RIP Rod Wood | Syracusefan.com

RIP Rod Wood

I feel like I'm unusual amongst my generation in that I really enjoy local news broadcasts. You can probably count on one hand the number of faces that are more familiar to Central New Yorkers than him. RIP to a news legend.

Haven't watched local news in ages, but that still photo captures a scene that was on the TV in our house before dinner 5 nights a week, 50-ish weeks a year, for a long time when I was a kid. Those people were fixtures.

Also sounds like Rod Wood (whose adopted name was hilarious, obv) was a really decent guy, and I learned yesterday that he grew up a couple blocks from where I later did and also was a Nottingham grad.

Haven't watched local news in ages, but that still photo captures a scene that was on the TV in our house before dinner 5 nights a week, 50-ish weeks a year, for a long time when I was a kid. Those people were fixtures.

Also sounds like Rod Wood (whose adopted name was hilarious, obv) was a really decent guy, and I learned yesterday that he grew up a couple blocks from where I later did and also was a Nottingham grad.

The photo is instantly recognizable. Just burned into my memory and will be for the rest of my life.

He and Ron Curtis are absolute legends in CNY.

I know people who worked with Rod and they all loved him.

It isn't often when an on air legend is just as good off the air. Rod was apparently one of those people.

He will be missed. Condolences to his friends and family.

Sounds like a fine person.

I confess I found him a rather dull broadcaster. I prefer Mulcahy and Benny, who seem to wear their heart on their sleeves and to think along with the viewer, and have tended to watch the NBC affiliate in the evening because I preferred their national news show and recently the CBS affiliate at night because I am a Colbert loyalist. But you have to have respect for someone who delivered the news to this community since 1963 and was loyal enough to stay here and sink his roots into it.

And it was the tendency of his generation to avoid opinions and emotions to maintain professionalism and that can come off as rather dull. But it's admirable in the modern culture of strident advocacy and editing the news to fit a point of view. It builds that rate quality these days of trust.

The two things I'll remember most about Rod are the video above regarding the infamous bee incident. Also, the time he walked in on me in a Kaufmann's dressing room. The lock was broken and I didn't even get a courtesy knock. Not cool, Rod. Rest in Peace.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom