Rock, Paper, Scissors | Syracusefan.com

Rock, Paper, Scissors

All4SU

Duos Cultores Scientia Coronat et Go Aureum
Like most sports, college basketball is a game of match-ups. Rock beats scissors; paper beats rock; scissors beats paper, etc. In SU's case, we have had extremely talented offensive teams, who have been defeated by tough, physical defensive teams. We have had great defensive teams who have been defeated by teams who go lights out from the outside. We have had running/gunning teams, who meet their waterloo when they fail to rebound. (Of course, I won't get into having balanced teams like 2010, who get done in by injury.)

In the heyday of the BE, SU's finesse teams battled GTown brutish physical teams. In recent years, SU seems to be built for defense, with offense being secondary.

My question is this: going into our first year in the ACC, what type of team gives us the best chance to win? Is making every game a defensive battle the right course of action? Should we be jacking up 3s like Providence under Pitino? Should we be a high-pressure team like L'Ville? A legalized mugging team like Pitt?

Syracuse is in the position that we can get the type of athletes that we want, to suit the style of play we choose. So what do we want?

Like most sports, college basketball is a game of match-ups. Rock beats scissors; paper beats rock; scissors beats paper, etc. In SU's case, we have had extremely talented offensive teams, who have been defeated by tough, physical defensive teams. We have had great defensive teams who have been defeated by teams who go lights out from the outside. We have had running/gunning teams, who meet their waterloo when they fail to rebound. (Of course, I won't get into having balanced teams like 2010, who get done in by injury.)

In the heyday of the BE, SU's finesse teams battled GTown brutish physical teams. In recent years, SU seems to be built for defense, with offense being secondary.

My question is this: going into our first year in the ACC, what type of team gives us the best chance to win? Is making every game a defensive battle the right course of action? Should we be jacking up 3s like Providence under Pitino? Should we be a high-pressure team like L'Ville? A legalized mugging team like Pitt?

Syracuse is in the position that we can get the type of athletes that we want, to suit the style of play we choose. So what do we want?
what happened??

who spiked my drink??

is the tourney over??

did i have fun this summer??

did the football team make a bowl??

good god, we're starting the ACC??

where the hell have i been???

getting old sucks...

Oh Lord

Reactions: cto

Of course the team is going to be playing zone.

I think JB tries to get the best players he can and then the offense takes on an identity all its own. I still think JB values offensive skills in recruits the most, that those are the hardest to find, and that he feels he can teach them the zone. Just recently players like Johnny Flynn, Dion, and DC2 were not prototypical zone recruits but good prospects who would/will be worked into the system.

Recently people have claimed we are built for the zone. I think this team has players that match the zone like a glove, primarily because of MCWs length. As for the future I don't see SU abandoning the zone anytime soon. Our current players all have zone experience and we have skilled, long, athletic forwards coming in and great depth at the center position. It also can become somewhat self sustaining, because if you were a big time tall pg deciding where to go, wouldn't SU have to be high on your list?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom