Sean Riley | Syracusefan.com

Sean Riley

Riley brings back memories of another speedy WR, Mo Jackson, who had a similar build (5-8, 169). For the Younglings on the board, Jackson was also an electric KO returner, and excelled at blocking kicks on ST.

Riley is emerging as a terrific third option at WR.

At the same time, Butler appears to be being phased out.

I really liked how he attacked space quickly on those screens. I also like using him in some of those drag routes to get him space to run.

I think Butler was only targeted once and made the catch. Hopefully he wasn't being phased out but was being used primarily as the "lead blocker" for the bubble screens.

I'm actually far more concerned with Custis' drops. Appears to have difficulty catching (perfect) passes over his left shoulder. That can't happen against ACC teams.

I think Butler was only targeted once and made the catch. Hopefully he wasn't being phased out but was being used primarily as the "lead blocker" for the bubble screens.

I'm actually far more concerned with Custis' drops. Appears to have difficulty catching (perfect) passes over his left shoulder. That can't happen against ACC teams.

Agree about Custis. He has always had the perfect body type for WR but that only gets you so far when you need to improve on the mechanics of the position.

Based on receptions you would think that but he played an awful lot. We played 4 receivers a lot too. He was rarely on the bench. We tried to hit Custis a few times but it seemed like we were targeting the inside guys most of the night vs the outside guys. But otherwise Butler was a beast breaking guys free for extra yardage with his blocking.

I thought he was the WR on N. Johnsons pass?

Riley finally had a good game.

Taj Harris just looks so smooth. Sure seems like he’s being phased in. Butler can block for him.
Harris needed to catch that slant from DeVito for a td. Hit him right in the hands... I think one of the Johnsons also dropped a slant for a td from Dungey. These dudes are d1 receivers... they need to catch the ball.

Harris needed to catch that slant from DeVito for a td. Hit him right in the hands... I think one of the Johnsons also dropped a slant for a td from Dungey. These dudes are d1 receivers... they need to catch the ball.

Had his hands one way and the ball came fast a little too far in front and didn't adjust his hands as quick as the ball was there. Tough catch to make imo.

Riley has been threatening to take a punt all the way and he finally made it. He will get more before the season is over. Can't be dropping fair catches though.

Riley has been threatening to take a punt all the way and he finally made it. He will get more before the season is over. Can't be dropping fair catches though.

Agree though that ball seemed to dip quickly on Sean maybe he broke too late to catch it when he moved forward and why it seemed like it dove down,.

The guy is a football player and even though at times frustrating to watch hands wise he always puts in 100% and does so many things to help this team.

Based on receptions you would think that but he played an awful lot. We played 4 receivers a lot too. He was rarely on the bench. We tried to hit Custis a few times but it seemed like we were targeting the inside guys most of the night vs the outside guys. But otherwise Butler was a beast breaking guys free for extra yardage with his blocking.

Yeah, I meant in terms of targets. He was the guy most expected to be the anchor of this unit, but he seems to be fourth out of four in the pecking order.

Nothing wrong with that -- more of a testament to Johnson [in particular], Custis, and Riley emerging to solidify a unit that had major question marks heading into the season. Butler can still help the team these next two years, I just don't think he's going to produce a ton. But as you point out, he's finding a way to help in other important ways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom