Rocky Long | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Rocky Long

Usually when someone visits campus and interviews, and then quits their current job without interviewing anywhere else, it would be a pretty forgone conclusion that they were hired.

Right?

it could also be he wanted to coach the bowl game and then decide if he really wanted to back down to a DC but had feelers out ahead of time.

I would love to have him, but I hope Dino tells him if we don't get an answer (contractually binding) in the next 48 hours, we are going to interview others. It's already been 2 months-Don't need it to mirror our QB recruiting, where we wait around while our #1 guy shops around. There are other good guys out there.

Garbage

I mean, I put a lot of stock in what TexanMark said. Could be that we had something lined up, and this opportunity suddenly appeared. There's so many channels here - agents, grapevine, personal connections - that Long's interest could have popped up and SU swooped.

Or a case of you snooze you lose.

it very well could be a factor. especially if he's looking for a place that will pay comparable to what he was making at SDSU. COL is very much a factor in a lot of businesses when people make career choices.
Plus Retro gave me this tidbit in regards to California: Income from retirement accounts and pensions are fully taxed, at some of the highest state income tax rates in the country.

I'm not retired in NY..,but I don't think NY is quite as bad for retirees as California.

Plus Retro gave me this tidbit in regards to California: Income from retirement accounts and pensions are fully taxed, at some of the highest state income tax rates in the country.

I'm not retired in NY..,but I don't think NY is quite as bad for retirees as California.

It's called the sunshine tax and is a welcome tax to not have frozen bones in your 80s.

I would love to have him, but I hope Dino tells him if we don't get an answer (contractually binding) in the next 48 hours, we are going to interview others. It's already been 2 months-Don't need it to mirror our QB recruiting, where we wait around while our #1 guy shops around. There are other good guys out there.

Would be a brilliant way to give someone pause.

who is this retro of which you speak?

I mean, I put a lot of stock in what TexanMark said. Could be that we had something lined up, and this opportunity suddenly appeared. There's so many channels here - agents, grapevine, personal connections - that Long's interest could have popped up and SU swooped.
Yeah I'm confused too. Thought it was a done deal...however, maybe it was a verbal agreement and the paperwork wasn't quite done. I'll try to find out the backstory but I might not get anything.

So you're telling me that there a lot of people in their 70s with multiple millions in the bank that are moving to FAR less desirable locations to save some extra cash for their 80s and 90s? I met 0 people in my years in San Diego who were leaving for the northeast for any other reason than they couldn't afford it anymore.

What you're saying makes perfect sense for somebody that is retired.

That's not the situation here. While I don't think that it can be argued with any intellectual honesty that San Diego isn't far superior weather-wise to Syracuse, in football you go where the jobs are.

At 900k plus a year in CNY Rocky could add an indoor beach and still be 500k below median home values in his likely current neighborhood. Not to mention depending on when he bought in SD.. he may have made 2-3x in equity so selling (if he does) would be a nice little bonus. Or maybe he owns it, keeps it and we have a Cali recruiting center of ops to use.

I mean you can move to FL and not pay a tax to not have frozen bones lol
Never heard of this? Tell me more? ;)

Seriously, I believe NY is better than CA for pension income, etc...

fl-1549567076-tl1u0s7n5s-snap-image

Last edited:
I think they tax your SS in FL and AZ.
Florida has no state income tax, which means Social Security retirement benefits, pension income and income from an IRA or a 401(k) are all untaxed. Florida has no estate or inheritance tax, and property and sales tax rates are close to national marks.

What you're saying makes perfect sense for somebody that is retired.

That's not the situation here. While I don't think that it can be argued with any intellectual honesty that San Diego isn't far superior weather-wise to Syracuse, in football you go where the jobs are.

I certainly understand that part, we were discussing if any human would make that move due specifically to the cost of living difference.

I certainly understand that part, we were discussing if any human would make that move due specifically to the cost of living difference.

we weren’t discussing that. You made it that.

Florida has no state income tax, which means Social Security retirement benefits, pension income and income from an IRA or a 401(k) are all untaxed. Florida has no estate or inheritance tax, and property and sales tax rates are close to national marks.

Reason #1 why all the Boomers are moving to Florida

or maybe we just want to live next to Florida Man (this species exists in large numbers north of I-4)

we weren’t discussing that. You made it that.

Not re-reading though 11 pages so I'll just bow down.