Ron Thompson's Disappearing Act | Syracusefan.com

Ron Thompson's Disappearing Act

Oswego93

Scout Team
Granted, this problem is waaaaaaaaay down the list of issues that are behind our collpase/exposure. But once again, RT gets his sack, and then completely disappears for the remainder of the game - having no impact. It's disturbing for a player who has had so much hype surrounding his ability, and next-level plans (ie.e leaving early for the NFL).

We need the few playmakers we have on defense to actually make some plays, regularly. RT just seems to take himself out of most plays by penetrating way too deep (I know, that is what my mother said), or losing contain. He'll either make his man look foolish (as he did on his lone sack), or be a complete non factor. Unfortunately, the former is not happening very often. After having a fantastic game against LSU, his gameday recipe has been exactly the same during each loss (i.e., gets a sack, then goes into witness protection).

Franklin is another guy not making enough "decent/good" plays series after series. He either gets run over, or is in the wrong gap many times. It's far less of an issue with him than it is with RT, but it still applies to some degree. At least we hear his name called more than once or twice per game.

Again, I realize coaching, our secondary, etc. are far larger issues, but this has been bugging me since USF.

I just figured they would be double teaming him all day. Unfortunately we need more than him to have an effective front four. Clark looks like he will be good but we need some bodies on that line stat.

I just figured they would be double teaming him all day. Unfortunately we need more than him to have an effective front four. Clark looks like he will be good but we need some bodies on that line stat.

But he isn't getting doubled most plays. I've been focused on him for this stretch. If he doesn't beat his man witht he initial move (and, like most DLinemen, he doesn't, most plays), he just seems to go into cruise control.

On a positive note, at least we don't have to worry about him not returning for his senior year.

FSU runs a nice pass protection called hold or tackle the blitzer. Worked out well for them or the ref's where blind, still not sure which.

PAcuse said:
FSU runs a nice pass protection called hold or tackle the blitzer. Worked out well for them or the ref's where blind, still not sure which.

There were a lot of weird no-calls. We weren't winning anyways - but it still ticks me off.

Their all-world CB liked to hold Ishmeal. Even Spielman noticed and called it out.

There were a couple where they tackled the blitzer right in front of the ref. If I remember correctly they scored a td on one of those.

My amateur observation from Section 310 is that Thompson does not anticipate the movements of the offensive lineman and quarterback well. I am sure some of this can be improved through experience, but I wonder how much of it is instinctual. Perhaps, people who have coached defense can comment.

Thompson is still one of the best pass rushers this team has had in the last 20 years.

There were a lot of weird no-calls. We weren't winning anyways - but it still ticks me off.

Their all-world CB liked to hold Ishmeal. Even Spielman noticed and called it out.
He was all over Ishmeal. He held him a few times and one time spun him away form the pass before he touched. You could see how frustrated Ishmeal was getting, I saw him jawing to the CB a bunch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom