second thoughts? | Syracusefan.com

second thoughts?

stuckinbig11

All American
I wonder if Chris is having some as more and more players commit to the draft.

I wonder if Chris is having some as more and more players commit to the draft.

If he doesn't get drafted he's out. I think he's taking a big risk. I know he's got a lot of potential but still it's a croweded field.

If he cared, it should have been a no brainer not to sign with an agent but test the waters and based on the feedback, then make a more reasoned decision. Thinking only from concern over his future not even as an SU fan, it's sad how these kids jump and restrict their options. Sounds to me like someone was offering some immediate upfront dough for the right to be his agent.

He should have first thoughts, made no sense at the time, and still doesn't today.

He should have first thoughts, made no sense at the time, and still doesn't today.

He said before and going into the season. Planned to be one n done. And apparently would tell anyone and anybody. Although I admit like many did the injury specifically would have changed things.

Add into wanting to get his family out of a tough situation in the Bronx, and with a child on the way (which he said played a big factor in his decision)

makes a lot more sense. Even as a selfish Syracuse fan like myself.

I don't think he's second guessing anything. I'm betting he had zero interest in college. It's sad because he's placed all his eggs in one basket and if it doesn't work out he's put himself in a bad position. It's sad that these kids see their sport as the end all be all for their future.

If he goes in the top 40 picks he will get guaranteed money

Remember Jerami Grant "slipped" to the 2nd round and still got a guaranteed contract

Remember Jerami Grant "slipped" to the 2nd round and still got a guaranteed contract
Did all of the second rounders in front of him get guaranteed contracts too?

Did all of the second rounders in front of him get guaranteed contracts too?
No. But I could see Chris getting one. Imo opinion he has more potential than Grant. 3 inches taller, better shooter, younger. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a stupid decision. But whether he makes it or not has nothing to do with where he gets drafted.

He said before and going into the season. Planned to be one n done. And apparently would tell anyone and anybody. Although I admit like many did the injury specifically would have changed things.

Add into wanting to get his family out of a tough situation in the Bronx, and with a child on the way (which he said played a big factor in his decision)

That was before he didn't play well and tore up his knee, things change, sometimes you have to adapt.

I don't know why Jerami got his guaranteed contract, I guess the sixers are desperate, but 2nd round picks aren't usually guaranteed money.

No. But I could see Chris getting one. Imo opinion he has more potential than Grant. 3 inches taller, better shooter, younger. Don't get me wrong, I think it was a stupid decision. But whether he makes it or not has nothing to do with where he gets drafted.
I think it'll depend less on who Chris is or what his potential is and more on which organization drafts him. Regardless of how he compares to Grant, different front offices are going to handle the contract differently. That's why I was curious as to how many others got guarantees.

Last edited:
My feeling is that he never had any intention of returning for a second season. If he could have gone directly to the NBA last year, he probably would have. As someone said above, I think he had zero interest in the academic side of things.

His decision makes more sense ONLY IF it leads to an ACTUAL OPPORTUNITY to help his family get out of their tough situation and provide for his child that's on the way.

As of today there is no guarantee that this opportunity will come to fruition with a guaranteed contract.

Sure, he still MIGHT end up a 1st RD pick, BUT...he also could get drafted in RD 2 and get cut, go undrafted and not make the team he signs with, or end up in the D-League as 2nd rounder with little guarantee.

Three of the 4 possibilities above aren't good and all the players recently declaring added to the fact that CM is coming off a major knee injury don't help his chances for an optimal outcome.

I'm not speaking as a fan, I'm speaking as a realist who understands the shortest route isnt always the best one.

The kid just turned 20 years old in February. He had plenty of time to improve his health AND his game.

The NBA would've waited for him and he should've waited for the NBA.

Because once you make that leap, NBA teams don't wait for anybody who's not up to snuff.

If he cared, it should have been a no brainer not to sign with an agent but test the waters and based on the feedback, then make a more reasoned decision. Thinking only from concern over his future not even as an SU fan, it's sad how these kids jump and restrict their options. Sounds to me like someone was offering some immediate upfront dough for the right to be his agent.

It's even sadder that the NCAA restricts their options by forcing them to forgo their remaining eligibility in order to go through the draft process.

Has he officially signed with his agent? All I see is it has been reported, and a "source" said he signed. I don't see the point of signing until you see who is coming out, you are handicapping yourself. If he already signed I think it was a dumb decision.

If he fulfills having more potential than Grant, he'll be a very good player. I'm so impressed with Grant's rookie year.

If he fulfills having more potential than Grant, he'll be a very good player. I'm so impressed with Grant's rookie year.

Grant has TWO healthy knees and had TWO full seasons of top-flight NCAA competition after high school.

CM5 has ONE healthy knee and a little over TWO MONTHS of experience beyond high school.

Big difference.

Actually he will be the same age as Grant was when he was drafted last year. (A few months older to be exact.)

My feeling is that he never had any intention of returning for a second season. If he could have gone directly to the NBA last year, he probably would have. As someone said above, I think he had zero interest in the academic side of things.
That has been my thought all along as well. So, my question is (assuming this is true), why didn't he just say that?? He said on more than one occasion that he intended on returning to Syracuse next season. What bothers me more than anything, more than not having him on the team next year, is why wouldn't he just say that, or say that he is undecided? Again, all speculative, but if that was his intention (whether we agree or not), why mislead people? Silent G said right after the season that he planned on coming back but was not going to say anything was 100%. I respect that answer much more. If it was academic(interest or grade related), he knew this information when he said he was coming back, find it hard to believe that anything drastic happened academically between the few weeks when he "changed his mind". I know he owes us nothing, I realize that, and everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I wish CM the best. Hope he has a long, fruitful, well-paid NBA career. Go get em big fella.

I'm not into speculation when it comes to someone trying to get paid. And the big picture is usually bigger than most speculate about anyway.

(Case in point: It's very possible that Dontae Greene and Tyler Ennis made the right decisions leaving when they did to maximize their NBA dollars. Had they chose to stay longer, they may have reaped less NBA dollars, or none, for various reasons. Speculation, is just that, speculation. Yet, one might add, but they could have stayed 4 years at SU, obtained a college degree and parlayed that into more financial success outside of basketball. Again, just speculation. No one really knows the absolute truth, except the almighty and I do not believe the almighty posts to this message board.)

I wish CM the best. Hope he has a long, fruitful, well-paid NBA career. Go get em big fella.

I'm not into speculation when it comes to someone trying to get paid. And the big picture is usually bigger than most speculate about anyway.

(Case in point: It's very possible that Dontae Greene and Tyler Ennis made the right decisions leaving when they did to maximize their NBA dollars. Had they chose to stay longer, they may have reaped less NBA dollars, or none, for various reasons. Speculation, is just that, speculation. Yet, one might add, but they could have stayed 4 years at SU, obtained a college degree and parlayed that into more financial success outside of basketball. Again, just speculation. No one really knows the absolute truth, except the almighty and I do not believe the almighty posts to this message board.)
Donte Greene definitely would have benefited by staying at least one more year. His game had rough spots (particularly his handle) that he could have improved with another year of college. I don't think his draft position would have been worse than it was; I definitely think his NBA career could have been a lot better. BTW, he's a bright young man who had zero academic difficulties so that was not an issue for him.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom