Secondary | Syracusefan.com

Secondary

RICuse44

Starter
What the hell happened today? We have four starters (Wilkes, reddish, Lynn, Anderson) back from last year. Also have Esk, desir, Morgan, and whigham. Easily was the biggest problem for the defense. Sure a decent pass rush improves the secondary but still. This was awful. From what I have seen the two best cover corners are reddish and Lynn. These two should always be in. Esk is one of the best athletes on the team and is 6'3". You would think he should be able to cover a fair bit of space. He had some nice run support today, but I would make him a free. The strong safety? Whigham and Morgan seem more like corners to me. Desir maybe. Wilkes is not shamarko. I would put Rishard here. He is 6'1" 190lbs. He is our best tackler in the secondary. I would use Wilkes as the okie. A pass rush helps and it's hard to blitz mobile qbs. But the secondary was putrid today (and responsible for two big plays against PSU).

What the hell happened today? We have four starters (Wilkes, reddish, Lynn, Anderson) back from last year. Also have Esk, desir, Morgan, and whigham. Easily was the biggest problem for the defense. Sure a decent pass rush improves the secondary but still. This was awful. From what I have seen the two best cover corners are reddish and Lynn. These two should always be in. Esk is one of the best athletes on the team and is 6'3". You would think he should be able to cover a fair bit of space. He had some nice run support today, but I would make him a free. The strong safety? Whigham and Morgan seem more like corners to me. Desir maybe. Wilkes is not shamarko. I would put Rishard here. He is 6'1" 190lbs. He is our best tackler in the secondary. I would use Wilkes as the okie. A pass rush helps and it's hard to blitz mobile qbs. But the secondary was putrid today (and responsible for two big plays against PSU).

People forget that the Pass Defense was bad last year - they were ranked 71st. It's no surprise that they are lousy this year.

Why stop at the secondary? It was a true team effort. We play a pressure defense, but if the opponent handles our pressure easily it's like a five on four basketball game. We just had no scheme that worked against Northwestern.

Run defense was not horrible. Linebackers filled. Cam lynch played well. Ron Thompson does some nice things at DE. I have nothing good to say about the secondary.

Think of our D like Boeheim's zone. Works great except when people are hitting the shots.

In hoops, that's 3s. In football, it's what happens when the multiple blitzes yield zero pressure on the QB to get rid of the ball.

I don't bl;ame the players as much as I (mostly) blame the scheme.

it doesn't even seem like physical mistakes though. almost every long play...and there were a lot, were blown coverages. Wilkes got burnt again for a blown coverage td, but it's not physical. i'd actually like to see more man. we have the talent in Lyn, Reddish, Whigham, and even Anderson to play some straight up man. A little diversity would be nice, especially against a team like Northwestern who can pick us apart. Time and time again Colter went right away to where the blitz came from. It negated the blitz with the quick release, and our guys didn't react quick enough

Could not agree more. The only problem today with man was colter. If he takes off then there are no eyes on him. Would have liked to have seen more man with the other QB though, especially bump and run since they depend a lot on timing.

Northwestern spaces out their receivers, they run good routes and they have a helluva system in place offensively. SU NEEDED to be able to get penetration from the front 4 and we did not...had to blitz too much and all hell broke loose.

Poor game plan. This was not on the players it was on the coaches.