Ron "Buss" Patterson | Syracusefan.com

Ron "Buss" Patterson

TheGov3304

Scout Team
Special shoutout to former disrespected Syracuse player Ron "Buss" Patterson. The man has found a home at IUPUI, continuing to work on his game and shoot a very good 38.6% from 3 through the first 17 games of the season. The man was once essentially told not to shoot and that he is only on the floor because you need to play the game with 5 on the court. He currently is in preparation for a monumental game against Omaha tomorrow.

The funny thing about Patterson was that he came in with a reputation as a quality shooter / defender with a sick wingspan for a guard, who couldn't handle the ball at all.

As it turns out, he ended up being basically the opposite--a better all around player than expected, but couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, and not a great defender up top in the zone [probably would have been better in a man2man system]. He ended up being much better creating off the bounce than reputed. If only he could have shot a minimum of 33% of whatever from three...

To be clear: I still think that Patterson was more like a St. John's type of player than a Syracuse player, but there's no doubt that he could have been a bench contributor had he stayed.

Ron Patterson aka Weezy F Baby
images

Ron Patterson aka Weezy F Baby
images

Ha ha -- well appearances aside, I know that the coaches really liked / respected Patterson and his work ethic. He was a "yes sir, no sir" guy in practice. They were just looking to add Thomas Bryant, who would have been more valuable than Patterson, so he was an unfortunate casualty of the NCCA-induced numbers crunch.

Too bad.

I actually thought he had potential. I liked his vision on offense when he got into the lane. Limited minutes to see what he could do, but I always thought he would be a rotational player.

He lost confidence in himself when his shot wasn't falling, and the coaches lost confidence as a result. Refreshing to see him have success in his hometown of Indy.

BJ and Ron were in the same boat - forced into minutes due to lack of depth and misses on the recruiting trail. Both would have benefited from a redshirt year, or at the very least would have been much more prepared to contribute as a junior & senior a la Baye Keita and Lazarus Sims, etc.

BJ didn't shoot the ball great at Syracuse either, but now he's shooting over 40% at La Salle. It's all about opportunity, confidence, and consistency. You're seeing that with the group playing for SU now - they all know they're going to play, aren't looking over their shoulder and are playing confidently.

What a difference a year of extra physical development makes.

BJ was done a disservice by not being redshirted here. Absolutely needed to happen, given his age relative to his class, and his lack of physical maturity. His legs were toothpicks freshman year.

Love his dad as a poster, but really wish they'd redshirted the kid.

BJ was done a disservice by not being redshirted here. Absolutely needed to happen, given his age relative to his class, and his lack of physical maturity. His legs were toothpicks freshman year.

How many times did I say that?

Special shoutout to former disrespected Syracuse player Ron "Buss" Patterson. The man has found a home at IUPUI, continuing to work on his game and shoot a very good 38.6% from 3 through the first 17 games of the season. The man was once essentially told not to shoot and that he is only on the floor because you need to play the game with 5 on the court. He currently is in preparation for a monumental game against Omaha tomorrow.

I would like to give a shoutout to all the Syracuse fans in their living rooms that like me would scream nnnnnoooooooooooo every time Buss took a shot. Did he even shoot 20%? It was one of those rare moments that I thought to myself, I have friends that could shoot better than this.

I agree regarding BJ's dad. He should have been redshirted. Too bad because I really liked BJ and thought he could have helped us.

How bad was he compared to Scoop as a Freshman? I thought Ron had potential to be pretty good for us down the line.

I liked both those kids. As many have already said, BJ should have been redshirted. That isn't something that people are saying in retrospect it was the predominant train of thought here on the board back during his freshman year. He is the prototypical 4 year player that can pay handsome dividends to the program while also contributing stability and continuity. We've had too many short termers here at Syracuse over the past 6 or 7 years and it has adversely affected the program.

The short termers come in two varieties... the one and two and dones and the others who are recruited to come here, ostensibly as a result of due diligence in the recruiting arena and then summarily shown the door after a year because they didn't play to the level expected. Most left with their confidence shattered and things which were assumed to be part of their skill set seemed to not materialize. We have a long history of players who blossomed after 3 years on the team, some of whom because of either injury or redshirt were afforded the extra time to mature physically, emotionally, and in terms of improved play from practice and assimilating themselves in a fashion which was honed toward contributing to our 2-3 zone.

Look at people like Andy Rautins and Rick Jackson, CJ Fair, Christmas... all of whom did not start out their Syracuse careers turning heads and putting up big numbers. But by the time they were Seniors they had developed into integral parts of the team and where comfortable in their roles on the team while also providing leadership and continuity .

I'm not so sure it's a great idea to have a revolving door with some of these kids who in my opinion... if they were good enough to bring here they may well have been good enough to make a commitment to over a period of time in which their potential and maximum contribution to the program can be realized.

That my friends... is just my humble opinion... and besides, I liked Buss and BJ and think we'd be better off if they had stayed.

I wouldn't mind having Ron this year as additional backcourt depth considering some of the issues that have arisen. But I'm glad to see him having some success at IUPIU and realistically, that's probably the level for his talent to most display. There's nothing wrong with that either - it's hard to be a Div 1 player. I remember guys in my high school region who I thought were great players and they weren't even close to playing Div 1.

Shame Buss had to go but an even bigger shame that Boeheim chased BJ out of town. I will never forget Boeheim for making BJ leave. He should be ashamed he let that talent walk. And in BJ's sophomore season towards the end of it, he was really coming on.

Johnson was essentially the reason that team in 2015 beat a very good Notre Dame team on the road. Boeheim really messed up on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom