RIP Richie Moran | Syracusefan.com

RIP Richie Moran

I remember our high school team going to Cornell games in 1977-1978. Great teams, great fun. RIP Coach Moran.

Coach Moran was an absolute legend of the game. It is sad to see the great coaches of the 80’s pass on in recent years and it reminds me how lucky we are to still have Coach Simmons attending SU home games.
My first recollection of Coach Moran was his booming Long Island accent at the Hobart lacrosse camp in the late 80s. That was one of the major camps when camp was the chance to get some summer lax in. He was always giving little tips and had a quick wit to drop a joke or funny comment that had everyone laughing. A few years later he recruited me to play at Cornell and always added a handwritten note at the end of each letter along with a stick of big red chewing gum. Those letters smelled like big red for years. Unfortunately, I pulled one out tonight and it has lost it scent after 30 years.
The game needs more characters like Richie Moran. It also needs more care takers to ensure that players are having fun and getting the most out the game and then passing that same feeling on to the next generation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom