Roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Roberson

CuseFaninVT said:
Wow. That's saying something because I saw the proverbial garbage man getting his tonight. He took the ball strong to the hoop like once that I saw and converted. If we want to be in the equation at the end of the year, he needs to get better. And mind you, I've been high on this kid since last year. I think he has something. But a nose for rebounds doesn't work when you are playing one of the top players in the game. You have to box out as well. He didn't and Okafor scored at least two baskets right over Tyler's shoulder. At least.

This isn't Sega NCAA 14...Okafor is the best player in the country

He's scored two baskets over lots of people in a single game.

And he'll be doing the same thing next year in the NBA

Roberson has his flaws but he was playing against two top-15 picks in this years draft on that front line. And we don't have drive/dish guards

Some perspective please

CusefanATL said:
but he also cost us 4 very easy early points.

And the rest of the team cost us about 30. Of all the players tonight, he's the one that shouldn't be ragged on. Only guy that had a good game.

This isn't Sega NCAA 14...Okafor is the best player in the country

He's scored two baskets over lots of people in a single game.

And he'll be doing the same thing next year in the NBA

Roberson has his flaws but he was playing against two top-15 picks in this years draft on that front line. And we don't have drive/dish guards

Some perspective please

Just offering some ways for him to improve. I love our team but too often we have guys who rebound by jumping high. Tyler is great because he gets great position, but he didn't do nearly enough against Okafor to box him out. I understand Okafor will be a pro next year. I also understand that if we want to beat teams like Duke, we have to play better than them and Tyler not boxing out and allowing at least two easy tip ins for Okafor isn't doing anything close to that. Raise your level of play to that of your opponent.

And the rest of the team cost us about 30. Of all the players tonight, he's the one that shouldn't be ragged on. Only guy that had a good game.

I'd argue the other guys let those go because that was our defense for tonight. And it didn't work either.

I think youre both right. He was one of our best players , yes. Did he box out and compete as hard as duk on the boards? I cant say yes

You know as well as i, Jefferson didnt play much tonite so w Jones in there this was a small duk lineup.

CuseFaninVT said:
Just offering some ways for him to improve. I love our team but too often we have guys who rebound by jumping high. Tyler is great because he gets great position, but he didn't do nearly enough against Okafor to box him out. I understand Okafor will be a pro next year. I also understand that if we want to beat teams like Duke, we have to play better than them and Tyler not boxing out and allowing at least two easy tip ins for Okafor isn't doing anything close to that. Raise your level of play to that of your opponent.

Rak has more responsibility for Okafor than Tyler.

Rak has more responsibility for Okafor than Tyler.

Oh dear Lord. So when Tyler has his a$$ on Okafor, your claim is that Rak should come over and box them both out?

When Rak has to move to forward to challenge a guard (since none of our guards could possibly stop a dribble drive), then Tyler (or the other wing) has to cover Okafor. Tyler at least tries, G seems like he'd rather be out guarding foul line extended.

CuseFaninVT said:
Oh dear Lord. So when Tyler has his a$$ on Okafor, your claim is that Rak should come over and box them both out? When Rak has to move to forward to challenge a guard (since none of our guards could possibly stop a dribble drive), then Tyler (or the other wing) has to cover Okafor. Tyler at least tries, G seems like he'd rather be out guarding foul line extended.

Didn't say any of that. But you rip on Tyler for 2 rebounds when Okafor had his way all night long.

Didn't say any of that. But you rip on Tyler for 2 rebounds when Okafor had his way all night long.

It was far more than 2 rebounds, but you are clearly going to be mister literal tonight. I already deleted the game so I won't be able to give you an actual number. So you win.

CuseFaninVT said:

Syracuse hasn't boxed out in 26 years. It's not even part of the philosophy (just my opinion there)

You're not wrong, but the way we play defense does not lend itself to boxing out.

Roberson (and other wings) have to mindful of giving up a three to a wing AND rebounding so they naturally are out of position to box out and rebound.

More to the point, if they give up a three they are cussed out and benched, but tip ins get lost in the fray...they are likely to hedge out vs hedge in, exacerbating the problem.

This isn't new and you could say the same thing about Carmelo...he was just better than everybody.

This is just basketball physics, and style

CuseFaninVT said:
It was far more than 2 rebounds, but you are clearly going to be mister literal tonight. I already deleted the game so I won't be able to give you an actual number. So you win.

We play a 2-3 zone. Roberson plays on the wing of that 2-3. He'll be more inside when the ball is on the over side. The only guy that's in the lane all the time is Rak. Okafor owned Rak on both ends tonight. No shame in that since he is the best low post player in the country. But you seem to want to blame Roberson for everything tonight. I bet Rak and G were bigger issues inside. Roberson find a way to get 9 rebounds.

I love Tyler but I was disappointed in him tonight. He has to either perfect that spin move or completely dispose of it. It's awful right now. And he needs to get more explosive. I'm tired of seeing him miss out on an And 1 situation because he had his shot blocked during the foul. And BOX THE F OUT! Sorry, but he gave up too much to Okafor tonight. Looked like a little kid.
Okafor makes pretty much every college big man look like a little kid.

I dont know how anyone could even remotely blame Tyler for this game. The sad part for me was Rakeem getting madhandled again vs Duke on a national stage. Okafor beat him both games by quite a bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom