rob konrad had quite a scare | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

rob konrad had quite a scare

"Rosie Ruiz is my co-pilot."

Gonna go out on a limb and say this didn't happen. Once, when I was 18 and in the best shape of my life, I swam two miles at the pool, 144 laps. Of course, I got to push off the edge each lap.

There is officially no bleeping way he did this. Especially since football muscles and swimming muscles are hardly compatible.

The human body is capable of amazing things when the mind doesn't get in the way.

I had a friend working on his car tip off the jack stand and onto his leg. Wheel was off so brake rotor into his shin trapping him. His best friend lifted the car up so he could pull his leg out. Not sure one could simply do that for fun but when you're in full adrenaline mode for the sake of someone else you can do much more than you think.

I'm just thinking...in the water for 16 hours, that's a lot of treading too if you don't have a life jacket on. Nuts.

I guess that it is possible that he is confused about the time he fell in and it was later.

I just looked up water temps off of the coast of Florida. It says water temps are normally warmest off of Palm Beach in the winter months. Interesting.

I just looked up water temps off of the coast of Florida. It says water temps are normally warmest off of Palm Beach in the winter months. Interesting.

There is a Newsweek article that said the water temp was 70.

I was just there for New Years and I was shocked at how warm the water was in December.

Rocco said:
Still cannot believe this. He is a freak.

68-70 degree water for 16 hours
8-10 foot waves
salt water swelling you up
extreme body exhaustion
taking on mouthfuls of saltwater...

The odds of survival were microscopic and he made it.

He should be our next HC.

That is hardnosed.

Clearly, you're joking right? Because you couldn't do it, no one can? What was your motivation? Were you swimming for your life? For the record, there are a lot of people that have swam farther. For example, 64 year old Diana Nyad swam the Florida Strait (103 miles from Cuba to Florida) in 2013. Granted, she trained a long time for it, but Konrad's swim was much shorter.
... and over 1200 people have swum the English Channel solo...that is 21 miles.

When I was 10 I swam a lake in the Adirondacks. It was over 2 miles long. I did not do a racing crawl, I did the back stroke, breast stroke, side stroke. I believe it can be done especially when you have the motivation to live

There is a Newsweek article that said the water temp was 70.

Which will cause hypothermia after a prolonged period. The whole story is truly baffling. So amazing.

Being circled by a shark would've probably done it for me.

Which will cause hypothermia after a prolonged period. The whole story is truly baffling. So amazing.

No shiit. I had a buddy who had to eject (Navy) over the Indian Ocean. Was surrounded by sharks until he got picked up. Yikes.

Last edited:

Not if you're picturing your wife and/or kids at home. I'm not yet sure what feats I could acheive to get to my 2 year old son if need be but I assure you it's more than I can even imagine.

Truthfully I pictured RK riding dolphins to shore like Marty in Madagascar.

Not if you're picturing your wife and/or kids at home. I'm not yet sure what feats I could acheive to get to my 2 year old son if need be but I assure you it's more than I can even imagine.

No doubt. Thinking about that situation gives me the chills and I will likely have a nightmare from it.

Man's will to live is incredible when put to the test.

Really shows how difficult it is to find someone who has fallen overboard even if able to stay alive:

“In the next 16 hours, I realy had two opportunities for rescue,’’ he said. “At one point, as I swam into the night, there was a fishing boat, a recreational fishing boat, about 50 yards away. I tried to flag down the boat. It didn’t work out.

“A little bit later on, I saw the Coast Guard (helicopter). They were out, searching the water. At that point in time, came right over the top of me. They had lights on me, but kept going. That was a difficult time.

I'm skeptical of the entire story. It may be true, I know some of you saw the press conference. Of COURSE, I 'm not applying my limited swimming experience as proof, but rather trying to provide context.

We had a couple of football players on our HS swim team, and it took them at least a month on average to retrain their muscles to swimming. Maybe he really did swim 9 miles in less than optimal conditions. Hell of a story, if true. Until it's undeniably true, I'll remain skeptical.

that-guy.jpg

Was that the game we lost 38-14? That was less about Konrad and more about the defense getting drilled. Barnett and Holt killed us. I think that's the game we rushed Allen back from injury and he got ate up.

We also went 6-1 after that, only losing at WVU, so I'm not sure the season was derailed.
That was the game that turned the tide against Pasqualoni. Please let's not go there again!

Rob Konrad is so bad a$$.
It has been said of Rob Konrad that when he does push ups, he is actually bench pressing the planet.

Rob Konrad has a grizzly bear carpet in his living room. The grizzly bear isn't dead, it's just afraid to move.

Rob Konrad was once stabbed by a sword. The sword bled.

Rob Konrad doesn't flush the toilet. Instead he just scares the s--t out of it.

Rob Konrad is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Death was following Rob Konrad while he swam, but death had a near Rob Konrad experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom