Scott Shafer for head coach? | Syracusefan.com

Scott Shafer for head coach?

I'm willing to try anything at this point ... I certainly have more faith in Shafer.

Shafer HC, maybe. Does he have any connections to some of the good OC's left in the MAC? Would like to see Matt Campbell from Toledo on the Orange sidelines as well.

Ty Wheatley as OC?

any thoughts on promoting the good pieces we have?
But wait...we had a group of board experts that were calling for his head after the Minny game. This is all sooooo confusing.

But wait...we had a group of board experts that were calling for his head after the Minny game. This is all sooooo confusing.

Don't paint everybody with that brush.

I'm just not sure we can afford to hit the reset button again and wait another 4 years. Shafer is our best coach and Wheatley is our best recruiter so he needs to stay. If not Wheatley at OC keep him at RB caoch, up his pay, and I like the idea of the Toledo O coach.

Or bump Whealtey to OC and bring in the Stony Brook RB coach so we keep those down state ties.

Perfect year to hit the reset button, small recruiting class this year so your not chancing much.

No

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

One thing the ACC will do for us is attract a HC that would otherwise not look at SU. Things will be different this time around.

One thing the ACC will do for us is attract a HC that would otherwise not look at SU. Things will be different this time around.

I hope your right. I also hope the new found $$'s starting next year is going into the football program for facilities, coaches salaries, etc. first and for most. Obviously need to keep basketball going but football needs a HUGE boost to remain competitive as we aren't winning now and fear ESPN's bottom 10 coming fast again. I'm past tired of losing and having other teams mock our football program.

How about Boeheim? He may be a basketball guy, but he's kinda bored and ready for a new challenge. He knows how to run a program and Hopkins is ready to be the basketball guy. I love Marrone but am running out of reasons to maintain loyalty. Do you not think that JB could do ok?

Perfect year to hit the reset button, small recruiting class this year so your not chancing much.
I think there's something to this.

Plus, are we really expecting to be competitive in a new conference next season?

Where do I sign up.

Today is the first time in years I've seen SU actually attempt to stop the screen pass. We play D-2 teams and they run the ball down our throats. Teams have 3rd and 15+ and the DB is playing 10 yards off the WR all the way down the field. Players still can't wrap up on a tackle. We don't force any TO's. We rarely get pressure on the QB in the last few years. Defensive players routinely get called for 15 yard penalties.

Shafer is definitely not to blame at all. Now given all that, I've liked our defense a lot of times in the last few years but they are definitely just as responsible for the losing. Not only that the, fundamental errors we've seen on the D over and over again never get fixed. Just like the rest of the team.

Where do I sign up.

Today is the first time in years I've seen SU actually attempt to stop the screen pass. We play D-2 teams and they run the ball down our throats. Teams have 3rd and 15+ and the DB is playing 10 yards off the WR all the way down the field. Players still can't wrap up on a tackle. We don't force any TO's. We rarely get pressure on the QB in the last few years. Defensive players routinely get called for 15 yard penalties.
Shafer is definitely not to blame at all. Now given all that, I've liked our defense a lot of times in the last few years but they are definitely just as responsible for the losing. Not only that the, fundamental errors we've seen on the D over and over again never get fixed. Just like the rest of the team.

Our defense has given up 237, 346, 337, 311, 445, and 337 yards in our games this year. I'd love to force more turnovers as well but our 2 wins are thanks to the defense and 3 of our 4 losses are on the offense and/or special teams. USC was just all around better.

Our defense has given up 237, 346, 337, 311, 445, and 337 yards in our games this year. I'd love to force more turnovers as well but our 2 wins are thanks to the defense and 3 of our 4 losses are on the offense and/or special teams. USC was just all around better.

I agree, the offense and ST has sucked and we need a new HC. But Shafer would be a terrible HC if he can't even correct the same problems that have plagued the defense for the last few years. If we got a new HC I would love to have Shafer stay, it's just silly to argue he should be the HC.

That's because he got his act together in the last two games.

Look...I like the vast majority of what Shafer does. However, please do not forget that there have been many occassions over the past four years where the defense had a chance to make a big momentum changing stop and came up snake eyes.

Today for instance, SU stops Rutgers right out of the gate after the opening kickoff. Swings field position so the next time Rutgers gets the ball, they start on the seven...and allows a long TD drive.

Don't forget the lengthy drive allowed against NW to let them take the lead in the last minute.

All I am saying is that the D is obviously the least of the three evils (O, D & ST) but it has had chances to swing a number of the games SU has lost recently and has not finished off a wire-to-wire dominant performance.

SUOrange44

I agree, the offense and ST has sucked and we need a new HC. But Shafer would be a terrible HC if he can't even correct the same problems that have plagued the defense for the last few years. If we got a new HC I would love to have Shafer stay, it's just silly to argue he should be the HC.

Fair enough. I just see the defense as the only reason we've won any games since marrone got here.

No idea what Shafer would look like as HC but he's the best coach we've currently got and can;t imagine stoic demeanor would ever be an issue.

Look...I like the vast majority of what Shafer does. However, please do not forget that there have been many occassions over the past four years where the defense had a chance to make a big momentum changing stop and came up snake eyes.

Today for instance, SU stops Rutgers right out of the gate after the opening kickoff. Swings field position so the next time Rutgers gets the ball, they start on the seven...and allows a long TD drive.

Don't forget the lengthy drive allowed against NW to let them take the lead in the last minute.

All I am saying is that the D is obviously the least of the three evils (O, D & ST) but it has had chances to swing a number of the games SU has lost recently and has not finished off a wire-to-wire dominant performance.

SUOrange44
Defense is also the unit where you are the most reactive, so to me its the one I hold the least accountable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom