RIP Pearl | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Pearl

A truly sad day. Pearl was incredible, both on the court and off. I was in HS when he started at SU and I loved watching him take on all comers. The Big East was a meat grinder back then filled with epic games that were more special because of the personalities involved. Pearl was one of the best of a great group. Thanks Pearl for all of the great memories. God bless you. You will be truly missed.

image-2890282629.jpg

image-188166446.jpg

image-4024075549.jpg

image-42896331.jpg

image-305296760.jpg

image-1565220821.jpg

image-2871070460.jpg

Guys, see CTO's post on how to contribute to the fam. Pearl was one of ours and no matter the national accolades it falls upon us, the Syracuse family to take care of his.

UConn fan here. I signed up just to send my condolences. Pearl, Ewing and Mullin were the larger than life architects of the early Big East and put the conference and every team in it on the map. Pearl was the great showman and provided that flash that I'm not sure has been duplicated since. He was way too young to go and I'm sorry to see it. Enjoy the memories of his playing days.

That article is really amazing. It was published Friday morning, March 9, 1984, and the theme was how Pearl was not a flashy player anymore but rather a mild-mannered freshman who was there to lead the team as a pass-first point guard. Basically, the legend of Pearl as a playground hero was over. Of course, that very night Pearl blew away the crowd at MSG by scoring 30 points against Villanova in the semifinals of the Big East tournament and his legend was only beginning to take off.

This is the game vs Georgetown that Boeheim was referring to when he drew up a play for a double screen for someone else. Pearl said "just give me the ball". 1/28/85

image-2802886071.jpg

image-2804306600.jpg

Last edited:
RIP Pearl :(

I was just a little too young to remember Pearl's games at SU vividly, but I absolutely remember playing basketball in my driveway and pretending to be him.

This is the game vs Georgetown that Boeheim was referring to when he drew up a play for a double screen for someone else. Pearl said "just give me the ball". 1/29/85

View attachment 61426
View attachment 61427

A fantasy of mine: Pearl stays for year #4 and is our point guards. Indian, (not sure how that would have worked out with Sherman, but this is a fantasy). Keith Smart hits the jumper with 5 seconds left, we immediately inbounds the ball to Pearl and...

...Walter Berry is watching on TV. ;)

Last edited:
shandeezy7 said:
It's amazing to see the reach and impact of Pearl's death right now. I always knew he was a superstar, but had no idea how big his stardom really was. This is the front page of Yahoo right now:

Over the years Pearl has been brought up on our boards. Those of us who saw him play always had a hard time describing his impact and ability to those who hadn't seen him play during that era. I think the last 2 days has really shown what we meant.

The only thing I can add, is in the days before the internet, is how excited i was when I received my copy of Eastern Basketball and first learned of the Pearl's commitment to the Cuse.

What a glorious day that was. He will never be forgotten for as long as a roundball bounces in Syracuse.
still have every copy in my collection...

Over the years Pearl has been brought up on our boards. Those of us who saw him play always had a hard time describing his impact and ability to those who hadn't seen him play during that era. I think the last 2 days has really shown what we meant.
I was just talking to someone about that. Pearl was a freshman the year I was born so I never got to see him play but my parents and grandfather were big SU fans and I went to SU so I know all about Pearl. I knew he was a Syracuse legend, but the past two days made me realize how much of a basketball legend he was. There can't be another player that was so influential and famous based on their high school and college ball.

It's not even that he was the best SU player ever. He wasn't. But he played the game at a different level than anyone else. He played a different game than anyone else. It was a joy to watch. Given all of the tributes over the past 24 hours, it turns out we did not see him through orange colored glasses. Everyone saw what we saw. As Kaiser posted in his Hans Solo post ... It was true - all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom