second thoughts? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

second thoughts?

OttosBestFriend said:
His decision makes more sense ONLY IF it leads to an ACTUAL OPPORTUNITY to help his family get out of their tough situation and provide for his child that's on the way. As of today there is no guarantee that this opportunity will come to fruition with a guaranteed contract. Sure, he still MIGHT end up a 1st RD pick, BUT...he also could get drafted in RD 2 and get cut, go undrafted and not make the team he signs with, or end up in the D-League as 2nd rounder with little guarantee. Three of the 4 possibilities above aren't good and all the players recently declaring added to the fact that CM is coming off a major knee injury don't help his chances for an optimal outcome. I'm not speaking as a fan, I'm speaking as a realist who understands the shortest route isnt always the best one. The kid just turned 20 years old in February. He had plenty of time to improve his health AND his game. The NBA would've waited for him and he should've waited for the NBA. Because once you make that leap, NBA teams don't wait for anybody who's not up to snuff.

Stopped reading after "his decision"...

Well looking at last year's draft, of the non-Euro players picked in the 2nd round, 6 didn't sign contracts. http://www.spotrac.com/nba/draft/

I would expect he will get picked in the 2nd rd and signed to a 3-yr deal w/ team option for a 4th year.

I don't know why Jerami got his guaranteed contract, I guess the sixers are desperate, but 2nd round picks aren't usually guaranteed money.

I believe Jerami did not get a guaranteed contract because he was a 2nd rounder- he had to earn that in camp- I think they gave him a two year deal. He benefited from the Sixers having nobody else and I think was pretty impressive in camp before getting hurt. His risky moved paid off. Maybe Chris gets as lucky.

If he goes in the top 40 picks he will get guaranteed money

Remember Jerami Grant "slipped" to the 2nd round and still got a guaranteed contract

Um, I doubt it.

Guaranteed money in the 2nd round is pretty rare.

Probably unheard of for a guy who avgd 5 points a game over his last 7 games and will miss at least the 1st month of the season.

I believe Jerami did not get a guaranteed contract because he was a 2nd rounder- he had to earn that in camp- I think they gave him a two year deal. He benefited from the Sixers having nobody else and I think was pretty impressive in camp before getting hurt. His risky moved paid off. Maybe Chris gets as lucky.

Jerami got a 2 yr guaranteed deal but it came with 2 year team options which is the same as 1st round picks. The only difference is in that 4th yr normal players see a big bump where Jerami's only goes up like 5 or 10 %. Playing as good as he has this season - basically locks him up for a crappy 4 yr deal now.

KJ, who everyone in Philly thought was going to get the guaranteed money will now get a nice pay raise next year.

Its a big gamble to go in the 2nd round and figure out which deal you can get from a team and if you get the guaranteed money - if you should take it.

Um, I doubt it.

Guaranteed money in the 2nd round is pretty rare.

Probably unheard of for a guy who avgd 5 points a game over his last 7 games and will miss at least the 1st month of the season.

Gary Parrish says 80% get guaranteed money.

Donte Greene definitely would have benefited by staying at least one more year. His game had rough spots (particularly his handle) that he could have improved with another year of college. I don't think his draft position would have been worse than it was; I definitely think his NBA career could have been a lot better. BTW, he's a bright young man who had zero academic difficulties so that was not an issue for him.

I really wish he would have stayed - definitely would have benefited him. Seemed like a good kid - that made a subpar decision. Chris signing with an agent is more perplexing. Donte was far more ready - and look how it turned out for him. Hopefully CM has a better career in the NBA.

Stopped reading after "his decision"...

No you didn't. Because you edited it - taking out all the line breaks - so it read like one long paragraph.

And it was HIS decision. are you implying someone held a proverbial gun to his head and forced his hand?

He didn't wanna be in college. He decided to leave. End of story.

OttosBestFriend said:
No you didn't. Because you edited it - taking out all the line breaks - so it read like one long paragraph. And it was HIS decision. are you implying someone held a proverbial gun to his head and forced his hand? He didn't wanna be in college. He decided to leave. End of story.

Forum Runner on iPhone takes the breaks out, FYI.

My point was that there's only on opinion that matters in this and that was his. After every SU player goes pro this board erupts into "what he should have done" or "he cost himself x" ... I get sick of it. It's their choice. Let them make it, root for them (or not).

Donte would not have improved staying in college another year more than he would have in the NBA. How can people still think this in 2015?

Forum Runner on iPhone takes the breaks out, FYI.

My point was that there's only on opinion that matters in this and that was his. After every SU player goes pro this board erupts into "what he should have done" or "he cost himself x" ... I get sick of it. It's their choice. Let them make it, root for them (or not).
Isn't that what an internet sports message board is about, expressing opinions about decisions involving the players we follow? I don't understand why it bothers you. The guy did make his decision and now the speculation begins, no different than when Melo was a free agent and people had opinions about that.

Donte would not have improved staying in college another year more than he would have in the NBA. How can people still think this in 2015?
No one knows one way or the other. It's an impossible thing to quantify.

No one knows one way or the other. It's an impossible thing to quantify.
exactly, you can argue both sides, and both sides can have valid points, but it is pointless to do

It's even sadder that the NCAA restricts their options by forcing them to forgo their remaining eligibility in order to go through the draft process.
Exactly.

Can someone explain the NCAA's logic behind this?

NCAA's logic

giphy.gif

Donte Greene definitely would have benefited by staying at least one more year. His game had rough spots (particularly his handle) that he could have improved with another year of college. I don't think his draft position would have been worse than it was; I definitely think his NBA career could have been a lot better. BTW, he's a bright young man who had zero academic difficulties so that was not an issue for him.

Just read this and I'd have to disagree on these grounds:

Lebron James had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
Kobe Bryant had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
Dwight Howard had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
James Hardin had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
(I could go on all day with this list. BTW, the opposite is true as well. Kwame Brown, Andray Blatche, and the Fab-ulous one, etc)

Staying, or even playing, in college makes zero difference on whether one succeeds or not in the NBA. (I truly believe that.) One either has what it takes, both physically and mentally, to make it in the NBA or not. (Granted, some players who do make it, take time and bouncing around from D-league, Europe, etc. before they do. Plenty of examples of this as well.)

Hence, maximizing one's NBA dollars is impossible at best to argue one way or the other. If you think you know the answer to this, you must be the Almighty.

However, if one was a good student, and wouldn't have had a problem graduating and turning a graduate education into more dollars than one would get without the degree, well, there is a point to be made there. (There are some big IFs in there as well) Trying to get a 1st round draft pick to understand that point and understand their NBA career may end up being very short, is another near impossibility. I'm certain JB would pay good money to the person who is able to convince any of SU's potential 1st round draft pick players of the wisdom in this.

Just read this and I'd have to disagree on these grounds:

Lebron James had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
Kobe Bryant had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
Dwight Howard had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
James Hardin had rough spots in his game when he went to the NBA.
(I could go on all day with this list. BTW, the opposite is true as well. Kwame Brown, Andray Blatche, and the Fab-ulous one, etc)

Staying, or even playing, in college makes zero difference on whether one succeeds or not in the NBA. (I truly believe that.) One either has what it takes, both physically and mentally, to make it in the NBA or not. (Granted, some players who do make it, take time and bouncing around from D-league, Europe, etc. before they do. Plenty of examples of this as well.)

Hence, maximizing one's NBA dollars is impossible at best to argue one way or the other. If you think you know the answer to this, you must be the Almighty.

However, if one was a good student, and wouldn't have had a problem graduating and turning a graduate education into more dollars than one would get without the degree, well, there is a point to be made there. (There are some big IFs in there as well) Trying to get a 1st round draft pick to understand that point and understand their NBA career may end up being very short, is another near impossibility. I'm certain JB would pay good money to the person who is able to convince any of SU's potential 1st round draft pick players of the wisdom in this.

Poor Kwame Brown for being a bust, I'm sure the $63,992,853 million he's made really stinks...

It' works the other way too, say Kwame went to college and stunk up the joint, what do you think his career earnings look like then? Guys who come from 4 years of college have rough spots when they go to the NBA, some don't even get a sniff in the NBA if they go for 4 years. Your argument is weak, there are players who've been in the league for 10 years that have rough spots. LeBron was 19 years old coming into the league and averaged 21 pts, 6 ast, and 5 boards a game.

He said before and going into the season. Planned to be one n done. And apparently would tell anyone and anybody. Although I admit like many did the injury specifically would have changed things.

Add into wanting to get his family out of a tough situation in the Bronx, and with a child on the way (which he said played a big factor in his decision)

makes a lot more sense. Even as a selfish Syracuse fan like myself.

when people have a "plan" based on a set of circumstances, and then there is a HUGE change in those circumstances and there is a lot of new information...if you stick to that plan unedited, you are an idiot.

Poor Kwame Brown for being a bust, I'm sure the $63,992,853 million he's made really stinks...

It' works the other way too, say Kwame went to college and stunk up the joint, what do you think his career earnings look like then? Guys who come from 4 years of college have rough spots when they go to the NBA, some don't even get a sniff in the NBA if they go for 4 years. Your argument is weak, there are players who've been in the league for 10 years that have rough spots. LeBron was 19 years old coming into the league and averaged 21 pts, 6 ast, and 5 boards a game.

Kwame was the biggest NBA bust there has ever been. And college made Kwame all that money. How? By never seeing Kwame play one minute of college basketball. If he had, he'd have made less than $63,992,853.

Tell me you believe that MLB needs college baseball to survive. Can't it be done with just the minor leagues? Of course it can. Don't think for a second that the same couldn't be true for the NBA. I'll say it again. Staying in college, or even attending college, means next to nothing as to maximizing one's NBA dollars.

I think it's pretty rare that it actually helps a player maximize their NBA dollars to stay in college. One example might be, Dwanye Wade. He stayed 3 years at Marquette and that last year really helped him. Not so much his game. He was already pretty good, although he did get a bit better during his Marquette years. It was more the tourney success Marquette had in his 3rd year and the marketing that Wade got during that year improved his draft stock. Although, even if Wade hadn't stayed his 3rd year, he still would have turned out to be a great NBA player, even though he would have been drafted lower. Why, because of who Wade is physically and mentally. He would stick.

Any doubt that LeBron has gotten better since he was a rookie? Every single NBA analyst will say yes to that. Some guys don't get any better. And some guys stop trying to get better.

Your rebuttal was weak.

Kwame was the biggest NBA bust there has ever been. And college made Kwame all that money. How? By never seeing Kwame play one minute of college basketball. If he had, he'd have made less than $63,992,853.

Tell me you believe that MLB needs college baseball to survive. Can't it be done with just the minor leagues? Of course it can. Don't think for a second that the same couldn't be true for the NBA. I'll say it again. Staying in college, or even attending college, means next to nothing as to maximizing one's NBA dollars.

I think it's pretty rare that it actually helps a player maximize their NBA dollars to stay in college. One example might be, Dwanye Wade. He stayed 3 years at Marquette and that last year really helped him. Not so much his game. He was already pretty good, although he did get a bit better during his Marquette years. It was more the tourney success Marquette had in his 3rd year and the marketing that Wade got during that year improved his draft stock. Although, even if Wade hadn't stayed his 3rd year, he still would have turned out to be a great NBA player, even though he would have been drafted lower. Why, because of who Wade is physically and mentally. He would stick.

Any doubt that LeBron has gotten better since he was a rookie? Every single NBA analyst will say yes to that. Some guys don't get any better. And some guys stop trying to get better.

Your rebuttal was weak.

Kwame Brown was a consensus top 3 pick the year he came out, so the reality of his skills did not matter. CMac is a consensus nothing right now. He does not have the luxury of not having to expose himself at this point. He's put enough on tape to give the league enough concerns as to his viability as an NBA player. Once that has occurred, he really has no other good option than to try and build back value. You see it all the time in baseball where a pitcher will forgo a crappy long term deal for a one year deal where they believe they can prove their true value is greater than its perceived value.

Kwame Brown was a consensus top 3 pick the year he came out, so the reality of his skills did not matter. CMac is a consensus nothing right now. He does not have the luxury of not having to expose himself at this point. He's put enough on tape to give the league enough concerns as to his viability as an NBA player. Once that has occurred, he really has no other good option than to try and build back value. You see it all the time in baseball where a pitcher will forgo a crappy long term deal for a one year deal where they believe they can prove their true value is greater than its perceived value.

I agree with these perceptions/projections as to a player's NBA potential.

Kwame Brown had everything going for him coming out of HS. If he had turned out to be a stud NBA player and not a chump, he'd have made far more than 63 million during his career. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Fab Melo's circumstance growing up could be swaped with Kwame Brown's, then Fab's career would have been the same as Kwame's. Kwame grew up with basketball in the U.S., Fab didn't start playing until high school I believe. It's possible, had the two players life circumstances been switched, Fab would have made the $63 million and Kwame would be SU's famous Fab. Some may think this is a huge stretch, but from a physical and mental point of view, the two aren't that far apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom