Sad News ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sad News ...

Thank you all for the very kind posts -- with it being a very tough time for me, this certainly was a nice "pick me up" that certainly helped brighten my spirits a bit. I really appreciate the great people we have on here -- it has been so many years for many of us it certainly feels a bit like an extended family. Special thanks to SUMBA (who had my Dad as a professor) and CTO for coordinating to put the original post up.

Some fun SU info about my Dad -- we moved to Syracuse in the late 60's when he became a professor in the SU School of Management (Finance), and he immediately got season football tix and started taking me to the games when I was a little kid. I actually don't remember the early years--the first star players I remember were Tommy Myers and Joe Ehrmann. In the early 70's he added the basketball season tix when Greg "Kid" Kohls and "Sweet D" DuVal were the stars. I even got to be a ballboy for 2 years, which was a huge thrill.

When I graduated and moved to NYC, I would still drive up for just about all of the home football games since he kept his season tickets until he retired (I eventually took them over for a number of years after he moved out of the area). We also did many trips together for the NCAA Tourney. In 1984 we drove about 16 hours to Atlanta to see them lose to Virginia (the second game of that regional double-header turned out to be Michael Jordan's final collegiate game). We were there in New Orleans in '87 for the Keith Smart heartbreaker. That year wasn't all bad though--we had so much fun at the Meadowlands for the Regional -- first beating Florida and then taking down J.R. Reed and UNC. The 1996 Final Four was an easy trip -- and although we lost to Kentucky, we had a blast on Saturday with a great tailgate and then beating Mississippi State. There is such a euphoria about saying out loud "we are going to play for the National Championship".

We had also started a tradition of him coming down to NYC for the Big East Tourney, which must have lasted for at least 20 years. In fact, that is where many of you met him -- at our beloved Blarney Rock. Orange79 mentioned above that he met him at the Blarney after my Dad had purchased 4 tickets down low for the Big East Final from a fan of a losing team -- that year it was SU vs West Virginia in the Final (one of our Championships). Since we only needed 3 tickets (my brother and I) he sold the 4th to an SU fan that turned out to be Orange79. Jeff and I have been good friends ever since (and in a crazy coincidence, we found out that we both did Jersey Shore Summer rentals about a half mile from each other).

Thank you all for the very kind posts -- with it being a very tough time for me, this certainly was a nice "pick me up" that certainly helped brighten my spirits a bit. I really appreciate the great people we have on here -- it has been so many years for many of us it certainly feels a bit like an extended family. Special thanks to SUMBA (who had my Dad as a professor) and CTO for coordinating to put the original post up.

Some fun SU info about my Dad -- we moved to Syracuse in the late 60's when he became a professor in the SU School of Management (Finance), and he immediately got season football tix and started taking me to the games when I was a little kid. I actually don't remember the early years--the first star players I remember were Tommy Myers and Joe Ehrmann. In the early 70's he added the basketball season tix when Greg "Kid" Kohls and "Sweet D" DuVal were the stars. I even got to be a ballboy for 2 years, which was a huge thrill.

When I graduated and moved to NYC, I would still drive up for just about all of the home football games since he kept his season tickets until he retired (I eventually took them over for a number of years after he moved out of the area). We also did many trips together for the NCAA Tourney. In 1984 we drove about 16 hours to Atlanta to see them lose to Virginia (the second game of that regional double-header turned out to be Michael Jordan's final collegiate game). We were there in New Orleans in '87 for the Keith Smart heartbreaker. That year wasn't all bad though--we had so much fun at the Meadowlands for the Regional -- first beating Florida and then taking down J.R. Reed and UNC. The 1996 Final Four was an easy trip -- and although we lost to Kentucky, we had a blast on Saturday with a great tailgate and then beating Mississippi State. There is such a euphoria about saying out loud "we are going to play for the National Championship".

We had also started a tradition of him coming down to NYC for the Big East Tourney, which must have lasted for at least 20 years. In fact, that is where many of you met him -- at our beloved Blarney Rock. Orange79 mentioned above that he met him at the Blarney after my Dad had purchased 4 tickets down low for the Big East Final from a fan of a losing team -- that year it was SU vs West Virginia in the Final (one of our Championships). Since we only needed 3 tickets (my brother and I) he sold the 4th to an SU fan that turned out to be Orange79. Jeff and I have been good friends ever since (and in a crazy coincidence, we found out that we both did Jersey Shore Summer rentals about a half mile from each other).
sad for your loss. Nothing beats the memories of with your father and Syracuse basketball

My condolences E:

I'm very happy to know that you had many good years with your father - one can only hope for that to happen.

J,

Hey Eric, regret that I’d missed this previously, but very sorry to hear about your dad.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom