Scholarship Players Who Didn't Play Against Colgate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Scholarship Players Who Didn't Play Against Colgate

Until I hear otherwise, gonna assume he’s just injured. If he did that, it’s probably frustration. Seems like that happens a lot and ends up being nothing.

That said, Dino was quick to bring out the Wally Pipp reference so maybe Brown really caught their attention in the preseason and he’s there to stay.

True Freshman Darrell Gill got 38 snaps as a WR to...Adams who's listed as a starter got 8. Hard to say where Pena even fits in when (or if) he comes back.

Brown - 62
Alford - 43
Hatcher - 39
Gill - 38
Jones - 32
Cohoon - 20
Long - 11
Adams - 8

Gadsden - 30

True Freshman Darrell Gill got 38 snaps as a WR to...Adams who's listed as a starter got 8. Hard to say where Pena even fits in when (or if) he comes back.

Brown - 62
Alford - 43
Hatcher - 39
Gill - 38
Jones - 32
Cohoon - 20
Long - 11
Adams - 8

Gadsden - 30
Snap counts also driven by evaluation. Maybe they wanted to have adams focus on returning. With Gill he must have impressed and given a chance in a live game to get on tape. Brown was definitely on a tryout.

I also think the snap count was based on playing a vanilla offense and not wanting to show anything. Had a big lead why keep starters out there and show anything or risk injury.

Syracuse put in 77 players yesterday, according to the participation report. That includes 11 walkons.

There are 17 16* scholarship players who did not play. Here's the list - I've included class year and known injury to perhaps help explain why.

Pena, WR (Jr - Known injury)
Moultie-Goddard, LB (Fr)
Omopaiola, LB (Fr)
Oliver, DB (RSo - ?)
Parkman, RB (Fr)
Hawkins, RB (So - ?)
Von Marburg*, P (So - *Unsure of scholarship status)
Jeffery, LB (Fr)
Meolo, OL (Jr - Not dressed yesterday)
Kauhi, OL (RSo - ?) Edit: I should always have OrangeXtreme check my work before posting.
Ellis, OL (Jr - Known injury)
More, OL (RSo - Known injury)
Mahar, TE (Jr - Out for Season)
Smith J., DL (Fr)
Perry R., DL (Fr)
Gordon, DL (Fr)
Nolton, DL (RFr - ?)
Bassette, DL (RFr - Edit: Not dressed yesterday)
Joe More is a R-Sr., not R.So.

I'd guess Oliver has an owie if he got zero run. For other freshman such as Perry and Gordon i'd guess we are saving them to play their 4 games in future games. Both are good players and this Indicates we plan to likely redshirt both. If a couple injuries occur we may want them playing in games that mean something.

Snap counts also driven by evaluation. Maybe they wanted to have adams focus on returning. With Gill he must have impressed and given a chance in a live game to get on tape. Brown was definitely on a tryout.

Agreed. This was an audition for sure. Guys played well so it's going to be hard for Pena to get meaningful snaps I think.

Last edited:
I'd guess Oliver has an owie if he got zero run. For other freshman such as Perry and Gordon i'd guess we are saving them to play their 4 games in future games. Both are good players and this Indicates we plan to likely redshirt both. If a couple injuries occur we may want them playing in games that mean something.

Someone said Perry had his knee wrapped.

Someone said Perry had his knee wrapped.
I've been jumping from thread to thread confirm this. I spotted him dressed but in a brace on his knee. I can't remember which one. But the fact that he dressed anyway means it probably wasn't too bad.