Rutty fans handling the Cuse resurgence well | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rutty fans handling the Cuse resurgence well

Rutgers is a stale program with no history or tradition. Hiring retread coaches never works. Schiano will have a few more 6-7 win seasons before they finally tire of him.

They wish they had an exciting hire like Fran Brown.

Rutgers is a stale program with no history or tradition. Hiring retread coaches never works. Schiano will have a few more 6-7 win seasons before they finally tire of him.

They wish they had an exciting hire like Fran Brown.
6-6 in the hard half of the Big Ten is good for them they are always a 2-10 big east program in my eyes decent seasons after Miami left don’t count.

imo Syracuse should shift to establishing rivalries with Louisville, Pitt, VT and NCSU.

BC and Rutgers should be left in the past.

Syracuse had a good budding rivalry with VT in the 90s/early 2000s. Pitt and Syracuse have a long standing (but admittedly weird) rivalry already. Those are less “establishing” than “rejuvenating”.

Rutgers was never a rival. They’re the equivalent of your little brother you dominate in backyard ball who got a lucky win one time and still harps on it endlessly. Mocking those delusional idiots will never go out of style, so hopefully that doesn’t get left in the past.

As an old guy who fondly remembers stomping Penn State in ‘87 to the shock and horror of their fans, part of me hopes that when the musical chairs stop - Syracuse is in the Big Ten. The only two rivalries I ever really cared about were Georgetown in basketball and Penn State in football. Being able to re-establish that rivalry would be a dream come true to me - we were on the verge of doing just that when Penn State went to the Big Ten.

I can’t see ever caring about Louisville or NC State, and at best pretended to care about BC only occasionally.

Syracuse had a good budding rivalry with VT in the 90s/early 2000s. Pitt and Syracuse have a long standing (but admittedly weird) rivalry already. Those are less “establishing” than “rejuvenating”.

Rutgers was never a rival. They’re the equivalent of your little brother you dominate in backyard ball who got a lucky win one time and still harps on it endlessly. Mocking those delusional idiots will never go out of style, so hopefully that doesn’t get left in the past.

As an old guy who fondly remembers stomping Penn State in ‘87 to the shock and horror of their fans, part of me hopes that when the musical chairs stop - Syracuse is in the Big Ten. The only two rivalries I ever really cared about were Georgetown in basketball and Penn State in football. Being able to re-establish that rivalry would be a dream come true to me - we were on the verge of doing just that when Penn State went to the Big Ten.

I can’t see ever caring about Louisville or NC State, and at best pretended to care about BC only occasionally.
Modern day from 1945 until we joined the ACC, West Virginia, and Penn State were our rivals, Boston College and Pittsburgh started a few years later.

Coldest rivalry ever. Seems to be zero animosity. Partially because they’ve dominated us

Well, more accurately - we've alternated taking turns dominating each other, often for years on end.

Sadly (for us), we've been on the receiving end of that for the last bunch of years.
Let's hope this year's W is the first of many where the pendulum swings back in our direction.

That said - I don't really "sports hate" Pitt like I do many other past and current opponents.

Well, more accurately - we've alternated taking turns dominating each other, often for years on end.

Sadly (for us), we've been on the receiving end of that for the last bunch of years.
Let's hope this year's W is the first of many where the pendulum swings back in our direction.

That said - I don't really "sports hate" Pitt like I do many other past and current opponents.
What he said. Pitt has never had the feel of a rival. Only PSU and WVU were at that level. Miami and VATech were on the way... BC was always just a nearby school. Rutgers was just an annoyance we played against many times before joining the Big East (the original Big East, not the B1G's eastern half).

While we can hate on NC State, they do deserve it, but there is not the same level of a good rival like PSU.*

*The PSU rivalry was even until the first downfall of SU football. When it heated back up, PSU pansied out of the eastern rivalries to join the B1G when they could not boss the eastern schools around.

I went to a game at West Virginia sometime around 2008, right around the low point for Syracuse football. Talking to fans there, reminiscing about the Marvin Graves brawl - one guy said “I can’t wait until you guys get good again so it’s actually fun to hate you”.

I don’t think it would take a lot to reignite a rivalry with WVU.

Big ten football is sooo boring. I would be sad with that move. We are not a big state school. The ACC is our fit really.

Isn't Pitt now your most played football rival?

We've never been good at the same time. When one program is up, the other is way down. Hopefully we'll be evening out a bit to have more heat.

I've actually never had a negative interaction with a Pitt fan. Even at the height of our basketball rivalry I had some good times with Pitt fans at the Big East Tournament. Narduzzi is quite unlikeable though, so if we can get some high stakes games, it would mean more.

Big ten football is sooo boring. I would be sad with that move. We are not a big state school. The ACC is our fit really.

The direction things are going, I expect there will ultimately be two “conferences” just like the NFL. There will be some version of “Big Ten”, and some version of “SEC”. I don’t think ACC or Big 12 are going to remain viable much longer.

The direction things are going, I expect there will ultimately be two “conferences” just like the NFL. There will be some version of “Big Ten”, and some version of “SEC”. I don’t think ACC or Big 12 are going to remain viable much longer.
Would make more sense to have two differences with regional sections within each one. Maybe that's what you were alluding to.

Modern day from 1945 until we joined the ACC, West Virginia, and Penn State were our rivals, Boston College and Pittsburgh started a few years later.
Lets book us some Ped state.
I hate them.
I hate them.
I've hated them since before I was a Cuse fan.

I imagine many, on here, feel the same. Book it.
(Need to book someone in the SEC/B10, IMO, anyways)

I’m 52, when I was a kid it was always about Penn State, we didn’t beat them from when I was born until I was 16. We had a couple of close games a very unfortunate fumble, but when Cuse won in ‘87 it was amazing. The problem was Penn St never really cared about us and that’s what makes a rivalry. WVU felt like the closest thing but they had Pitt, Pitt was next but they had WVU. I always thought our biggest rival should be BC but no one cares about them, nor do they care about themselves. At least Cuse And Rutty have a major hate for each other. I mean I hate them irrationally for a team that has never done anything and we own the series 29-13.

Would make more sense to have two differences with regional sections within each one. Maybe that's what you were alluding to.

The way the PAC-12 ended up, split between the Big 10 and Big 12 - I think we're tracking towards both the Big Ten and SEC splitting teams nationally and setting up some type of regional divisions. Then ideally they negotiate TV rights as a unified group, so the gigantic disparities in TV revenues disappear. Owners like the Maras realized in the short term the NY Giants could make more from TV alone, but in the long run banding together would maximize revenues which is part of why the NFL negotiates TV rights so differently than baseball.

College athletics faces a choice - either figure out a way to get to the NFL model and remain as national sports - or continue the way they have been going and become increasingly regional like baseball.

I’m 52, when I was a kid it was always about Penn State, we didn’t beat them from when I was born until I was 16. We had a couple of close games a very unfortunate fumble, but when Cuse won in ‘87 it was amazing. The problem was Penn St never really cared about us and that’s what makes a rivalry. WVU felt like the closest thing but they had Pitt, Pitt was next but they had WVU. I always thought our biggest rival should be BC but no one cares about them, nor do they care about themselves. At least Cuse And Rutty have a major hate for each other. I mean I hate them irrationally for a team that has never done anything and we own the series 29-13.

Penn State is kinda unique in college sports. They were the one "northeastern" team that has been consistently good and occasionally great, while all the other programs have had major down cycles. The result has been everyone - Pitt, WVU, Syracuse, etc - viewed Penn State as a rival. The Syracuse - Penn State rivalry was intense in the 50s/early 60s, but died after that. The Penn State - Pitt rivalry was great in the 70s/early 80s. But Penn State never has had one consistent "main" rival. When everyone is your rival - no one is.

They are still in that situation in the Big Ten, with no true "rival". Ohio State isn't because nothing will compare to Michigan. Rutgers wants to be, but never will. If I ask Penn State fans who their biggest rival is, I'll get about six different answers but mostly blank stares back at me. A return to a big Syracuse - Penn State rivalry is at least possible, because neither school has any other rivalry to prevent a rebirth from occurring. I don't think the odds of it happening are good - but its at least theoretically possible at this point.

I really miss the WVU games. A lot.
Me too, I know some say Pitt is their main rival and that's fine. But who cares? SU-WVU can still be a fun rivalry game. Other schools have rivalry games with more than one school.

The way the PAC-12 ended up, split between the Big 10 and Big 12 - I think we're tracking towards both the Big Ten and SEC splitting teams nationally and setting up some type of regional divisions. Then ideally they negotiate TV rights as a unified group, so the gigantic disparities in TV revenues disappear. Owners like the Maras realized in the short term the NY Giants could make more from TV alone, but in the long run banding together would maximize revenues which is part of why the NFL negotiates TV rights so differently than baseball.

College athletics faces a choice - either figure out a way to get to the NFL model and remain as national sports - or continue the way they have been going and become increasingly regional like baseball.
I've been saying for years now that the SEC and big10 are going to eat themselves alive. Half of these " big boy" programs are going to have 4-5 losses a year if they keep up this growth and it's going to be hilarious.

I've been saying for years now that the SEC and big10 are going to eat themselves alive. Half of these " big boy" programs are going to have 4-5 losses a year if they keep up this growth and it's going to be hilarious.

AND - former "big boy" programs like Nebraska & Sparty are gonna be perpetual losers in this new P2 landscape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom