Seattle Pacific is DIRTY | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Seattle Pacific is DIRTY

They've actually done studies and broken down film, and American football actually IS something like 11 or 12 minutes of actual on field action for every 60 minutes.

I love baseball, but last night was the first WS game that I watched since the Yankees final game. If the Yankees, Phillies, Red Sox aren't in it, the majority of the nation could really care less.

According to the Neilsen ratings the WS games last week...Three WS games finished in the top 10 ratings for the week..including the Sunday night game that clobbered Sunday Night Football.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/top10s/television.html

According to the Neilsen ratings the WS games last week...Three WS games finished in the top 10 ratings for the week..including the Sunday night game that clobbered Sunday Night Football.

http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/top10s/television.html

Sunday Night game was a 55 point blow-out that was supposed to be Bress vs Manning. Were the WS number comparable or better than some of the better Sunday Night games this season? I would guess not, but I don't follow the ratings closely.

I hear you guys.Different strokes for different folks. Sorry bout the box of soap.

They probably get a 3 seed :rolling:
While Zona isn't what we were in 2009-2010, that was the year we lost to LeMoyne and pulled out a #1 seed. Crazy to think about.

While Zona isn't what we were in 2009-2010, that was the year we lost to LeMoyne and pulled out a #1 seed. Crazy to think about.
That season was the most fun to watch since 02-03, hands down

They've actually done studies and broken down film, and American football actually IS something like 11 or 12 minutes of actual on field action for every 60 minutes.

And a 60 minute college FB game takes 3:30 an NFL game takes 3:00.

Action? Compare sports to sex..half the fun is in the anticipation.

Baseball is about tension. Odd. Possibilities. Expectations. And it becomes marvelous because of the unexpected.

It really is a "thinking man's game." If you don't see/understand the intricacies and don't have 'a dog in the fight,' it probably is boring.

I wonder if the people who find it boring never played Little League. Where i came from, EVERY kid played Little League, except for the clumsy schmucks who later turned to soccer. If you played the game, even as a kid, i don't see how you could not like it as an adult.

The game can be incredibly 'deep.' Read the RedSox forum on SonsOfSamHorn to see just how much there is to the sport. They come up with a new kind of statistic every week, it seems... I've been reading it every day for two years, and still don't understand a good portion of what's being discussed.

With football and basketball, it's all very immediate. You can just SEE the action. With baseball, what you aren't seeing is just as important. From the history, to the statistics as predictors of action... the decisions... And even though the action is pretty well-regimented and structured, the intentions of every player change with each pitch. The scenarios change with every pitch.

But, as i said, if you don't have a dog in it, you can be left wondering what is the appeal. I typically watch 150 Sox games each year. But, i have very little interest in watching any other teams play. Until the playoffs, when it's all good again.

But, like March Madness, and how i can't fully enjoy the tournament until Duke loses... I don't fully enjoy MLB playoffs until the MFY are out of it.

Big part of the reason i feel the way i do is because i never did play baseball. Played football,lax and wrestled.Little more upbeat.

That season was the most fun to watch since 02-03, hands down
It sure was. Zona wont get to be a No. 1 this year, but Miller has completely changed the program and the culture down there. He is an unabashed success and one of the best in the biz right now.

The worst thing about NFL football is that it now requires FIVE guys in suits to analyze the game for an hour before it starts.

I remember years ago in Sports Illistrated Rick Riley broke down the game /hobby/snoozefest of baseball.I think he came up with like 15 minutes or something of actual action.The other 3 hours was the guy fixing his hat,batter stepping out the box,spitting,grabbing crotch,playing catch,trying to get the guy on base out 10 times in a row, arguing with ump.etc...

You realize football has the same amount of actual action, right?

Agreed baseball is extremely boring and that is why football is head and shoulders above all sports and now the NBA has become more popular than MLB, however last night's game was insane.

Made up statistic. NBA is not more popular than baseball. If the NBA cancels this season they will be behind the NHL, though.

You realize football has the same amount of actual action, right?

Made up statistic. NBA is not more popular than baseball. If the NBA cancels this season they will be behind the NHL, though.

It sure as hell is on its way to being more popular than baseball. NBA will not cancel season and even if they do, no way NHL overtakes them. Kids growing up now dont care about baseball. Im 28 and 75% of my friends could give 2 ***** about baseball, the ones that do are Yankee fans. Baseball is freakin boring as anything and the younger generations coming up are into actual sports, not fast paced golf.

It sure as hell is on its way to being more popular than baseball. NBA will not cancel season and even if they do, no way NHL overtakes them. Kids growing up now dont care about baseball. Im 28 and 75% of my friends could give 2 ***** about baseball, the ones that do are Yankee fans. Baseball is freakin boring as anything and the younger generations coming up are into actual sports, not fast paced golf.

Ok, well in your little world it might not be popular, and in the future, it actually might get overtaken by other sports. But the numbers show baseball still is more popular than basketball.

NBA will most likely cancel their season because the players are too greedy and the owners are too stupid to realize they aren't the NFL, people don't care right now and only watch the NBA playoffs anyways. The NHL is on a huge upswing, just signed a billion dollar deal with NBC Sports and is stronger than ever, and their CBA is in good shape and gives them room to grow. Don't try to tell me about the industry of sports.

Ok, well in your little world it might not be popular, and in the future, it actually might get overtaken by other sports. But the numbers show baseball still is more popular than basketball.

NBA will most likely cancel their season because the players are too greedy and the owners are too stupid to realize they aren't the NFL, people don't care right now and only watch the NBA playoffs anyways. The NHL is on a huge upswing, just signed a billion dollar deal with NBC Sports and is stronger than ever, and their CBA is in good shape and gives them room to grow. Don't try to tell me about the industry of sports.

And I am talking about the future. The NBA, once this is hashed out in on an upswing and MLB is on a permanent downturn (imo because younger sports fans and athletes dont care about it as much). The NHL can have the greatest stability ever, it still will never be anywhere near the Big 3 of sports in America, in terms of fans and ratings.

And I am talking about the future. The NBA, once this is hashed out in on an upswing and MLB is on a permanent downturn (imo because younger sports fans and athletes dont care about it as much). The NHL can have the greatest stability ever, it still will never be anywhere near the Big 3 of sports in America, in terms of fans and ratings.

That's false, once Versus rebrands as NBC Sports and starts to challenge ESPN the whole landscape is going to change. The NBA had good ratings for the playoffs this year but no one cares about the regular season. You can keep bashing the NHL all you want, but it is pretty much on the level of the NBA. It has the highest percentage of diehard fans of all the major sports, the thing holding it back is casual fans, and it's ESPN's fault because they refuse to show highlights because they have sour grapes that the NHL stiffed them.

That's false, once Versus rebrands as NBC Sports and starts to challenge ESPN the whole landscape is going to change. The NBA had good ratings for the playoffs this year but no one cares about the regular season. You can keep bashing the NHL all you want, but it is pretty much on the level of the NBA. It has the highest percentage of diehard fans of all the major sports, the thing holding it back is casual fans, and it's ESPN's fault because they refuse to show highlights because they have sour grapes that the NHL stiffed them.

We'll see. I personally would be shocked to see this but anything can happen.

I'm late to this thread, but I cannot resist a rant about what money and greed have done to baseball.

People of my generation grew up LOVING baseball. It was practically the only game in town. For example, neither the Giants/Colts championship game in 1958 ("greatest game ever played") nor the "Willis Reed game" in the 1970 NBA playoffs was broadcast live in NYC. But every Yankees, Dodgers and Giants baseball home game was broadcast live -- and most of them were played during the DAY. As were all the World Series games. Kids went to games with their parents, and watched them on TV. Kids got hooked, and they became fans.

In the past few decades, practically all games are played at night ... including all the World Series games. What 9-year-old on the east coast is allowed to stay up until 12:40 a.m. -- in order to watch a classic game like the one last night?

The geniuses in MLB and the networks -- in order to make money today -- are turning off generations of future fans. "Eating their seed corn," so to speak, to make a few bucks today. A few decades ago, you never would have seen a thread like this. Baseball was truly "America's game," and everyone loved it.

I'm late to this thread, but I cannot resist a rant about what money and greed have done to baseball.

People of my generation grew up LOVING baseball. It was practically the only game in town. For example, neither the Giants/Colts championship game in 1958 ("greatest game ever played") nor the "Willis Reed game" in the 1970 NBA playoffs was broadcast live in NYC. But every Yankees, Dodgers and Giants baseball home game was broadcast live -- and most of them were played during the DAY. As were all the World Series games. Kids went to games with their parents, and watched them on TV. Kids got hooked, and they became fans.

In the past few decades, practically all games are played at night ... including all the World Series games. What 9-year-old on the east coast is allowed to stay up until 12:40 a.m. -- in order to watch a classic game like the one last night?

The geniuses in MLB and the networks -- in order to make money today -- are turning off generations of future fans. "Eating their seed corn," so to speak, to make a few bucks today. A few decades ago, you never would have seen a thread like this. Baseball was truly "America's game," and everyone loved it.

I hear this argument all the time and its true and makes sense, im not questioning the validity of it but the NBA plays all their playoff games even later than MLB and still have had very good ratings recently. Even the NBA season has a ton of marquee games that are played at 9/10 pm eastern, yet they seem to be growing in popularity.

Same here...late to this thread

Baseball was everything to us as kids in the 60s. We followed the stats, knew the history and used to play in the local field in the summer and played Strat-o-matic in the winter.

The strike (I don't remember the year) killed baseball for me. I got interested for a short time again when Maguire and Sosa had their HR battle but other than that, even going to the games isn't any fun.

In national ratings released Friday by the Fox network, Thursday night’s game averaged – for its prime-time portion — a 5.6 rating in the 18 to 49 audience that is the standard for much of television advertising. That is by far the best number any series game has scored this year. The prime-time hours also averaged 19.4 million viewers, the best total viewer tally.
The numbers only got better as the most dramatic part of the game unfolded after 11 p.m. Eastern time, leading to a thrilling conclusion and a 10-9 Cardinals victory over Texas. For its full duration, the game averaged 21.1 million viewers.
The game also pushed Fox to an easy prime-time win in that 18 to 49 category on Thursday night. The only show on another network that managed to beat it, even for a half-hour, was “The Big Bang Theory” on CBS, which went up against the earliest portion of the game. After that, it was all baseball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom