Road Trips '18 | Syracusefan.com

Road Trips '18

UnknownOrange

2023 Cali Award Winner Points Scored
All,

I have been trying to do an away game each year for football (Metlife in '16, LSU in '17) and I wanted to open the discussion to see which would be best for 2018. Part of me wants Clemson due to our upset win this year, would be a fun atmosphere.

1 - Western Michigan - This is probably my most unlikely. The season opener and the Syracuse ties in Kalamazoo are intriguing, but this is most likely a TV game for me.

2 - Boston College - Obviously depends on the full schedule release but I've wanted to go to Boston for some time and this is a good excuse to go over there.

3 - Wake Forest - Not as much intrigue to me, probably last in my mind of ACC trips.

4 - Pittsburgh - I did enjoy the city the last time I was there (Royal Rumble and no I'm not kidding and then again for a Pirates game [awesome stadium])

5 - Clemson - I hear it's a very remote place but obviously it's nice to go there winning our last match-up. Plus nice weather!

6 - Probably going to be the winner - ND in Yankee Stadium - This game stands out mostly because it's supposed to be an All-'Cuse weekend. The basketball team is playing in MSG on Friday night, then football at Yankee stadium - going to be tough to beat. South Bend would have been cool though.

What do you guys think? Where are you planning to go? Any suggestions?

It'd be really cool if Cuse did a basketball/football ticket package for that weekend in NYC.

This will be CUSU and I's 4th year with at least one road trip. We've already done Clemson, so this year will most likely be Notre Dame and maybe a last minute decision to drive to Boston for BC.

Usually do one flight and one driveable. Was settled on @ Notre Dame and @ Pitt but with the Notre Dame game now driveable I'm toying with finally going to Clemson too.

Been to Wake. Better than expected. We had an excellent Fine Mess Tailgate there and the campus is very nice. Been to BC several times. Might be the worst from a football perspective. No tailgating opportunities, awful stadium and the fact that it will probably be Thanksgiving weekend just makes it worse. Go to Boston for a long weekend in the summer instead. No real desire to go to Kalamazoo.

Pittsburgh might be the most doable one for us. Would love to see a game in Clemson and it would be my top choice this season.

I'd suggest Clemson. True big time college football atmosphere. No other game offers that. Plus great town and folks will be nice to you (assume that will still be the case after this year).

I'm seriously considering going to WMU because it's cheap and the weather shouldn't be terrible. Plus, by that point in the year, I'll be absolutely dying to see some live football.

All,

I have been trying to do an away game each year for football (Metlife in '16, LSU in '17) and I wanted to open the discussion to see which would be best for 2018. Part of me wants Clemson due to our upset win this year, would be a fun atmosphere.

1 - Western Michigan - This is probably my most unlikely. The season opener and the Syracuse ties in Kalamazoo are intriguing, but this is most likely a TV game for me.

2 - Boston College - Obviously depends on the full schedule release but I've wanted to go to Boston for some time and this is a good excuse to go over there.

3 - Wake Forest - Not as much intrigue to me, probably last in my mind of ACC trips.

4 - Pittsburgh - I did enjoy the city the last time I was there (Royal Rumble and no I'm not kidding and then again for a Pirates game [awesome stadium])

5 - Clemson - I hear it's a very remote place but obviously it's nice to go there winning our last match-up. Plus nice weather!

6 - Probably going to be the winner - ND in Yankee Stadium - This game stands out mostly because it's supposed to be an All-'Cuse weekend. The basketball team is playing in MSG on Friday night, then football at Yankee stadium - going to be tough to beat. South Bend would have been cool though.

What do you guys think? Where are you planning to go? Any suggestions?

The ND game moved to yankee stadium is awesome for us. Depending on your tolerance for the concrete jungle and an overall experience and bang for your buck; Boston and Pittsburgh are better cities. Pittsburgh is a sleeper. Stay downtown and walk everywhere, bars, stadiums, etc. Also, the ND game will be played in a baseball stadium, but prob ably a great atmosphere. Check out Pitt sometime as a sports town and overall great town. Its phenomenal. Lastly, PNC park for a baseball game will become your fav park.

hopefully they can make a basketball football weekend out the nyc trip

The ND game moved to yankee stadium is awesome for us. Depending on your tolerance for the concrete jungle and an overall experience and bang for your buck; Boston and Pittsburgh are better cities. Pittsburgh is a sleeper. Stay downtown and walk everywhere, bars, stadiums, etc. Also, the ND game will be played in a baseball stadium, but prob ably a great atmosphere. Check out Pitt sometime as a sports town and overall great town. Its phenomenal. Lastly, PNC park for a baseball game will become your fav park.

Haha didn’t read much on my pitt bullet point did ya?

The only 1 you can go wrong with is directional midwestern nobody.

The rest are all fun times.

I’d probably never skip the opportunity to ‘Subway Tailgate’ though.

That doesn’t come around every other year or so.

Going to set up a roadie for WMU: 3 day weekend and should be pretty easy to throw together. I expect to organize a group of 50-75

Clemson is a VG trip...however, I recommend flying into ATL or CLT and driving over. Motels are hard to find and expensive. If you want to stay closer...book tomorrow ASAP after the schedule is released. If date falls right a high possibility.

Wake: Great spot to tailgate...easy parking. Tix are easy to get. If date falls right...a very high possibility.

BC: Never been...just heard tailgating is a PITA. Group rate tix are surprisingly cheap. Probably pass unless early in season and I can drive to it from NY.

Pitt: Great trip but if game is in late November I'll pass.

ND/NYC: probably not...lost my free flop with my son as he just moved.

Wake is my likely target. Easy tailgate/stadium situation. Would likely stay in Charlotte.

Clemson is possible, just know that it’s quite a hike to/from the stadium.
Their in-game fan actions 4 years ago is also a minus.

The schedule may dictate which game gets my attendance.

Wake is my likely target. Easy tailgate/stadium situation. Would likely stay in Charlotte.

Clemson is possible, just know that it’s quite a hike to/from the stadium.
Their in-game fan actions 4 years ago is also a minus.

The schedule may dictate which game gets my attendance.

Pretty much agree...Wake is such an easy trip. Motels are easy...I've had good luck flying into RDU and staying near the airport and driving over and back on game day. I have a go to LaQuinta in a corporate area that has great weekend rates under $65 a night.

Greensboro Triad is a smaller airport with fewer nonstops and usually higher prices. Flying into CLT is another great option. I know you will drive Jurrie...just giving info for others.

Not necessarily. You can parlay that game with a weekend in Chitown, it's only two hours away. I think the opportunity to watch SU in warm weather in a small 30k stadium is very enticing.
The Cubs are out of town then but the White Sox host the Red Sox every day from Thursday 8/30 to Monday 9/3. Chicago is a great place to visit, no question.

With little traffic, I could drive to Yankee Stadium in 15 minutes from where I currently sit. So while I'm glad the Notre Dame game is easily accessible, I'm super bummed. I wanted to go to South Bend.

Unsure if I'll be road tripping this year. None of the options are all that attractive.

With little traffic, I could drive to Yankee Stadium in 15 minutes from where I currently sit. So while I'm glad the Notre Dame game is easily accessible, I'm super bummed. I wanted to go to South Bend.

Unsure if I'll be road tripping this year. None of the options are all that attractive.
Wait a few hours and take a fresh look. One might make sense. Pitt or BC might work for you

Remote? You haven't seen a lot of the USA have you?

Would we ever get a BC game that's not late season?

Heading to Western Michigan and then a day trip to Yankee Stadium to see the boys knock off Notre Dame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom