Season's rule changes and emphases | Syracusefan.com

Season's rule changes and emphases

One rule change I would like to see is like in the Nba, after a timeout you can advance the ball to mid court.

Agreed. If a team is down 1, and has to go the entire length of the court to score with 20 seconds left, why should the other team get the ball 2/3 of the way down the court?
Our game against the zags. Suddenly they would have had the ball at mid court. Total B.S.

Agreed. If a team is down 1, and has to go the entire length of the court to score with 20 seconds left, why should the other team get the ball 2/3 of the way down the court?

It makes it more interesting, and gives the team thats down a chance.

Loved Cooney, but Rule #3 would've been devastating to him. I'd estimate that he traveled while catching a pass coming off a screen at a 90% clip. He was hardly alone, but his were so obvious.

The team that is down had plenty of chances over the prior 39 minutes, why disadvantage the team that earned the lead.

By the way none of those "rule changes" or points of emphasis were things that were screaming at me to get fixed. Sometimes its ok to just say let's leave it alone.

That's what the special olympics are for. Actually that's an insult to the Special Olympics. What you're advocating is essentially a handout. Stephanie Miner and Section 8 would be so proud.Oh Lord

Never understood giving an advantage to the team that has played the worst in the game.
Why not take the ball outunder your offensive basket? Now there is a better chance.

Loved Cooney, but Rule #3 would've been devastating to him. I'd estimate that he traveled while catching a pass coming off a screen at a 90% clip. He was hardly alone, but his were so obvious.

That is an easy adjustment to make: set your feet before receiving the ball. I learned this in junior high and to this day I receive the ball with my feet set and shoulders square to the basket. Glad to see the travel call a point of emphasis.

Thanks for positing this informative video. I am particularly glad to see the elbow to the defender's face call changed. Some coaches appeared to instruct their defenders to draw an offensive foul by hitting the offensive player in the elbow with their chin. No names but this seems to be similar to prostitution by paying the defender for getting too intimate with the ball handler. I have even seen cases where the defender has fallen as if shot by a rifle only to find out upon review that there was no actual contact with the offensive player's elbow.

Under the new rule, as long as the offensive player's forearms are more vertical than horizontal the foul should be called on the defensive player. This makes much more sense and will stop coaches from teaching the dangerous practice mentioned above.

As I mentioned in the thread Toga started, #5 has the ability to most negatively impact us. Our sideline/baseline traps, usually so effective, could easily become fouls if this point of emphasis is called as written.

Thanks for positing this informative video. I am particularly glad to see the elbow to the defender's face call changed. Some coaches appeared to instruct their defenders to draw an offensive foul by hitting the offensive player in the elbow with their chin. No names but this seems to be similar to prostitution by paying the defender for getting too intimate with the ball handler. I have even seen cases where the defender has fallen as if shot by a rifle only to find out upon review that there was no actual contact with the offensive player's elbow.

Under the new rule, as long as the offensive player's forearms are more vertical than horizontal the foul should be called on the defensive player. This makes much more sense and will stop coaches from teaching the dangerous practice mentioned above.

We're still going to see the call screwed up a ton. But at least they revised a very bad rule on paper.

We're still going to see the call screwed up a ton. But at least they revised a very bad rule on paper.

How about we outlaw the charge altogether? There is no skill to just standing in the way of someone. Defenders should always be forced to move their feet IMO. You can still have offensive fouls(pushing off/etc).

How about we outlaw the charge altogether? There is no skill to just standing in the way of someone. Defenders should always be forced to move their feet IMO. You can still have offensive fouls(pushing off/etc).

The main problem is that we'd see Shaq-ball become a viable offensive move for all five guys out there. That takes us down an ugly road.

But based on all the college basketball I watch, there are probably 9 blocks for every one legitimate charge. They're not called that way, though. Way too much deference is given to the guy who's standing in the way and not trying to defend, it's weird.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom