Runs and Bases: The 1920's Part 2 | Syracusefan.com

Runs and Bases: The 1920's Part 2

SWC75

Bored Historian
THE GREATEST TEAM EVER?

In his “New Historical Baseball Abstract” (written in 2000), Bill James has an article entitled “The Greatest Team What Ever Was” in which he says he has been asked several times to write a book on the subject. It was a natural question. James had already done superb books on the Hall of Fame, (The Politics of Glory, 1994), and the great baseball managers, (The Bill James Guide to Baseball Managers, 1997). In those books he had asked the questions that needed to be asked on the subject of who belongs in the Hall of Fame and who was the greatest manager and then devises systems of analyzing the questions that serve as an intellectual conduit to the truth. He also examines systems that have been used by other people and finds them wanting. They are pretty much of a tour de force.

But in the NHBA, Bill whiffs on the issue of the greatest team of all time. He’s decided to never write that book because:
A) You can’t write a book saying that the 1927 Yankees were the greatest team ever because it’s already been said too many times and
B) You can’t write a book saying that the 1927 Yankees weren’t the greatest team ever, because they were.

He adds that you could argue that, for example the 1998 Yankees were better than the 1927 Yankees just because athletes have become bigger and stronger and any 1998 team would be better than any 1927 of anything like similar accomplishment. Bill has another A and B about this:
A) Whatever assumption you make about the quality of play over time is absolutely going to determine who you decide was the greatest team ever and
B) You can’t convince anybody.

“So that’s a waste of time. What I fall back to is, it’s not the destination that counts, it’s the scenery- and that’s just not me. I’ve got to have a point to make or I don’t know what to say. Two of my friends, Eddie Epstein and Rob Neyer, wrote a book on the subject which came out just before this one went to the publisher. They had a different approach and a different solution to the problem plus they are both outstanding researchers with original approaches so that’s a terrific book. I will leave it to them.”

Epstein and Neyer’s book is called “Baseball Dynasties: The Greatest Teams of All Time”. I don’t have it. Reading Amazon’s reviews, I found this summary: “It's a unique book with chapters on each team consisting of statistical info like seasonal win-loss records and post season results, pennant races, how they fared against contenders, runs scored & allowed & sabermetric figures like Pythagorean Winning Percentage and Offensive Winning Percentages.” Also: “From this truly simple calculation (standard deviation of runs scored above a standard and runs allowed below a standard), the authors got a nice spreadsheet of team evaluations. And by sorting and accruing this data several different ways, they were able to make a book out of it. In truth, it makes a better statistical table than a book.” And: “Early in the book, Neyer and Epstein make the offhand remark, "...popular myth holds that the truly good teams are the ones that win the close games. That's complete bullsh--... Truly great teams... blow away their competition."

Here are their choices for the best 15 teams in baseball history, in rank order, (but upside down):
http://www.baseball-almanac.com/legendary/lidyna.shtml
So I guess you can write a book saying that the 1927 Yankees weren’t the greatest team ever. Maybe that means they weren’t?

Bill James, of course, has washed his hands of the debate. But it doesn’t prevent him from putting three more articles in the subject on his NHBA. In one of them, he says: “Some people have made efforts to evaluate the greatest teams ever by, for example, looking at the norms and standard deviations of runs scored by teams…Maybe it’s just me but I can’t really see that that type of analysis leads anywhere except back to the team’s won-lost record. To state the runs scored in terms of standard deviations from the norm, you’re going to have to look at standard deviations over a period of several years or you’re going to be subject to an irrelevant influence based on whether there was or was not another team in the league which could score runs and whether or not there happened to be a real bad team in the league…If you use multi-year standard deviations, then you’re probably going to conclude that the best team was the team that won the most games. While the won-lost record of the team is certainly a good starting point, it is, after all, a starting point. If you keep coming back that you’re walking in circles.” This is how you go from being, “outstanding researchers with original approaches” to “some people”.

By the way, here is a discussion of standard deviations in case you weren’t sure what they were, (of course, you may still be unsure after you read this):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_deviation

In one of his articles on the subject he had abandoned, James proposes that if you had a team with a superior starter at every position, that would be a tough team to beat. Maybe you could evaluate teams based on how close they came to that standard. He discusses several teams that would rank well in that department but who cannot be considered a contender for the greatest team because they didn’t win it all: the 1930 Cubs, the 1941 Dodgers, the 1954 Indians, the 1962 Dodgers. He also sites a team that did win it all: The Big Red Machine, and suggests that if they’d gotten Tom Seaver two years earlier than they did, they might have been the greatest team. But they didn’t, so they weren’t. “The ’27 Yankees had poor catching, erratic defense in the middle infield, an aging third baseman and a big doofus reliever who was just a one year fluke. But Ruth and Gehrig were so good they count as two superstars a piece and Combs was the fourth-best player in the league.“ In other words, it’s about the quality of your best players, not the quantity of their good ones.

“There is a gentleman who has written some articles claiming that the 1929-31 Philadelphia A’s were really the great team of that era. His argument is that, of these two great teams the Yankees were ‘built first’ but that, when both teams were complete, the A’s had a better team. After all, he will point out, in 1929 the Yankees still had Ruth and Gehrig and Combs and Meusel and Lazzeri and had added Bill Dickey but the A’s beat them by almost twenty games. The A’s beat them by twenty games because, by 1929, the Yankee’s pitching staff had fallen apart. The 1927 Yankee pitching staff was outstanding but old By 1929 Herb Pennock was barely hanging on. Dutch Reuther was retired. Urban Shocker was dead. Waite Hoyt was ineffective and Wilcy Moore was back in the minors. …the 1929-31 A’s were a great team, but they were able to beat the Yankees because the Yankees were pitching Hank Johnson and Ed Wells and Ry Sherid.”

I think the “gentleman” in question might be William Nack:
http://www.si.com/vault/1996/08/19/...ary-yankees-so-why-hasnt-anyone-heard-of-them

In his third article on the subject, James discusses his standards for a great team. He stresses the need for sustained excellence. He grades teams over a five year period by the following six criteria: finishing over .500; winning 90 games; winning 100 games; winning the division; winning the league and winning the World Series. If you meet all six criteria, you get 6 points. The most points a franchise could get in five years is 30 and the closest anybody has come to that standard are the 1935-39 and 1949-53 Yankees, both with 25 points. The 1906-10 Cubs have 24. So do the 1942-46 Cardinals and the 1960-64 Yankees. The 1910-14 Athletics get 23 points. The 1971-75 Athletics and 1995-99 Braves get 22. The 1928-32 Athletics get 21 while the 1926-30 Yankees have only 18.

Bill also suggests you should look at the number of great players a team has: “who is a star, who is a superstar and so on. Then you could scan the rosters and credit the team, perhaps with ten points for each legitimate superstar, seven points for an All-star, four points for a minor star and three points for a quality regular.“ Here we get another A and B from Bill: “Why would you want to do that? You would want to do that if:
A) You were serious interested in identifying the greatest team in the history of baseball and
B) You bought the theory that a great team must have great players. “
Of course, the system Bill describes evaluates not just great, but good players. And it sounds rather similar to his previously debunked system of seeing how many superior players a team has at each position.

His third criteria is interesting: “a great team needs to be able to win anywhere, anytime…How many different things did this team do well? Did they have speed and left-handed power and right-handed power and infield defense and outfield defense and starting pitching and relief pitching and right handed pitching and left-handed pitching and .300 hitters and leadoff men?.. I’m not saying that a team needs to be able to win on demand, but having a bunch of fast guys, a couple of .300 hitters and some pitchers who throw strikes may be enough to win 100 games if you’re playing in a big park. But you’ve got to go into Yankee stadium and beat the Yankees, so let’s look at your left-handed power.”

Bill’s final article on the subject dissects a team that is often offered up by modern fans as the greatest rival of the 1927 Yankees for the title: the 1961 Yankees. The ’61 Yankees have some serious strengths: This team hit 240 home runs, (the ’27 Yanks hit only 158). Their pitching staff allowed opponents to bat only .228 against them. And the most underrated thing about the team was their fielding. They may have had the best fielding line-up ever. Yogi Berra and Elston Howard were excellent defensive catchers. Bill Skowron was a superior defensive first basemen. Bobby Richardson and Tony Kubek were a terrific double play combination. Clete Boyer was one of the great third basemen. Mantle and Maris were superior outfielders. The one weakness might be left field, where whoever wasn’t catching among Berra, Howard and Johnny Blanchard, (who hit 64 home runs between them), would play.

James jumps on that: “And in left field, what do the Yankees have? A 36 year old catcher. Yeah, I know it’s Yogi Berra: he’s a 36 year old catcher. You want to try that in Riverfront Stadiumagainst the ’75 Reds? Good luck.” He’s talking about playing on an artificial surface. Of course, in 1961, deepest left field in Yankee Stadium was 461 feet. So the guys in left field couldn’t have been too bad. Even if thyey were inadequate, it didn’t prevent them from winning 109 games.

James not only doesn’t consider the 1961 Yankees the greatest team ever. He says they weren’t even a great team. He points out that, for all their home runs, they didn’t lead the league in runs scored. The Tigers did, (841-827). James says they aren’t in the top 200 all time in runs scored. “The ’61 Yankees led the league in home runs…slugging percentage and intentional walks. They were dead last in the league in doubles, tied for fifth in triples, next to last in (unintentional) walks, dead last in stolen bases.” He compares that unfavorably to the 1976 Reds, who led the NL in home runs, hits, doubles, triples, walks, steals batting average, on base percentage and slugging percentage, as well as fewest double plays grounded into. The ’61 Yankees do poorly in that third criteria- versatility. James noted that they had a 4-5 record vs. the last place Senators in Washington. That was the toughest home run park in the league so James uses that stat to project that the ’61 Yankees wouldn’t have done very well in the deadball era and couldn’t have beaten a top team of that time, being forced to play that style of ball for which they were ill-equipped.

James also says their bench was depleted by expansion, with Blanchard the only quality reserve and his value was mostly on offense. He goes beyond that to say that in 1961 the Yankees had the worst bench in the American League. I’m not sure about that but looking at the players involved and their numbers, Bill has a point there:
http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/NYY/1961.shtml

He also says that Whitey Ford was the only really good pitcher on the team. The team had only three pitchers who had winning records in the rest of their career, other than 1961: Ford, Bob Turley and Jim Coates. Turley was basically washed up and Coates was a middle reliever who always came in with a lead. Of course, the Yankees usually had leads because they were a good team. And these pitchers certainly had good records in 1961. They were pitching for a very good team. Many of them were with the Kansas City Athletics when they weren’t with the Yankees. The Yankees used the A’s almost as a farm team in the 50’s and when those guys pitched for the A’s they had lousy records because they were on a lousy team. James ends his diatribe by announcing ”The 1961 Yankees were not a great team. It’s my book: that’s my opinion.” Take two and call me in the morning.

In the NHBA, James picks the top 100 players at each position. He says there’s been about 3,000 players who could haven considered “Regulars” for major league baseball teams over the course of their careers. That means that James has ranked almost a third of them. This could be used as a device to look at the roster strength of teams. I decided to look up James’ ranking of the players listed for teams in Total Baseball, (they list the starters for each team plus 1-2 key reserves and the top pitchers), that might be considered among the greatest ever. I subtracted the number of each ranking from 101 to give that player what I called “James points” and then added up the James points for each team.

The 1927 Yankees had the #1 right fielder (Ruth) and 1st baseman (Gehrig) in the game’s history. 101-1= 100 so they each get 100 James points. The rest of the “Murder’s Row” consisted of Tony Lazzeri, the #19 second baseman, Earle Combs, the #34 center fielder and Bob Meusel, the #79 right fielder. 101-19 = 82. 101-34 = 67. 101-79 = 22, so those guys add another 171 James points. Third baseman Joe Dugan is #88, (101-88 = 13 points). Among the pitchers, Urban Shocker is #71 and Waite Hoyt is #78. Hall of Famer Herb Pennock isn’t in James top 100. Shocker and Hoyt give the 1927 Yankees another 53 James points for a total of 437.

The 1931 Athletics, (yeah, they lost the World Series but that was their peak team), Had Jimmie Foxx, the #21st baseman, (99 James points), Max Bishop, the #43 second baseman, (58), Jimmy Dykes the #52 third baseman, (49), Al Simmons, the #7 left fielder,(94), Doc Cramer, the #91 center fielder ((10), Mickey Cochrane the #4 catcher, (97) with Lefty Grove the #2 pitcher (99) and Ed Rommel the #85 pitcher, (16) for a total of 522 points. Maybe there’s some flaw in this system but it would seem that, by his evaluations of individual players, Bill James should rank the 1931 Athletics above the 1927 Yankees.

I decided to rank other selected teams throughout baseball history using this procedure:
1875 Boston Red Stockings 89 points (Bill doesn’t rank Ross Barnes, Cal McVey or George Wright)
1880 Chicago White Sox 284 points
1886 St. Louis Browns 146 points (Bill didn’t think the AA was as strong as the NL)
1894 Baltimore Orioles 446 points
1897 Boston Beaneaters 542 points
1902 Pittsburgh Pirates 366 points
1905 New York Giants 448 points
1906 Chicago Cubs 516 points
1909 Pittsburgh Pirates 283 points
1910 Philadelphia Athletics 418 points
1912 Boston Red Sox 250 points
1912 New York Giants 218 points
1917 Chicago White Sox 413 points
1919 Cincinnati Reds 227 points
1922 New York Giants 347 points
1923 New York Yankees 267 points
1927 New York Yankees 437 points
1930 Chicago Cubs 432 points
1931 Philadelphia Athletics 522 points
1932 New York Yankees 685 points
1934 St. Louis Cardinals 281 points
1935 Detroit Tigers 449 points
1936 New York Yankees 547 points
1939 New York Yankees 601 points
1941 Brooklyn Dodgers 486 points
1942 St. Louis Cardinals 404 points
1946 Boston Red Sox 386 points
1951 New York Yankees 607 points
1954 Cleveland Indians 627 points
1954 New York Giants 341 points
1955 Brooklyn Dodgers 631 points
1957 Milwaukee Braves 527 points
1961 New York Yankees 557 points
1962 San Francisco Giants 484 points
1963 Los Angeles Dodgers 673 points
1967 St. Louis Cardinals 588 points
1968 Detroit Lions 325 points
1969 New York Mets 263 points
1970 Baltimore Orioles 549 points
1971 Pittsburgh Pirates 492 points
1972 Oakland Athletics 344 points
1975 Cincinnati Reds 595 points
1977 New York Yankees 554 points
1979 Pittsburgh Pirates 365 points
1980 Philadelphia Phillies 618 points
1981 Los Angeles Dodgers 453 points
1982 St. Louis Cardinals 501 points
1983 Baltimore Orioles 252 points
1984 Detroit Tigers 525 points
1986 New York Mets 378 points
1989 Oakland Athletics 468 points
1993 Toronto Blue Jays 329 points
1995 Atlanta Braves 364 points
1998 New York Yankees 434 points

Nobody past 2000 is rated because that’s when the book came out. The latter teams, especially the 1998 Yankees, are probably under-rated because they had players whose reputations have grown since: if James does another book, their players will no doubt be ranked higher. (He listed Derek Jeter and Nomar Garciaparra between #17 Alex Rodriguez and #18 Hughie Jennings among the shortstops with an XXX rating saying it’s too early to rate them: I gave Jeter a #18 ranking in computing the James points for the 1998 Yankees. I’m sure he’d be ranked a lot higher now and not with Garciaparra.)

So by James’ own rankings, 25 teams would seem to be better than the 1927 Yankees, (and I didn’t rate other teams that might have been because I chose certain teams to represent eras of their franchise: the 1930 Athletics, the 1937 Yankees, the 1953 Dodgers, the 1976 Reds, etc. might have been better as well.). Moreover, several teams have far more James points than “Murder’s Row”. What ironic is that one of them had Ruth and Gehrig in their line-up. The Top Ten:

1) 1932 New York Yankees 685 points
2) 1963 Los Angeles Dodgers 673 points
3) 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers 631 points
4) 1954 Cleveland Indians 627 points
5) 1980 Philadelphia Phillies 618 points
6) 1951 New York Yankees 607 points
7) 1939 New York Yankees 601 points
8) 1975 Cincinnati Reds 595 points
9) 1967 St. Louis Cardinals 588 points
10) 1961 New York Yankees 557 points

The 1927 Yankees aren’t even close to making this list. You could argue that the other players on the roster need to be considered as well. But it was the later Yankees, after they’d built up their farm system that were famous for having guys on their bench who would have started for other teams. And surely the talent base for baseball has increased over the years, even beyond the impact of expansion. The population of the country reached 100 million in 1915, 200 million in 1968 and 300 million in 2008. Blacks couldn’t play until 1947 and the last team to integrate was the Red Sox in 1959. The use of Latin players in significant numbers began in the 50’s and now we have Japanese and Australians. It just figures that benches are better now than in past decades.

But the bottom line is, I just have a hard time believing that the best team in the history of the game was a segregated team that played 9 decades ago. I have no problem believing that an individual from that era might have been the greatest player or among the greatest players. But when you extend that to an entire team, it gets harder to believe. I don’t know which team in baseball history is the best but I think these are the primary considerations:

1) Players have become bigger, stronger and faster over the decades.

2) The game has integrated and gone international while the population of the country has tripled since 1915. The talent base has surely increased, well beyond the impact of expansion. The 1927 Yankees may have been a great team, but wouldn’t they have been greater with Biz Mackey behind the plate instead of Pat Collins? Wouldn’t John Henry Lloyd have been a better shortstop than Mark Koenig? Could Jumping Joe Dugan have out-jumped Judy Johnson at third? Was Earle Combs better than Oscar Charleston or Cool Papa Bell? Could Bullet Rogan have helped the pitching staff? In a alter era, we’d have gotten to find out. The Dodgers of the 50’s, the Cardinals of 60’s, the Reds of the 70’s, etc. didn’t have that problem.

3) The techniques of playing the game have evolved and been perfected, or moved closer to perfection. The primary example of this is the variety of pitches being used.

4) Old timers say the big advantage they would have over a modern team is fundamentals. Of course they’ve been saying that since 1871. I agree with this to some extent: you see a lot of players who don’t use the full extent of their talent or play the game consistently hard and intelligently, (As a Met fan, I watched Darryl Strawberry for seven years, so I saw plenty of that). But I think that difference is basically eliminated if you are only looking at the teams considered to be candidates as the “greatest team of all time”. The 1998 Yankees wouldn’t lose any game to anyone because of poor fundamentals. Even the 1986 Mets, even with Strawberry, did a great many more things right than they did wrong.

5) Contrary to what Bill James seemed to be saying, (of course, he seemed to be saying different things at different times), I believe that success in baseball is the product of the strength of the entire roster, not the greatness of certain individuals. The Cubs of the 60’s had Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ron Santo and Ferguson Jenkins. They were no dynasty. The Mariners of the 90’s had Junior Griffey, Alex Rodriguez, Randy Johnson, Edgar Martinez and Jay Buhner. They didn’t win anything. They got rid of most of those guys and won 116 games. Everybody has their turn at bat: there’s no such thing as giving the ball to Jim brown on every play or Michael Jordan every trip downcourt. Every starting pitcher has his spot in the rotation, every relief pitcher or bench player his role to play. Greta stars don’t make a team great: Ruth and Gehrig may count for two superstars each in 1927, but they also did in 1929-31 and look where it got them.

6) I think it’s best avoid two things: teams in expansion years, when they and the rest of the league have been weakened by having another mouth to feed: eventually things get sorted out so we know who the major leaguers are and the ever-increasing pool of talent absorbs it but for a year or two, the top teams will naturally tend to win more games and the bottom teams lose more. Also, avoid teams whose success is based on career years or teams having “dream season”. Those career years and dream season are part of the story and if you play that team, that’s what you’ll have to compete with but in evaluating those teams, (as opposed to competing with them), consistent success is more impressive than sudden and unsustained success. Go for the perennials, not the annuals. Everyone talks about Ruth and Gehrig and Murder’s Row but really, the reason this team won 110 games instead of a more conventional number is Wilcy Moore, an early relief specialist who won 19 games and saved 13 more. The next year he won 4 games and saved three and the Yankees won 101 games. They again swept the World Series but nobody talks about the 1928 Yankees as the greatest team. The difference was Wilcy Moore. If the 1927 Yankees had won 101 games instead of 110, would we be talking about them as the greatest team ever? By the same logic, teams like the 1984 Tigers and 1986 Mets don’t rank with the 1998 Yankees because that same Yankee team, (essentially) won four titles in five years. 1998 was their peak year. Neither the Tigers or the Mets were able to win another title in their eras.

7) The greatest team of all time should be the greatest team of their era. I’m with William Nack: I think the A’s of the period were at least as good and may have been better. “The A's had a record of 313-143 (.686) between 1929 and '31; the Yanks, 302-160 (.654) between 1926 and '28. And while Philadelphia scored six fewer runs than the Yankees--2,710 to 2,716--the A's had five fewer runs scored against them: 1,992 to 1,997. That represents a difference between the two teams, in net scoring, of only one run.” I’ll extend that a little: from 1926-1931, the Yankees and Athletics both won three straight pennants and two World Series, 9both were upset by the Cardinals when they lost). Their records for those six years, (including the World Series) were: Yankees 581-357 (.619), Athletics 596-335 (.640). In the three years the Yankees won the pennant, the A’s finished behind them by a combined 30.5 games. In the three years the A’s won the pennant. They finished 47.5 games ahead of the Yankees. The Yankees did come out on top in head to head matches 68-64. The Yankee’s did have to rebuild their pitching staff in the years the A’s topped them. But they did so with Red Ruffin and Lefty Gomez, both of whom James has rated higher than anyone on the ’27 staff. The A’s staff with Grove, Rommel and George Earnshaw was arguably better anyway. And the 1931 Yankees were the highest scoring teams of the 20th century with 1067 runs. The 1930 Yankees were almost as good with 1062. So those struggling pitchers had a lot to work with. But they were no match for the A’s.

8) It’s not even clear that the ’27 Yankees were the greatest Yankee team of that era. It’s the ’32 Yankees that have the most James points in history. They were 107-47, (vs. 110-44) and won their pennant by 13 games over the A’s and then swept the World Series. They had Ruth and Gehrig. It was the Babe’s last really great year but it was a great one, (.341-41-137-120. They also had Combs and Lazzeri, still going strong. Hall of Famer Bill Dickey was behind the plate. Hall of Famer Joe Sewell was at third. Frankie Crosetti was at short. James ranked him at #67Mark Koenig didn’t make the top 100. Ben Chapman was surely the equal of Bob Meusel in right field (.299 with 41 doubles, 15 triples, 10 home runs and 38 steals. Ruffing and Gomez were in their primes and James had them rated higher than Pennock and Hoyt. Why not that team?

9) The Yankees were not really a dynasty yet in the Babe Ruth Era. They won 7 pennants and 4 World Series in 15 years. That’s very impressive. But it means that half the time somebody else won the pennant and half the time somebody else won the World Series. it doesn’t compare to what the Yankees did from 1936-64, when they won 22 pennants and 16 World Series in 29 years, (and it would have been more but for the war. In Ruth’s era. The difference was that the Yankees had used all the money they made in the Ruth Era to copy Branch Ricky’s concept of a farm system but to do it on a grander scale. When people talk about the great Yankees teams of the 36-64 era, they acknowledge the greatness of DiMaggio and Mantle and even Berra and Ford but what they talk about most is that the Yankees had guys on their bench who could start for other teams. They could fill out a pitching rotation better than anyone else. They invented the bullpen. But that came after the Babe Ruth period. It’s not surprising that the 1932 Yankees were actually better than the 1927 Yankees and I think the 1936-39 Yankees were better than either one of them, (a conclusion Epstein and Neyer also came to). And I think the integrated teams of future decades were better than them.

I don’t know who the greatest team ever was but I don’t believe it was the 1927 Yankees. I think they were viewed as such for so many years because that was the year Babe Ruth hit the most home runs he ever hit, so people assumed that was the franchise’s peak year. They certainly were dominant in that year but not in an unprecedented sense:: other teams had won more games and a higher percentage of them and won the pennant by more games. Their remarkable success in the World Series helped cement their reputation but I’ve always felt the regular season was a better measure of a team’s strength. I don’t think they were better than the Athletics of that era, who had the misfortune to get upset by the Cardinals in their peak year, rather than their initial year. I agree with Nack that they suffered from representing Philadelphia, rather than New York and for being less colorful than the Yankees. But they weren’t a worse team. In what sport does anybody think that the greatest team played in the 1920’s? And no matter how good a segregated team was, wouldn’t they have been better if they were integrated? I think I’d go with the ’63 Dodgers, the ’70 Orioles the ’75 Reds or the ’98 Yankees, but I’m not sure which one.

Sorry, Bill.

RUNS AND BASES

1925 National League

Runs Produced
Rogers Hornsby STL 237
Kiki Cuyler PIT 228
Pie Traynor PIT 214
Zack Wheat BRO 214
Jack Fournier BRO 207
Glenn Wright PIT 200
Jim Bottomley STL 199
Clyde Barnhart PIT 195
Eddie Brown BRO 182
Eddie Moore PIT 177

Bases Produced
Rogers Hornsby STL 469
Kiki Cuyler PIT 468
Jim Bottomley STL 408
Jack Fournier BRO 400
Zack Wheat BRO 381
Max Carey PIT 378
Pie Traynor PIT 341
Glenn Wright PIT 329
Edd Roush CIN 324
Eddie Moore PIT 318

1925 American League

Runs Produced
Al Simmons PHI 227
Harry Heilmann DET 218
Goose Goslin WAS 211
Bob Meusel NY 206
Sam Rice WAS 197
Earl Sheely CHI 195
George Sisler STL 193
Ty Cobb DET 187
Marty McManus STL 185
Johnny Mostil CHI 183

Bases Produced
Al Simmons PHI 434
Goose Goslin WAS 409
Bob Meusel NY 405
Harry Heilmann DET 388
Johnny Mostil CHI 388
Earle Combs NY 351
Sam Rice WAS 350
George Sisler STL 350
Marty McManus STL 346
Earl Sheely CHI 336

1926 National League

Runs Produced
Jim Bottomley STL 199
Kiki Cuyler PIT 197
Hack Wilson CHI 185
Billy Southworth STL 182
Rogers Hornsby STL 178
Hughie Critz CIN 172
Pie Traynor PIT 172
Paul Waner PIT 172
Les Bell STL 168
Edd Roush CIN 167

Bases Produced
Jim Bottomley STL 367
Kiki Cuyler PIT 367
Les Bell STL 364
Hack Wilson CHI 364
Paul Waner PIT 360
Curt Walker CIN 320
Sparky Adams CHI 313
Rogers Hornsby STL 308
Edd Roush CIN 306
Billy Southworth STL 299

1926 American League

Runs Produced
Babe Ruth NY 238
Lou Gehrig NY 231
George T. Burns CLE 207
Goose Goslin WAS 196
Bibb Falk CHI 186
Harry Heilmann DET 184
Al Simmons PHI 180
Tony Lazzeri NY 175
Tris Speaker CLE 175
Joe Sewell CLE 172

Bases Produced
Babe Ruth NY 520
Lou Gehrig NY 425
Johnny Mostil CHI 394
Al Simmons PHI 388
Goose Goslin WAS 379
Tris Speaker CLE 353
Sam Rice WAS 351
Bibb Falk CHI 345
Tony Lazzeri NY 342
Harry Heilmann DET 341

1927 National League

Runs Produced
Paul Waner PIT 236
Rogers Hornsby NY 232
Hack Wilson CHI 218
Bill Terry NY 202
Jim Bottomley STL 200
Pie Traynor PIT 194
Frankie Frisch STL 180
Freddie Lindstrom NY 176
Riggs Stephenson CHI 176
Glenn Wright PIT 174

Bases Produced
Rogers Hornsby STL 428
Paul Waner PIT 407
Hack Wilson CHI 403
Frankie Frisch STL 382
Jim Bottomley STL 374
Riggs Stephenson CHI 357
Bill Terry NY 354
George Harper NY 330
George Grantham PIT 324
Lloyd Waner PIT 309

1927 American League

Runs Produced
Lou Gehrig NY 277
Babe Ruth NY 262
Harry Heilmann DET 212
Bob Fothergill DET 198
Goose Goslin WAS 197
Earle Combs NY 195
Ty Cobb DET 192
Heine Manush DET 186
Al Simmons PHI 179
George Sisler SLB 179

Bases Produced
Lou Gehrig NY 566
Babe Ruth NY 561
Earle Combs NY 408
Harry Heilmann DET 394
Goose Goslin WAS 371
Tony Lazzeri NY 366
Bob Meusel NY 332
Bob Fothergill DET 328
Ty Cobb DET 325
Heinie Manush DET 321

1928 National League

Runs Produced
Jim Bottomley STL 228
Paul Waner PITT 222
Pie Traynor PIT 212
Freddie Lindstrom NY 192
Chick Hafey STL 185
Bill Terry NY 184
Frankie Frisch STL 183
Hack Wilson CHI 178
Lloyd Waner PIT 177
Rogers Hornsby BOS 172

Bases Produced
Jim Bottomley STL 443
Rogers Hornsby BOS 419
Paul Waner PIT 412
Del Bissonette BRO 394
Hack Wilson CHI 387
Bill Terry NY 365
Freddie Lindstrom NY 370
Taylor Douthit STL 336
Frankie Frisch STL 334
Lloyd Waner PIT 334

1928 American League

Runs Produced
Lou Gehrig NY 254
Babe Ruth NY 251
Heinie Manush SLB 199
Lu Blue SLB 182
Bob Meusel NY 179
Harry Heilmann DET 176
Charlie Gehringer DET 176
Al Simmons PHI 170
Fred Schulte STL 168
Joe Judge WAS 168

Bases Produced
Babe Ruth NY 521
Lou Gehrig NY 463
Heinie Manush SLB 422
Earle Combs NY 378
Lu Blue SLB 367
Charlie Gehringer DET 356
Harry Heilmann DET 347
Goose Goslin WAS 344
Sam Rice WAS 335
Joe Judge WAS 322

1929 National League

Runs Produced
Rogers Hornsby CHI 266
Hack Wilson CHI 255
Mel Ott NY 247
Lefty O’Doul PHI 242
Chuck Klein PHI 228
Jim Bottomley STL 216
Paul Waner PIT 216
Bill Terry NY 206
Lloyd Waner PIT 203
Pie Traynor PIT 198

Bases Produced
Rogers Hornsby CHI 498
Lefty O’Doul PHI 475
Mel Ott NY 465
Chuck Klein PHI 464
Hack Wilson CHI 436
Babe Herman, BRO 424
Paul Waner PIT 422
Don Hurst PHI 399
Jim Bottomley STL 391
Johnny Frederick BRO 387

1929 American League

Runs Produced
Al Simmons PHI 237
Babe Ruth NY 229
Charlie Gehringer DET 224
Dale Alexander DET 222
Lou Gehrig NY 218
Jimmie Foxx PHI 208
Mickey Cochrane PHI 201
Lew Fonseca CLE 194
Harry Heilmann DET 191
Tony Lazzeri NY 183

Bases Produced
Lou Gehrig NY 449
Jimmie Foxx PHI 435
Charlie Gehringer DET 428
Babe Ruth NY 425
Dale Alexander DET 424
Al Simmons PHI 408
Earl Averill CLE 397
Roy Johnson DET 391
Lu Blue STL 384
Tony Lazzeri NY 383

Ty Cobb’s career had now ended. He caught Honus Wagner in base production but not run production. Babe Ruth still has some good seasons coming but he’s not going to get 51 more run production ranking points: he has only 5 seasons left and the most you can get in that time is 50: he’ll probably get a little more than half of that. He might not even catch Cap Anson for third place. He needs 37 more points to catch Cobb in base production I don’t think he’ll quite do that. The real culprit is the five years he spent as a pitcher at the beginning of his career. He really had about 15 years as an everyday player while Wagner and Cobb and others had about 20. Ruth’s 1922 suspension and 1925 bellyache didn’t help, either.

Anson led in runs 5 times by a total of 57 runs. His biggest margin was 24. He led in bases twice by a total of 31 with a high of 27. His average margins of victory were 11 in runs and 16.5 in bases.

Wagner led in runs 10 times by a total of 156 (an average of 16) with the largest margin being 43 runs. He led in bases five times by a total margin of 188 (38) and a largest margin of 60

Cobb led in runs 7 times by a total of 225 (32) and as much as 49. He led in bases 8 times by a total of 390 (49)and as much as 100.

Ruth led in runs 4 times by a total of 64 (16) and as much as 55. He led in bases 7 times by a total of 760 (109) and as much as 1999. He had years where he led the American League in bases produced by 199, 135 and 147, levels of dominance Anson, Wagner and Cobb never reached.

Cumulative Run Production Rankings

Honus Wagner (1897-1917) 137
Ty Cobb (1905-1928) 126
Cap Anson (1871-1897) 119
Sam Crawford (1899-1917) 96
Rogers Hornsby (1915-1937) 89

Babe Ruth (1914-1935) 86
Tris Speaker (1907-1928) 81
Nap Lajoie (1896-1916) 77
King Kelly (1878-1893) 76
Hugh Duffy (1888-1906) 75

Eddie Collins (1906-1930) 74
Dan Brouthers (1879-1904) 73
Sherry Magee (1904-1919) 68
Bobby Veach (1912-1925) 66
Jim O’Rourke (1872-1904) 64

Ed Delahanty (1888-1903) 60
Harry Stovey (1880-1893) 57
Harry Heilmann (1914-1932) 57
Roger Connor (1880-1897) 55
Sam Thompson (1885-1906) 54

Frank Baker (1908-1922) 51
Ross Barnes (1871-1881) 49
Deacon White (1871-1890) 49
Cal McVey (1871-1879) 47
George Gore (1879-1892) 46

Cumulative Base Production Rankings

Ty Cobb (1905-1928) 129
Honus Wagner (1897-1917) 112
Tris Speaker(1907-1928) 110
Rogers Hornsby (1915-1937) 98
Babe Ruth(1914-35) 92

Cap Anson (1871-1897) 91
Billy Hamilton (1888-1901) 89
Eddie Collins (1906-1930) 89
Harry Stovey1880-1893) 88
Sam Crawford (1899-1917) 86

Dan Brouthers (1879-1904) 83
Ed Delahanty (1888-1903) 79
Jim O’Rourke (1872-1904) 73
Max Carey (1910-1929) 73
Roger Conner (1880-1897) 70

Sherry Magee (1904-1919) 66
Jesse Burkett (1890-1905) 63
Joe Jackson (1908-1920) 62
George Burns (1911-1925) 61
King Kelly (1878-1893) 57

Elmer Flick (1898-1910) 53
Hugh Duffy (1888-1906) 53
Ross Barnes(1871-1881) 50
George Sisler (1915-1930) 48
Napoleon Lajoie (1896-1916) 48

THE PLAYERS

I think you know a few things about LOU GEHRIG. You might not know all the details of his background. His mother had four children and Lou was the only one who survived past the age of 2. That was why his mother was so protective of him and that, in turn was why he was such a Mamma’s boy. It also made his death at the early age of 39 all the more tragic. She worked as a cleaning woman at a fraternity at Columbia University and it was her dream that Lou would go there. She was thus hugely disappointed when Lou opted for baseball.

The die was cast in 1920 when the City of Chicago challenged the best high school baseball team in New York to come and play their champions, Lane Tech, at Wrigley Field. The New York champion was Commerce High in Manhattan, for whom 17 year old Lou Gehrig was the first baseman. Before 10,000 spectators, Lou came to the plate with Commerce leading 8-6 in the top of the 9th and the bases loaded. He hit the first pitch over the right-field wall and out of sight. A grand slam, and a monumental one at that. The next day, an article in the Chicago Tribune’ssports section read: “Gehrig’s blow would have made any big leaguer proud, yet it was walloped by a boy who hasn’t yet started to shave.”The New York Daily News reported that “the bright star of the inter-city game was ‘Babe’ Gehrig.” It may have been the first time that sportswriters compared Lou to the Babe, but it certainly wouldn’t be the last.” (from SABR’s bio).

Lou was contacted by Arthur Irwin, a scout for the Giants, who said John McGraw had seen him play and wanted him to try out for the Giants. This was great news for Lou who, “as a boy, Lou was a fan of the Giants, and he attended games at the Polo Grounds whenever he could save up the 25 cents needed for a left-field bleacher seat. “ It turned out McGraw had never seen him play and when the nervous Lou misplayed a couple of grounders at first, “The Little Napoleon” bellowed, “Get this fellow out of here! I’ve got enough lousy players without another one showing up.” This despite the 6 home runs Lou hit in six pitches. John McGraw didn’t think much of “outside baseball” and thus lost the chance to have Lou Gehrig play first base for him.

Instead, Lou went to Columbia on, not a baseball but a football scholarship, which greatly pleased his mother. But Irwin got him a summer job playing in the Eastern League under the pseudonyms “Lefty Gehrig” or “Lou Lewis”, (“Lefty Gehrig”: can’t they do better than that?) This not only served to disguise his baseball playing from his mother but also from the college. When he was found out, Columbia coach Andy Coakley “contacted the coaches of all of Columbia’s biggest rivals (Dartmouth, Cornell, Amherst, and Middlebury) and asked each of them for special dispensation for what he called Gehrig’s “innocent mistake.” The coaches agreed not to expel Gehrig, but merely to suspend him for one year.” It was a different era.

Lou hit .444 and slugged .937 for Columbia, hitting 7 home runs, one of which wound up in the woods at Cornell. He was also the team’s best pitcher, once striking out 17 batters. Paul Kritchell, a scout for the Yankees, spotted him , who wondered if he was a good hitter as well as a pitcher. Coakley assured Kritchell that he was. Kritchell saw him hit two long home runs and called Yankee’s GM Ed Barrow, telling him that he’d found “Another Babe Ruth”. Barrow offered him a signing bonus of $1500 and a salary of $400/mth. That was like a fortune to the Gehrigs and Lou left college to become a Yankee.

He was assigned to Hartford, where he hit 24 home runs in only 59 games. Miller Huggins wanted to put him on the Yankee’s roster for the World Series but needed special permission form Commissioner Landis due to the late call-up and Landis refused, at least in part because John McGraw, who had dismissed Gehrig as a “lousy ball-player” strenuously objected to having to play against his team. No matter. The Yankees won their first World Series anyway.

He was back in Harford the next year, hitting .369 with 37 home runs. The Yankees “couldn’t find him a position” because they already had a fine first baseman, Wally Pipp, whom the great expectations for Gehrig weren’t enough to dislodge. Gehrig stayed with the big club long enough to get in a feud with Ty Cobb, which resulted in a confrontation in the walkway to clubhouse. Gehrig took a swing at Cobb, who side-stepped it, allowing the Iron Horse to fall forward and onto the concrete floor of the walkway. When Lou woke up, he asked “Did I win?”

Pipp had been the starter for a decade and was only 32. In 1924 he’d driven in 114 runs. He’s twice led the American league in home runs, (in 1916-17 with 12 and 9, respectively) . He also led in triples with 19 in 1924. He’d played first base for three straight pennants winners and a World Series champion in 1921-23. His job would not normally have been in jeopardy but the man who would become the greatest player ever to play the position was right behind him. The transition was simpler than legend would have it: Pipp got off to a bad start at the plate in 1925 and Huggins decided to insert Gehrig into the line-up to see what he could do. It was already expected that he would supplant Pipp at some point. He played better than Pipp and kept the job- for 14 years. Later that year, Pipp, by now a utility player, was beaned and spent two weeks in the hospital. This somehow morphed into a story of Pipp wanting out of a game due to a headache, thus giving Gehrig his chance. Interestingly, that story never appeared, at least in print, until 1941 New York Times article, the day after Lou died. Lou Gehrig may have never heard the “headache” story in his lifetime.

I’ve always felt that the attention given to Gehrig’s famous consecutive games streak and his tragic illness obscured what a great player he was. He batted .340 lifetime and, per 162 games had 40 doubles, 12 triples and 37 home runs. (Ted Williams was .344, 37-5-37). He was also baseball’s greatest RBI man and run producer. He’s the only man ever to produce 300 runs in a season, (302, in 1931). He led in RBIs five times with astronomical totals: 173, 147, 173, 185, 166. Of course he had Babe Ruth with his equally astronomical on base percent5ages batting ahead of him. But he also had the Babe clearing the bases ahead of him. And he didn’t have the Babe behind him year led the league in runs scored four times, also with astronomical totals: 163, 138, 125, 167. “He also holds the baseball record for most seasons with 400 total bases or more, accomplishing this feat five times in his career.” He was a clutch hitter, hitting a record 23 grand slams in his career, (recently surpassed by Alex Rodriguez), and scoring the winning run in no less than 8 World Series games. Bill James says Gehrig drove in 874 runs with his 493 home runs, the highest ratio of any slugger with more than 300 career home runs. Then there was the day in 1932 when he hit four home runs against the Athletics- only to be upstaged by John McGraw, who announced his retirement the same day.

Lou was a line-drive hitter who, like the Babe, batted from the left side of the plate in Yankee stadium. He may have taken greater advantage of the short fence down the right field line. But the difference between his home and road round-trippers is small: 251-242. Bill Jenkinson lists him as the #22 power hitter of all time, saying “Gehrig assembled his impressive tape measure resume despite normally striking the ball on a trajectory that was too low to achieve optimum distance.” He credits Gehrig with a 510 foot home run in Comiskey Park in 1929 and a 500 footer in Detroit in 1931 that “landed on a roof across the street. But he considers his hardest shot to have been a 485 foot triple “off a screen in dead center” at Yankee Stadium in 1929.

Lou shied away from celebrity but he loved westerns. In between the 1937 and 1938 season, he went out to Hollywood to make one:
Who did he think he was? Gary Cooper? (And who the heck is Smith Ballew?!?)

But every great player needs a number of his own to define him, or so it seems. You know who 714 and 60 are. You know who 56 is. You know who .406 is. What’s interesting is that only one of those is a record now. Even 2,130 isn’t a record any more. It’s the player who makes the number more than the number who makes the player. 714 and 60 are famous numbers because Babe Ruth did them. If Jimmie Foxx of Hank Greenberg had accumulated those totals, it wouldn’t have meant the same thing. If Tommy Holmes had hit in 56 straight games and Joe DiMaggio in 37 straight, (as Holmes did), Joe DiMaggio would still be Joe DiMaggio and Tommy Holmes would still be Tommy Homes. Lou Gehrig played in 2,130 consecutive games. Everett Scott, who played with the Yankees at shortstop from 1922-25, held the old record with 1,307 consecutive games. He isn’t 2/3 as famous as Lou Gehrig. The streak is famous because Lou Gehrig did it, not the other way around.

It’s still an accomplishment, although Babe Ruth didn’t think much of it. “The Iron Man stuff is just baloney The guy ought to sit on a bench and rest. They’re not going to pay off on how many games he’s played in a row. When his legs go, they’ll go in a hurry.” Little did he know…The streak was in jeopardy several times:

4/23/33 He was beaned in a game against the Senators but stayed in the game.

6/24/33 He was ejected from a game but had already batted so it counted as a game played.

June 1934: he was beaned again but was in the line-up the next day.

7/13/34 He was carried off the field with an attack of “lumbago”. They were on the road and the next day he batted in the first inning and was replaced before he had to take the field.

There was another game, (no date is given by Wikipedia, so it’s not certain actually happened), which was “rained out” even though there was no rain, because Lou had the flu.

There are those who assert that Lou was already having symptoms of ALS when he had his “lumbago” attack in 1934. Most relate it to a decline in performance in 1937-38. But, per Wikipedia, ”Lou Gehrig starred in the 1938 20th Century Fox movie Rawhide playing himself in his only feature film appearance. In 2006, researchers presented a paper to the American Academy of Neurology, reporting on an analysis of Rawhide and photographs of Lou Gehrig from the 1937–1939 period, to ascertain when Gehrig began to show visible symptoms of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. They concluded that while atrophy of hand muscles could be detected in 1939 photographs of Gehrig, no such abnormality was visible at the time Rawhide was made in January 1938. "Examination of Rawhide showed that Gehrig functioned normally in January 1938", the report concluded.”

Per Baseball Reference.com: “A recently published article in a medical journal suggests that perhaps Lou Gehrig did not suffer from "Lou Gehrig's Disease" after all. While it is impossible to perform a proper post-mortem analysis of the body (as it was cremated), some scientists now speculate that he suffered a form of progressive brain injury called Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy. This would result from multiple concussions suffered when Gehrig played football in college, and also from being hit by baseballs. The symptoms of the disease mimic those of ALS, and the condition is mostly seen in pro football players, who suffer multiple concussions during their careers.“ Those beanings- and maybe Lou’s insistence at keeping the streak going-may have caused or accelerated his condition. Or maybe he should never have taken a swing at Ty Cobb.

Other members of “Murder’s Row”: BOB MEUSEL was Gehrig before Gehrig. “Long Bob”, (he was 6-3, 190), alternated playing left and right field with Babe Ruth. Ruth was the normal right fielder but didn’t like to play in the sun so Meusel switched with him when it got bad. He had “by acclamation, the best throwing arm of his generation”. (James) But ti was his hitting that made him part of Murder’s Row. He hit .309 for an 11 year career, the first ten with the Yankees. =, with the high of .337 in 1927. He could hit home runs: 24 in 1921 and 33 in 1925, which led the league, (with Ruth out with his “bellyache”). He had 135 RBIs in 1921, 120 in 1924 and 138 in 1925. It’s interesting that his home runs declined to 12 in 1926 and only 9 in 1927. Ruth was back and Gehrig was coming on. It wasn’t necessary for Meusel to swing for the fence: hitting home runs was a role in his day. Bob was quiet, almost monosyllabic and had a perpetually blank look on his face. He wasn’t popular with writers who didn’t like his unquotability or fans who thought he was lazy because he didn’t show emotion. But he was a heck of a player.

EARLE COMBS was the third man in the outfield for the Yankees. Bill James lists Bob Meusel as having the best outfield throwing arm of the era, and Coombs as having the worst. Combs also lacked Meusel’s power. But he could hit for average and had lots of speed. He hit .325 lifetime and three times had more than 20 triples. Steals were going out of fashion and he only had 98 of those in his career.SABR: “At Louisville he had been called "The Mail Carrier" because of his base stealing and speed. Huggins, however, told Combs not to worry about stealing bases but as a leadoff man to wait out the pitcher, get on base any way he could, and let the big guns in the lineup, like Ruth, drive him in.” He scored 125 runs a year from 1925-32. He led the league with 231 hits in 1927 while batting .356, his career high. He hit .350 in four World Series.

He left the opposite impression of Meusel. Sportswriter’s loved him and couldn’t stop talking about what a gentleman he was. Miller Huggins said "If you had men like Combs on your ballclub, you could go to bed every night and sleep like a baby." Joe McCarthy said They wouldn't pay baseball managers much of a salary if they all presented as few problems as did Earle Combs."

Combs suffered a serious accident in July 1934. On a 100+-degree day at St. Louis' Sportsman's Park, he crashed into the outfield wall going for a fly ball, sustaining a fractured skull, a broken shoulder and a damaged knee. He was reportedly near death for several days, and was hospitalized for more than two months.” (Wikipedia) Somehow, he came back the next year but broke his collarbone, ending his career. The next year the Yankees brought up some kid named DiMaggio to replace him.

A trivia question: Who was the first professional baseball player to hit 60 home runs. Hint: he played for the 1927 Yankees. The answer is….TONY LAZZERI, the guy whom Grover Cleveland Alexander famously struck out in the 1926 series. He did it for Salt Lake City in 1925. The Pacific Coast League played over 200 games in those days and Tony played in 197. He only had 225 RBIs.

He never got close to that in the majors, where his high was 18, (which he achieved four times). That’s still pretty good for a middle infielder in an era where only selected players swung for the fences. He had over 100 RBIs seven times, with a high of 121 in 1930. Of course it was an era of high RBI totals and they were even higher if you played for the Yankees. Tony batted .292 lifetime, a number that was pretty close to the league average much of the time in his era. He walked a lot, (up to 97 times) and had a lifetime .380 on base percentage.

His nickname “Push Em Up” was a cheer from Italian fans who wanted him to hit home runs. Like DiMaggio, he was from San Francisco. "(Tony) not only was a great ballplayer, he was a great man. He was a leader. He was like a manager on the field." (Yankee teammate, shortstop Frankie Crosetti).He was known to be an epileptic during his career and he always feared having an attack on the field. . "As long as he doesn't take fits between three and six in the afternoon, that's good enough for me," said Ed Barrow. He may have had an attack when he fell down the stairs at his home and broke his neck at the age of 42.

JIMMIE FOXX was Philadelphia’s answer to Babe Ruth. There was a physical resemblance, although Jimmie was smaller (6-0 195) and a dozen years younger. Both came from Maryland, although Jimmy was a farmboy, Babe a street urchin in the city. Both could hit the ball a mile and did so frequently. Foxx’s best years (.364ba 58hr 169rbi 151rs, .356-48-163-125, .349-50-175-139), look like Ruth’s best years. He even pitched some- and well (a 1.52 ERA over 23 2/3 innings). But he was also their answer to Lou Gehrig, being Gehrig’s main rival for the title of all-time first baseman. Bill James: “His best seasons are comparable to Gehrig’s and even Ruth’s and it is only by careful analysis that one can be sure that he was not, indeed, the greatest first baseman who ever lived.”

Bill Jenkinson rated him second behind Babe Ruth as the game all-time long ball hitter, (Mickey Mantle, who was often compared to Foxx, was #3). “Jimmie Foxx looked like a Greek god and hit baseballs with the force of Zeus hurling thunderbolts from Mount Olympus.” Lefty Gomez said that Foxx has muscles in his hair”. He was signed by Home Run Baker for the Easton team of the Eastern State League, which Baker was managing. Foxx hit .296 with 10 home runs in 76 games. He hit two tremendous home runs in a playoff game, including one past a center field flag poll that was the longest home run that was ever seen in Easton. He was all of 16 years old at the time. He was a “Babe”, even if no one called him that.

Baker contacted both the Yankees, (the last team he’d played for) and Connie Mack about Foxx. Mack signed him for the A’s, (the Yankees could have had both Jimmie Foxx and Hank Greenberg but passed because they already had Lou Gehrig). Foxx bounced back and forth between the Philadelphia and Providence of the International League, with home Mack had a working agreement. When in Philly, he often sat next to Mack, who taught him the finer points of the game. Foxx didn’t hit his first big league home run until 1927. He hit 3 of them that year and 13 the next. By 1929 he was a regular and burst into stardom hitting 30+ home runs for the next dozen years in a row. He had 100+ RBIs each of those years and 100+ runs scored all but one. When he retired he had 534 home runs, second only to Ruth. He retained that spot in the standings until Willie Mays passed him in 1966.

He hit 24 shots over the left field roof at Shibe Park, each of which, per Jenkinson, had to be a minimum of 450 feet. He hit another 29 that landed on the grandstand roof. Up to that time. Ruth was the only batter to reach that roof. On opening day 1932, he faced Ruth, who hit two 480 footers . But Foxx hit one off Lefty Gomez that cleared the center field wall. It went 505 feet, the first 500 foot home run to center field not authored by Ruth. Foxx got Gomez again in Yankee Stadium on June 25, breaking a seat in the upper deck on left field with a drive that Jenkinson grades as a 515 footer. Gomez went to the seat after the game and confirmed it was broken. Thirty seven years later Gomez was watching the Moon landing with his wife. One of the astronaut picked up a small white rock. Lefty said “That’s the home run Foxx hit off me in ’32.”

1932 was the year Jimmie hit 58 home runs. New screens in Cleveland and St. Louis had been put up since Ruth hit 60 home runs in 1927. There have been estimates that Foxx hit as many as a dozen shots that hit those screens and would have been home runs in 1927. Jenkinson was able to confirm only one. Wikipedia says Foxx actually hit 60 homers that year but two were erased by rain-outs. All of Foxx’s top ten home runs, as listed by Jenkinson, went at least 505 feet with the longest a 530 footer in Comiskey in 1936 “over the left field roof to court across the street).

And Foxx wasn’t just a power hitter. In 1936 he took on Wally Moses, the supposed fastest man in the American League, in a pre-game race over yards and the result was a dead heat. Foxx was a catcher as well as a first baseman but rarely got to show his skills there in Philadelphia due to Mickey Cochrane. Joe Cronin, his manager in Boston, called him “the best receiver in the American League”. But Jenikinson also reports that Foxx played under a handicap that was hidden from the press. He was beaned in a 1934 exhibition game and X-rays showed a skull fracture that dated back to 1928. Foxx often complained about what he called “sinus troubles” with severe nose bleeds and blurred vision.

Foxx was the youngest player to reach 500 home runs until Alex Rodriguez and people assumed he’d make a run at Babe Ruth. Ted Williams, his teammate in the Boston years, said that was his problem. “He theorized Jimmie’s affection for Babe Ruth may have inadvertently led to his premature decline. According to Ted, Foxx felt that he had to emulate the Babe in every way. That included drinking and partying, which was not a good way to prolong anybody’s career….Combined with the serious head injury, Foxx poor habits led to a rapid downward spiral after the 1940 season.” The alcohol may also have been a form of self-medication for his ‘sinus’ problems. The war actually extended his career as he was given a chance because of the dearth of talent in major leagues at the time. Again, emulating Ruth, he his last two home runs at Forbes Field, both well over 400 feet.

After his playing career he had problems with finances and alcohol and held many jobs, including, at one time the manager of a women’s baseball team. Tom Hanks’ character in “A League of Their Own” is obviously based on Foxx. He died at the age of 59 in 1967, choking to death on some food a year after his wife suffered the same fate.

Foxx had been a mentor to Ted Williams in their years together in Boston. Williams said of Foxx, "You just can't imagine how far he could hit a baseball."

X is the first
Of two x's in Foxx
Who was right behind Ruth
With his powerful soxx.
- Ogden Nash, “Line Up for Yesterday”

The Athletics other big gun was AL SIMMONS. These days I tend to think of him as Gehrig to Foxx’s Ruth but it was Simmons that was the outfielder and he established himself before Foxx did, being 5 years older. Simmons didn’t have the raw power of Foxx but had enough power to hit as many as 36 home runs in a season. He also hit tons of doubles, (as many as 53 in a season). and triples, (as many as 16). But it was the averages he hit for that stand out. He hit .387 and had 253 hits in 1925, .392 two years later and then won consecutive batting titles in 1930-31 with .381 and .390 averages. He hit .334 lifetime. In that 1930 season he had 165 RBIs and 152 runs scored.

He was called “Bucketfoot” because he stuck his left foot out toward the third base line before bringing it in with the approach of a pitch, much as Brian Downing did years later when he played for the Angels. Lefty Grove called him “a great defensive outfielder” and Joe Cronin said “He was great all-around, running, fielding, and throwing, as well as hitting and as a competitor. There never was a greater left fielder in going to the line and holding a double to a single. He’d even dare you to make the wide turn at first on a ball hit to his right.”

He was something of a crab apple. Writer Donald Honig wrote: “Simmons was a testy character who was called ‘a swashbuckling pirate of a man’ by one contemporary. King of his league’s right-handed hitters for a decade, he was an elitist who bullied rookies, manifested a chilly disdain for lesser mortals, George Case, after a long drinking session with Simmons, reported: “Simmons went on to describe the rough time he had as a boy, how poor his family was, and how hard he had to work when he was a young boy. After that, the two men became close friends and Simmons gave Case a lot of good advice and encouragement. As Case recalled, “He turned out to be, under that gruff exterior, a very kindly and thoughtful man.”

Per SABR: “Late in his playing career, Simmons set a goal of obtaining 3,000 base hits. He came up 73 hits short. He bemoaned the times he had begged off playing to nurse a hangover or left a one-sided game early for a quick shower and a night on the town. Proud of his Polish ancestry, Simmons as a veteran coach imparted his unachieved goal to another Polish-American. “Never relax on any at-bat; never miss a game you can play,” he advised a young Stan Musial.”

Simmons image has faded over the decades . Honig described him as “becoming a statue in a dark and unvisited basement.”

The big guns of the Yankees and Athletics, pictured together:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Foxx#mediaviewer/File:FoxxRuthGehrigCochrane.jpg
It must have been something to see those bats in action, all in the same game.

John McGraw finally came around to the notion that hitting the ball over the fence from time to time might be a good idea. His team played in a ballpark, (the Polo Grounds) shaped like a bathtub if the drain were home plate. To hit lots of home runs there you either had to be Babe Ruth or a dead pull hitter. In 1925 a 16 year old named MEL OTT was playing for a semi-pro team in Louisiana. The team was owned by a millionaire named Harry Williams who stopped in New York on his way to a European vacation and told John McGraw that Ott was a good prospect. Williams sent Ott a postcard telling him to come to New York for a try-out. Ott thought it was a joke. When an annoyed Williams found that Ott was still in New Orleans when he came back, he sent Ott a train ticket. McGraw took one look at Ott driving the ball down the line in the Polo grounds, he gave him a contract. Mel had just turned 17 and was only 5-7 and weighed 150 pounds. But McGraw kept him with the big club. He didn’t want any minor league manager “straightening out” his swing. He sat Mel next to him on the bench throughout the 1927 season, explaining all the finer points of the game to him. He even forbade Mel from socializing with the veteran players, who might advise him to change his swing.

Mel got some chances to play in the latter part of the season and nit .383 but with no home runs in 61 at bats. The next year he got 180 at bats, hit only .282 but hit his first home run. McGraw finally inserted him into the starting line-up for the 1928 season. Still a teenager, he hit .322 with 18 home runs in 500 at bats. The next year he broke out as a major slugging star, hitting .328 with a league-leading 42 home runs. He never hit 40 again but hit 30 homers seven more times. He took advantage of the short distances down the lines to hit 323 home runs in the Polo Grounds, the most by one player in a single stadium. He hit more home runs in the city of New York than any other player. His lifetime total of 511 home runs was the National League record until Willie Mays passed him in 1966.

Mel was also a fine all-around player. He hit .304 lifetime and led the National League in walks five times. He had over 100 walks ten times and had a lifetime on base percentage of .414, (Tony Gwynn’s was .388). He had a huge advantage in hitting home runs playing in the Polo Grounds but Bill James points out “The Polo Grounds was a great home run park but the hitting characteristics of the park in other respects were pitcher-friendly. Ott, had he played in another Park, would have had 100 fewer home runs, (he hit 188 on the road which would translate to about 376 if he had an average home park- still impressive), but his overall stats would have been as good or perhaps better than they are. He is not an over-rated player.” Like Al Simmons, Mel was famous for his unusual batting style, in his case his habit of raising his front foot into the air as he prepared to swing at a pitch. The famous Japanese slugger, Sadaharu Oh, did the same thing.

Mel was noted as an excellent fielder as well as a great hitter. SABR: “In addition to his emergence as a great hitter, Ott gained recognition as a premier right fielder. In 1929 he participated in 12 double plays, a record for outfielders that still stands 75 years later. Expertly playing caroms off the tricky right field wall at the Polo Grounds, he had an impressive 26 outfield assists. He never again attained so many, because baserunners learned to advance very cautiously on balls hit to the rifle-armed Ott.” Pitcher Kirby Higbe said he never saw Mel Ott make a mistake in the field. Pie Traynor said he was the best player in the National League. “My logic is simple. The best players are those who win the most games and I can’t name a player who has exerted as strong an influence upon so many games.

Leo Durocher was famous to saying of Ott “Nice guys finish last.” He later insisted he’d said that Ott was a nice guy who is going to finish last because of his ballclub, (Ott became the Giants manager in 1942). But he also said of Ott: “I never knew a baseball player who was so universally loved. Why, even when he was playing against (us) he would be cheered and there are no more rabid fans than in Brooklyn." Ott himself said: “I could watch the fans yelling and laughing and I'd think, 'What an ungrateful fellow a ballplayer would be who just didn't give everything he had every moment of every inning in every game.'" Ott went into broadcasting after his playing career and seemed like a natural at it. But he was killed in an auto accident in 1958 when another driver lost track of the driving lane in a fog and hit his car head-on.

Ott’s teammate for many years was BILL TERRY. McGraw urged Terry to try to pull the ball like Ott. But Terry had the opposite personality of Ott’s, which meant he was too much like McGraw. They were the same ends of the magnet which could not come together. Terry insisted on spraying the ball wherever it was pitched. He was a much bigger guy that Ott, 6-1 200, but he hit 154 home runs rather than 511. But when he wasn’t hitting home runs he was hitting plenty of singles, doubles and triples, enough to hit .341 lifetime and .401 in 1930, the last National league .400 hitter. He had 254 hits that year. He was considered a superior defensive first baseman and comparisons have been made to Don Mattingly and Keith Hernandez. He succeeded McGraw as the Giants manager and won the World Series in his first year, (1933) and won two more pennants in 1936-37. Then Ott succeeded him in 1942.

Bill James: “Terry was a cold, sarcastic man.Hhe had a lot of dignity, a very strong presence and a great deal of self-discipline. He was loyal to his friend. He was intelligent. He was a sharp dresser. He was focused, goal-oriented. When he lost or when his team lost, he always stepped forward to shoulder the blame. But he was impatient, distrustful and he didn’t project any warmth, except to people he had known along time.” But he finished first!

A forgotten team from the era was the Pittsburgh Pirates, who enjoyed their best run since the heyday of Honus Wagner, winning pennants in 1925 and 1927 and the ’25 World Series. People remember them for getting swept by the 1927 Yankees. “Legend has it that prior to Game One the young Pirates stood in front of their dugout mesmerized as Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig sent one towering drive after another out of the park. Traynor always asserted that was bunk. "It's just not true. We finished our batting practice and immediately went in for a clubhouse meeting." Funny thing, those awestuck Pirates only lost the that first game 4-5. They also lost the last one by only 3-4.

The most famous players on the Pirates were the brother, PAUL and LLOYD WANER, known as “Big Poison” and “Little Poison”. Neither was very big: Paul was 5-8 and 153, Lloyd was 5-9, 150. Both hit for high averages and extra base power but not home run power. Paul hit .333 lifetime and .380 for that 1927 team. With 131 RBIs on only 9 home runs. But he had as many as 62 doubles in a season and 22 triples. He once set a major league record with extra base hits in 14 straight games: that’s still the record although Chipper Jones tied it. Lloyd didn’t nearly as many doubles but had a 20 triple season and was considered perhaps the best fielding center fielder of the era. He hit .316 lifetime. Supposedly, their nicknames originated with New York fans pronunciation of their original nicknames, “Big Person” and “Little Person”.

They were both little ball players with big bats. In that 1927 series, Ruth and Gehrig got 10 hits in four games. Paul and Lloyd had 11. Unfortunately the Babe and Lou hit two homes each and drove in 11 runs, scoring 6. The Waners drove in 3 and scored 5. Babe said of the Waners: "Why, they're no bigger than a couple of little kids. If I was that size, I would be afraid of getting hurt." ... "We had just gone through as tough a pennant race as you could image...and we were worn to a bone," recalled Traynor. He claimed that he was down to 150 pounds (from his normal playing weight of 170), while Paul and Lloyd Waner had shriveled to 125 and 127 pounds, respectively.” (SABR)

Paul was a famous baseball drunk. Joe Tronzo, the sports editor at The News-Tribune in Beaver Falls, PA, commented that "Paul Waner, when he was sober, was the best right fielder the Pirates ever had. The second best right fielder the Pirates ever had was Paul Waner when he was drunk." (Baseball Referecne.com). Casey Stengel said "He had to be a very graceful player, because he could slide without breaking the bottle on his hip." In 1940, Frankie Frisch was the Pirates manager and found a whiskey bottle in the clubhouse. He asked Waner if it was his. “Does it have anything in it?” Waner asked. “It’s half full” replied Frisch. Well it can’t be mine”, Waner replied. “If it was it would be empty.”

“Waner was also near-sighted, a fact that Pirate management only learned late in his career when he remarked that he had difficulty reading the ads posted on the outfield walls. Fitting him with glasses, however, only interfered with his hitting, as Waner now had to contend with a small spinning projectile rather than the fuzzy grapefruit-sized object he had been hitting before.”

The Waners were from Oklahoma but Paul played for the San Francisco Seals for three years before coming to Pittsburgh. “A scout for the New York Giants told Giants manager John McGraw, "That little punk don't even know how to put on a uniform." After the Giants and Pirates squared off for the first time in the 1926 season, McGraw is said to have told the scout, "That little punk don't even know how to put on a uniform but he's removed three of my pitchers with line drives this week. I'm glad you did not scout Christy Mathewson." Waner hit .401 with 75 doubles, (in 174 games) in his last year with the Seals.

Paul said of Lloyd: "He is a better player than me and can spot me 25 feet and then beat me in a sprint. A batter's got to knock a fly over the fence to keep him from reaching it, and he doesn't miss 'em either." Lloyd was famous for being one of the toughest players to strike out. He struck out 23 times in 683 plate appearances as a rookie. It was the most strike-outs he ever had. Bill James made his own retroactive Glove Glove awards and gave 8 of them to Lloyd Waner. But he also listed Waner as one of ten Hall of Famers who doesn’t belong there. “There has always been a rumor that Lloyd Waner was elected to the Hall of Fame in 1967 because somebody made a mistake and gave the Veteran’s Committee the statistics of his brother Paul. I don’t know if this is true or not but I maintain it probably isn’t. If it was, it would be the only time in history that the Veteran’s Committee paid any attention to the statistical evidence.“ Jeez, what a grouch!

The man Lloyd Waner replaced in center field for the Pirates was Hazan “KiKi” Cuyler. The nickname is pronounced “Kye Kye” to rhyme with the last name, (not “Key-Key”). His nickname came from the fact that he was a stutterer. But he loved to sing and would do it anywhere, including the locker room and showers. “Many times people who stutter will develop a fondness for singing because they don’t stutter in song.” (See “The King’s Speech”.)

Cuyler was a five tool player whom many compared to Ty Cobb when he first came up. For the 1925 champs, he hit .357 with 220 hits, 43 doubles, 26 tripels, 18 home runs, 41 steals, 102 RBIs and 144 runs scored. “He is fast as a flash and ahs a greta throwing arm”. But he couldn’t get along with manage Donie Bush and was benched in favor of Little Poison, the traded to Chicago. The Cubs put him in front of Hack Wilson . In Wilson’s big year of 1930, Kiki hit .355 with 50 doubles, 17 triples , 13 homers with 37 steals, drove in 137 runs and scored 155. He hit .321 lifetime.

By 1940 Cuyler was managing in the minor leagues. His son Harold wanted to be a ballplayer. Kiki knew Harold wasn’t good enough but the kid wouldn’t be dissuaded. Cuyler said “Look son, I had to leave the major leagues because my legs have gone back on me and that’s why I’m through as a player. But I’ll race you a hundred yards. If you beat em, I’ll say it’s all right for you to go ahead. If I beat you, you’ll give it up.” Hazan beat Harold by 15 yards.” Talent isn’t always hereditary.

Until Brooks Robinson dazzled people in the 1960’s, PIE TRAYNOR was considered the greatest third baseman of all time. Many continued to do so for years afterwards, (especially Ralph Kiner whenever somebody claimed that title for Mike Schmidt). Bill James has done some research on this and can’t find any reference to Traynor being the best ever third baseman until the mid-50’s, two decades after Traynor’s career ended. The traditional choice before that was Jimmy Collins. Why did Traynor’s reputation suddenly inflate two decades after he stopped playing? Possibly because he went into broadcasting. It was on local TV but he became so popular in Pittsburgh he was called ‘Mr. Pittsburgh’.

“On June 19, 1972, Roberto Clemente passed Traynor for second place on the Pirates' all-time RBI list, but refused to acknowledge the standing ovation. "The man whose record I broke was a great ballplayer, a great fellow. And he just died here a few months ago. That's why I didn't even tip my cap."

"I just couldn't believe it when I heard that Pie died. I just couldn't believe it," said Willie Stargell. Third baseman Rich Hebner took Traynor's passing especially hard. "I guess Pie took a liking to me because I came from Massachusetts and so did he. I used to enjoy listening to his stories." Not only did Hebner and Traynor share the same home state and the same position, but Hebner also wore Traynor's uniform number 20. "I told Pie they should have retired his number...the guy would have gotten a kick out of that...but he seemed to want me to wear it.” Former teammates loved him: "It's a big shock," remarked Max Carey. "Pie Traynor was not only a great ballplayer, he was a great human being. He was a superstar before anybody knew what a superstar was." "When I heard tonight that he had died it kinda made me feel like crying," admitted Lloyd Waner. (SABR) Pie got his nickname from his dessert preference as a child.

Traynor’s reputation rested primarily on his defense. “He was six feet tall, which was large for a third baseman of his era, but very agile. He was brilliant at charging bunts and weakly hit ground balls, and had a knack for moving quickly to his right and making backhanded stops. "Pie had the quickest hands, the quickest arm of any third baseman," said former teammate Charlie Grimm. "And from any angle he threw strikes." The Cubs' Billy Herman agreed. "Most marvelous pair of hands you'd ever want to see." To columnist Red Smith, watching Traynor play third was "like looking over DaVinci's shoulder."

But there were dissenters, especially Dick Bartell, who disliked Traynor. “His biggest defensive flaw was his arm--extremely strong, but often wild; but he learned how to compensate, according to Herman. "You'd hit a shot at him, a play that he could take his time on, and he'd catch it and throw it right quick, so that if his peg was wild, the first baseman had time to get off the bag, take the throw, and get back on again. It was the only way Traynor could throw; if he took his time, he was really wild." Bartell “said Traynor's quick throws on even the most routine plays caused some problems that most people wouldn't recognize. "The first baseman had to play close enough to the bag so he'd be there when the throw arrived; as soon as Pie got the ball he'd be throwing it. That forced the first baseman to play closer to first, cutting down his range. Things like that don't show up in the fielding stats." Bartell also noted that Traynor's great range sometimes caused problems for a shortstop. "A ball would be hit to me at short. As I came in to field it, Pie would cut across in front of me, trying to get it. Usually he would miss it, but as he crossed in front of me I'd lose sight of it. I was charged with plenty of errors that way...Those were routine plays for me and most of the time he couldn't come close to making them."

Traynor’s batting record is strong. He hit .320 lifetime. Like his teammates, he didn’t hit a lot of home runs, (12 in his best season) but used the large dimensions of the Forbes Field outfield to accumulate lots of extra-base hits, especially triples, (as many as 19 in one year). And, with the Waners batting in front of him, he got plenty of RBIs: over 100 seven times. James complains he didn’t walk a lot, which is ironic because he loved walking- to the ballpark. He loved walking so much he never learned to drive. He once walked 127 blocks from his hotel to Yankee Stadium for a World Series game.

The other franchise making a big move in the late 20’s was the St. Louis Cardinals. It had been a long time since the glory days of this franchise as the Browns in the 1880’s. Between their last pennant in 1888 until their next one in 1926, they had only 11 winning seasons. Branch Rickey became team President and Manager in 1920. Owner Sam Beardon fired him as manager in 1925 but asked him to stay on in the front officer because he had a talent for player development. He basically invented the job of General Manger. He decided that the under-funded Cardinals could do better if they bought minor league ball-clubs so they could own their players rather than negotiating with them for their contracts in a free market. They could also control the development of the players and move them up or down the system based on their performance and development. The Cardinals won 9 pennants and 6 World Series from 1926-1946 thanks to Rickey’s farm system and have been one of the most successful franchises in sports ever since.

The farm system began in 1920 when Rickey “bought 18% of Texas League's Houston Buffaloes and then acquired working control of Ft. Smith of the Western Association. In 1921, they purchased the Syracuse Stars of the International League. “ The Syracuse Stars thus became the top team of this first ever farm system. The first big star who emerged from this system was JIM BOTTOMLEY.

Jim was a jaunty-looking first baseman who wore his cap sideways. In 1922, for the Stars, he hit .348 with 29 doubles, 15 triples, 14 homers and 13 steals in 119 games. He drove in 94 runs and scored 78. That got him promoted to the Cardinals. There he hit .325 in 37 games. In 1924 he exploded to .371 but with only 8 home runs. Still, he set the major league record for RBIs in a game with 12 on September 16th against the Dodgers. Then he found the outfield fences, still another hitter trying to see if he could be Babe Ruth. He drove in 100 runs for six years in a row, hitting 133 homers. He also twice led the league in doubles and once in triples. He drove in 120 runs for the 1926 champs and 137 for the 1928 pennants winners. He was named MVP the latter year. In 1931, Bottomley was in the greatest race for the batting title in history, finishing with .3482 to .3486 for the Giant’s Bill Terry and .3489 for Jim’s teammate, Chick Hafey. In 1938, his major league career over , he became the player-manager of the Syracuse Chiefs.

Naturally, Bill James isn’t impressed. “Bottomley was never the biggest star on his own team. He came up with the Cardinals with Hornsby, (actually seven years later), and when Hornsby left there were Frisch and Hafey and Pete Alexander. If he was ever the best first baseman in the league it was just for a couple of years and not by a decisive margin. He played regularly for thirteen seasons but for the last four he was probably a below average player…His qualifications for the Hall of Fame are not overpowering.”

Nonetheless, he was elected in 1974. He was called “Sunny jim” because he was “a cheerful, good natured player, but very competitive an beloved of the fans in St. Louis.” He was particularly popular on Ladies Day. He was a dairy farmer and when he retired, Cardinals fans gave him a cow as a present. “He named the bovine Fielder’s Choice and took it to his farm.”

I wonder if anyone ever called Bill James “Sunny Bill”?

Great, great stuff. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom