games btw the teams. UConn became the rival later on but it never burnt as bright as the Georgetown rivalry.

There's revisionist history here.
And no mention that he pioneered the recruiting of thugs.
But he was a good game coach and an excellent foil.
oh, so its all good now...never heard a good word about him on this board from anyone..now its a tragedy. funny how that works
Seriously, guys? This is what you come up with on the day of the man’s death?
Did u know him personally? Because JB sure did and they were good friends.
Grow the cfk up already. You didn’t have to like him, but no question he deserved respect for his accomplishments. Pathetic. SMDH

1598880192742.png

This will suck for Boeheim (and JTs family of course) if there is no funeral because of Covid -

As a kid I had the three technical game recorded on VHS, and I would watch it over and over again to the point that I literally had every play choreographed in my head. That was the game that made me an SU basketball fan. Sports are very bland without "villains", and he was ours. RIP.

As a kid I had the three technical game recorded on VHS, and I would watch it over and over again to the point that I literally had every play choreographed in my head. That was the game that made me an SU basketball fan. Sports are very bland without "villains", and he was ours. RIP.

The best game I've ever been to -- hands down -- and I've been season ticket holder for years, gone to Final Four games, attended the Elite 8 game when we beat UNC en route to the NC game in '87, etc.

...was the Syracuse come from behind, OT victory over Georgetown in the final regular season game of the 1989 season. Sherman Douglas's last game in the Dome.

We were down huge, and they were taking us apart. Then David Johnson had a tip slam over Mutombo off of a missed Billy Owens drive, and the crowd began to buzz. As we fought our way back from being down double digits, the crowd volume just got louder and louder and louder.

I've never heard the Dome so electric. It was amazing! And it was even more special because it came against Gtown. Like you, Eric, I probably watched that game 100 times on VHS tape back in the day.

Definitely a love hate relationship, but in the end I had great respect for a guy who I believe was a great coach that cared about his players. RIP John Thompson. The Manley is officially closed comment spurred a great hoops rivalry.

The best game I've ever been to -- hands down -- and I've gone to Final Four games, attended the Elite 8 game when we beat UNC en route to the NC game in '87, etc.

...was the Syracuse come from behind, OT victory over Georgetown in the final regular season game of the 1989 season. Sherman Douglas's last game in the Dome.

We were down huge, and they were taking us apart. Then David Johnson had a tip slam over Mutombo off of a missed Billy Owens drive, and the crowd began to buzz. As we fought our way back from being down double digits, the crowd volume just got louder and louder and louder.

I've never heard the Dome so electric. It was amazing! And it was even more special because it came against Gtown.

Agreed 144%!!!

I was at that game too, and the epic comeback, with highlight reel play after play, capped with Sherm leaking out for the final hoop in OT for a REVERSE SLAM!!! :cool:

(had NO idea he could do that, don’t recall ever seeing him dunk before)

It was absolutely electric and amazing!
Massive rush of sports euphoria, over our arch RIVALS.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom