Rooting for Dino and the team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rooting for Dino and the team

Of course rooting for the team doesn't influence the outcome.

On the other hand, wearing the appropriate lucky attire absolutely influences the outcome. The problem is, you don't know which specific shirt is going to be lucky on that day. That is why it is very important to have depth on the shirt roster. If the Otto sweatshirt isn't getting it done, I go to the bench at halftime. The Otto sweatshirt comes off and the script "Syracuse" tee shirt comes on. And so forth.

I'm heading off to the gym in 5 minutes and today is the Orange block "S" tee shirt with blue shorts. That worked for me a couple of times this year, so why not today?

I just wish that when SU unveils their uniform for the week that they would also tell me which shirt I should be wearing to guarantee a win. Of course, they are incapable of guessing the correct uni for the team to guarantee a win, so I guess I'm on my own.

They are asking for donations, they are asking for NIL $$$ from me, and now they are asking that the win or loss depends entirely upon what I am wearing. It's a lot of pressure on me, to be honest with you.

The whole thing went to poop when you removed the mustache.

VT fired Fuentes because their half dozen donors that matter hated him and said they would cut the spigot off.

And? That doesn't diverge from my point. I didn't bring up VA Tech. Implying what happened there in the early 1990s has nothing to do with how they would act today. There is no way they would have kept Dino this long.

And? That doesn't diverge from my point. I didn't bring up VA Tech. Implying what happened there in the early 1990s has nothing to do with how they would act today. There is no way they would have kept Dino this long.

Fuente got fired because people didn't like him and he shut them out. It's not the same thing.

Fuente got fired because people didn't like him and he shut them out. It's not the same thing.

Again you keep going on tangents and avoiding the real conversations. It is really weird.

The exact reason doesn't matter, it is the act of firing. VA Tech was willing to move on from the HC. That is the main point. Other schools are willing to move on for a variety of reasons.

SU is justified to move on from Dino and is not willing to do so. What other program would do the same? Based on the prior actions (not all the same reasons), I don't think another program would.

BTW do you think VA Tech would "like" Dino after his record? They wouldn't keep him just because of his personality. You are really stretching here.

I always root for the team/players. I can't root for a coach that I feel is holding them back at this point.

Again you keep going on tangents and avoiding the real conversations. It is really weird.

The exact reason doesn't matter, it is the act of firing. VA Tech was willing to move on from the HC. That is the main point. Other schools are willing to move on for a variety of reasons.

SU is justified to move on from Dino and is not willing to do so. What other program would do the same? Based on the prior actions (not all the same reasons), I don't think another program would.

BTW do you think VA Tech would "like" Dino after his record? They wouldn't keep him just because of his personality. You are really stretching here.

We're also concurrently raising 150 million dollars to build facilities. If the school were to buy him out in 2020-2021 Dino's money comes out of that pot. Which would be stupid.

Fuentes was 43-31 at VT, 28-20 in conference. He got fired because people hated him and they were going to withhold money. Had nothing to do with performance. Dino will not get retained because of performance. No one was withholding money here because of Dino.

You have a zillion posts on this.

The whole thing went to poop when you removed the mustache.
Well, to fair, I removed the mustache about 14 years ago. Then, when the pandemic started I asked myself “why am I shaving at all”. So the mustache and beard returned albeit a “tastefully trimmed” one.

None of that has helped the football winning percentage as far as I can tell. Maybe I should grow a Shrader-esque beard but then again, it doesn’t seem to be helping him. So I don’t know.

Even when the BIlls stunk and there was a legitimate reason to hope they lose for a higher draft pick, I couldn't cheer against them. So of course I'll cheer for SU all the way.

Last edited:
We're also concurrently raising 150 million dollars to build facilities. If the school were to buy him out in 2020-2021 Dino's money comes out of that pot. Which would be stupid.

Fuentes was 43-31 at VT, 28-20 in conference. He got fired because people hated him and they were going to withhold money. Had nothing to do with performance. Dino will not get retained because of performance. No one was withholding money here because of Dino.

You have a zillion posts on this.

You went off topic again, but while we are on this topic...

If weren't behind the times (another topic entirely) and trying to play catchup in facilities (meaning we have more money freed up), would Dino have been fired already this year? If not, would he be fired at the end of the year or would the door still be open for him to come back should he get to 6 or 7 Ws?

Based on the info I have (admittedly mostly 2nd hand), the door is still open for Dino to come back next year and it has nothing to do with funding. The SU administration doesn't want to move on yet, and a few influential people are fond of Dino and are not ready to move on yet. I don't think another P4 program would also be in this situation, but that is just my opinion.

Oh and as to withholding money, in a way the SU fanbase has already done that by not showing up to games this year. That isn't major donors, but it does have some impact. Next year will be even worse should Dino be retained. You are also making it harder to gain lost fans back. SU has taken the fanbase for granted. On top of that, good luck getting crowd sourced NIL money with Dino as HC.

Agreed. Especially against Pitt we need to end their winning streak.

There's absolutely no positives or silver linings about what we have sat through since the Purdue game especially if you were unfortunate to attend any of them VT was simply the worst event I have ever been to. BC last week was mind blowing stuff since it should have been a blowout for us with average passing. This is an 0-8 or 1-7 ACC team sadly.

But a win today and one of the last two would be great.

If weren't behind the times (another topic entirely) and trying to play catchup in facilities (meaning we have more money freed up), would Dino have been fired already this year? If not, would he be fired at the end of the year or would the door still be open for him to come back should he get to 6 or 7 Ws?

Based on the info I have (admittedly mostly 2nd hand), the door is still open for Dino to come back next year and it has nothing to do with funding. The SU administration doesn't want to move on yet, and a few influential people are fond of Dino and are not ready to move on yet. I don't think another P4 program would also be in this situation, but that is just my opinion.

Oh and as to withholding money, in a way the SU fanbase has already done that by not showing up to games this year. That isn't major donors, but it does have some impact. Next year will be even worse should Dino be retained. You are also making it harder to gain lost fans back. SU has taken the fanbase for granted. On top of that, good luck getting crowd sourced NIL money with Dino as HC.

If we go back to White it makes no sense to fire Dino early. None. What if Long wins out then you have a situation where the wrong former DC is hired. If someone else gets the job then we probably should have let Long coach the last 2-3 games.

In the end it doesn't matter much. I think we'll retain a pretty decent defense and I think the O is looking at Colorado level of turnover. QB is the most important position it should be a 3 way competitition with guys not currently on the roster next year. I don't think the portal is that bountiful now the NCAA is enforcing the year sit out on guys who have already transferred. Thinking our problems end when Dino is finally axed is crazy.

Imagine how things would be going if LQA wasn't an Iron Man and somehow healthy through 9 games despite us using him on every down?

I didn't, I added context to our financial state.

I do agree we wasted a decade with Gross that has put us in a massive hole with facilities and donors.

We're playing in the Bronx today because its the difference between a seven figure payout verses a single game ticket at the Dome, so, that money has been recouped to a certain degree.

Im rooting for the players.

Don’t support how the programs ran. Not a fan of the head coach. Not an alumni.

Im a central new yorker who roots for Syracuse because thats who I am.

Will never root for us to lose but wont want Dino back in any case.

Im rooting for the players.

Don’t support how the programs ran. Not a fan of the head coach. Not an alumni.

Im a central new yorker who roots for Syracuse because thats who I am.

Will never root for us to lose but wont want Dino back in any case.
I'm a local and alum but I identify myself as a local first. Idk just how it is...

Why turn this thread into something else? There's a hundred other threads discussing how Syracuse AD and Dino sucks, that SU is cheap and doesn't want to win and everything else. How about we keep this a simple I hope the team wins thread and leave it at that?

Since you asked, and I can see other than the likes you received, no one responded. So, I guess I'll expose myself.

Your last sentence carries the word "simple" in it...if only it was that "simple." Yes, in a vacuum, or a 100% compartmentalizing standpoint, I'd completely agree. However, it's difficult to be "all in" on this 'simplicity' principle because of how that could easily, let's just say, muddy up the waters. Especially, when one considers the ways in which SU has and does typically roll, etc.

If SU were to win out, go 7-5 to finish the regular season, gets to a bowl, etc., now what? It could happen, and not because of some significant righting of the ship so to speak. Beating two teams in Pitt and Wake that are just, simply bad, and, a mediocre GT team isn't that much of a feat, at least not in my view.

Therefore, I'm not a fan at this point of anything that can muddy up the waters that may inspire SU to keep Babers on board. And, if they don't fire him, they likely would have to commit to some type of extension, etc., otherwise the continued uncertainty and speculation likely will be used against and hurt SU relative to future recruiting, etc.

Since you asked, and I can see other than the likes you received, no one responded. So, I guess I'll expose myself.

Your last sentence carries the word "simple" in it...if only it was that "simple." Yes, in a vacuum, or a 100% compartmentalizing standpoint, I'd completely agree. However, it's difficult to be "all in" on this 'simplicity' principle because of how that could easily, let's just say, muddy up the waters. Especially, when one considers the ways in which SU has and does typically roll, etc.

If SU were to win out, go 7-5 to finish the regular season, gets to a bowl, etc., now what? It could happen, and not because of some significant righting of the ship so to speak. Beating two teams in Pitt and Wake that are just, simply bad, and, a mediocre GT team isn't that much of a feat, at least not in my view.

Therefore, I'm not a fan at this point of anything that can muddy up the waters that may inspire SU to keep Babers on board. And, if they don't fire him, they likely would have to commit to some type of extension, etc., otherwise the continued uncertainty and speculation likely will be used against and hurt SU relative to future recruiting, etc.
So you’re actively rooting for SU to lose today? Cool cool.

"Actively?" No. Look, I realize my post isn't going to fetch any likes, I'm guessing perhaps yours may though. Cool, cool.

Sometimes; 'taking a step back may be the best way forward.'
Who cares about post likes? Do whatever you want.

The outcome is gonna be the outcome regardless of any of our rooting interest. So personally I’m always going to want for us to win. If we don’t then we discuss what occurs from there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom