Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Roy Williams Retiring / UNC hires Hubert Davis

I’m not worried about Louisville. Mack isn’t exactly lighting the world on fire there.

Good point there. He has done a good job in the past so I could see him getting things rolling in all fairness.

Underrated, and dare i say,
under-appreciated post.
Well done.

And yet the other question is does that mean you can get paid as a professor and not have to teach? Sounds like a good job opportunity.

Might explain where Dr Runner has his practice and Research institute.

Stackhouse would be a logical and likely very good hire for them.
Stackhouse can’t handle Vanderbilt media.
I wouldn’t want him handling the Carolina media.

This job is probably the best in college basketball I can’t see them giving the keys to Stackhouse he hasn’t done well at Vandy.

It will be interesting who gets the job. Steve Robinson has been there the whole time Roy has I think and was with Roy before. I'm not saying he gets the job but will be interesting. Stackhouse has not done well at Vandy so I'm not sure he gets it. They would probably give it to Hubert Davis first.

Hilarious that they have PR people that actually picked this date...

College hoops loses a good one. Always did it the right way.
Speculation here in Tar Heel country is there may be, unfortunately, a health component to all this. Either with Roy or a family member, maybe the wife.
A couple of weeks ago there was talk about how motivated Roy was to come back & kick ass next year, and then this sudden, abrupt, departure?
Hopefully it’s not the case. I’ve always thought he was one of the greatest coaches ever, & like others have said, never understood the grief that a lot of our fans threw at him.

Stackhouse can’t handle Vanderbilt media.
I wouldn’t want him handling the Carolina media.

This job is probably the best in college basketball I can’t see them giving the keys to Stackhouse he hasn’t done well at Vandy.
I think Wes Miller or Hubert Davis or Steve Robinson. I don't think they go outside even thought they probably call a few people like Mark Few and Brad Stevens.

20 times he finished in the AP top 10 (in 33 seasons).
9 final fours.
3 national championships.

That's a ridiculous record.

Glad we beat him in 2003.
He can coach. Based upon their academic scandal, I think 2 of those NC's are questionable.

Speculation here in Tar Heel country is there may be, unfortunately, a health component to all this. Either with Roy or a family member, maybe the wife.
A couple of weeks ago there was talk about how motivated Roy was to come back & kick ass next year, and then this sudden, abrupt, departure?
Hopefully it’s not the case. I’ve always thought he was one of the greatest coaches ever, & like others have said, never understood the grief that a lot of our fans threw at him.
Hopefully that is not the case. I always liked Roy Williams and thought his teams were fun to watch.

I think Wes Miller or Hubert Davis or Steve Robinson. I don't think they go outside even thought they probably call a few people like Mark Few and Brad Stevens.
Robinson was at Florida State as HC before becoming Roy’s Bernie Fine.

I think he was the HC when Florida State lost to Valparaiso in the second round of the NCAAT in 1998.

Robinson was at Florida State as HC before becoming Roy’s Bernie Fine.

I think he was the HC when Florida State lost to Valparaiso in the second round of the NCAAT in 1998.
Robinson is in his early 60's. I could see Davis getting the job and they try and keep going with the same staff. Hasn't Davis been there close to 10 years.

Maybe they can bring back Matt Doherty again? I’m all for that!

I doubt he is leaving because of the idea he has to replace players. The players leaving because of not knowing their head coach is very possible
More likely than possible. His players seem to absolutely love him, not to mention the emotions between him and players at the end of the season.

I doubt he is leaving because of the idea he has to replace players. The players leaving because of not knowing their head coach is very possible
IDK...I think the state of the game has to be weighing on coaches, especially these older legends.

The idea that you have to rebuild your team every year now...has gotta be frustrating for many. ...and that players can leave if they dislike any little thing is not a good development for coaches any way you slice it.

College basketball is not in a good place overall, imo. But You could very well be right...

Roy Williams was always a totally class act. At the 1996 Final Four after we beat Mississippi State in the first game Roy stopped to talk to me and a bunch of Syracuse friends who were just standing in the corridor between games. He talked to us for at least 15 minutes and was complimentary of our Syracuse team and gave us some great scouting info on the next game which was UK vs. UMass. True story. Very genuine and nice guy.