security at elite 8 vs marquette | Syracusefan.com

security at elite 8 vs marquette

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
As I briefly mentioned a few weeks ago - security was non-existent. When I say that, I mean the least security I have ever seen at a sporting event. It was noticeably bad.

Everyone I knew brought in airplane bottles of liquor.
1 girl brought in a backpack - the only thing they did was ask her what was in it: "water, animal crackers, camera, granola bars" and in she went. I KID YOU NOT - THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. They didnt touch the bag, let alone look in the bag.

I was in utter shock.

Then I saw POTUS on the big screen and literally fell out of my seat that they let a girl in with a backpack - and then I found out I was sitting about 20 yards from him with a direct line site. So much so, that my section was an absolute mess because it was the best section for pics of the Pres. There were 10-20 people at a time taking pictures in my section (ruined 1/4 of the game for me) with a total of about 100 people coming from different sections into mine to get direct line pictures. NO SECURITY and 1 usher who thought it was awesome. Thankfully security finally stepped it up at the beginning of the 2nd half and I was able to enjoy basketball again.

But with yesterdays sad news, it got me thinking. They said that they swept that area from 4am - 8 am yesterday morning. Sure, they may have swept the Verizon Center before we got there - but they let a girl into the arena with a completely unchecked backpack.

There was no metal detectors or pat downs. People could have easily brought a concealed weapon into the arena.

Just my rant. Prayers to Boston and the rest of the USA. Hopefully we get our heads out of our butts and this serves as a refresher to the world we live in now. It is obvious that 9/11 was temporarily forgotten.

Final Four was much better. We complain bitterly about these screenings, but they seem to be necessary in this world. The problem is: a determined person who doesn't care if he is hurt or killed can pull off almost anything.

Final Four was much better. We complain bitterly about these screenings, but they seem to be necessary in this world. The problem is: a determined person who doesn't care if he is hurt or killed can pull off almost anything.

Very true.

As I briefly mentioned a few weeks ago - security was non-existent. When I say that, I mean the least security I have ever seen at a sporting event. It was noticeably bad.

Everyone I knew brought in airplane bottles of liquor.
1 girl brought in a backpack - the only thing they did was ask her what was in it: "water, animal crackers, camera, granola bars" and in she went. I KID YOU NOT - THAT ACTUALLY HAPPENED. They didnt touch the bag, let alone look in the bag.

I was in utter shock.

Then I saw POTUS on the big screen and literally fell out of my seat that they let a girl in with a backpack - and then I found out I was sitting about 20 yards from him with a direct line site. So much so, that my section was an absolute mess because it was the best section for pics of the Pres. There were 10-20 people at a time taking pictures in my section (ruined 1/4 of the game for me) with a total of about 100 people coming from different sections into mine to get direct line pictures. NO SECURITY and 1 usher who thought it was awesome. Thankfully security finally stepped it up at the beginning of the 2nd half and I was able to enjoy basketball again.

But with yesterdays sad news, it got me thinking. They said that they swept that area from 4am - 8 am yesterday morning. Sure, they may have swept the Verizon Center before we got there - but they let a girl into the arena with a completely unchecked backpack.

There was no metal detectors or pat downs. People could have easily brought a concealed weapon into the arena.

Just my rant. Prayers to Boston and the rest of the USA. Hopefully we get our heads out of our butts and this serves as a refresher to the world we live in now. It is obvious that 9/11 was temporarily forgotten.
We live in a damned if you do damned if you don't country. We complain about every security measure taken at airports, but then if something horrible happens somewhere, we complain that security should be better. I'm curious how they will secure events that are completely in the open, like marathons, in the future.

We live in a damned if you do damned if you don't country. We complain about every security measure taken at airports, but then if something horrible happens somewhere, we complain that security should be better. I'm curious how they will secure events that are completely in the open, like marathons, in the future.

I don't think you can effectively in a Non-Totalitarian state.

I don't think it was announced that the POTUS was going to attend. Tough to plan something when that isn't known beforehand.

But an interesting observation about security.

I don't think it was announced that the POTUS was going to attend. Tough to plan something when that isn't known beforehand.

i understand - and im pretty sure you are correct... but what if POTUS showed up at the Boston Marathon and they made similar mistakes as the Verizon Center did?

i understand - and im pretty sure you are correct... but what if POTUS showed up at the Boston Marathon and they made similar mistakes as the Verizon Center did?
Nothing, he's indestructible. :)

The Verizon center may not have known, but I would think the secret service would've had some advance knowledge. I'm surprised they didn't contact security and make sure it was ramped up.

They will never be able to protect us from everything and everyone. Hopefully the most glaring security holes have been addressed and closed along with some of the meaningless ones that they like to talk about. I vividly remember on 9/10/01 flying from Bismarck, ND into Minneapolis. We did not go through security until we landed at MSP! I remember thinking at the time that I could have brought anything onto that plane with me and so could the 4 guys speaking Arabic that were in the front row. It was a passing thought at the time that became ingrained in my memory when I got to work the next morning and watched the events of 9/11. By the way, when I went through security in MSP they found 3 spent rifle cartidges in my briefcase. When I explained that I was a pall bearer at my uncle's funeral they said OK and handed me back my cartridges. Last time I went though MSP they took my small can of gel shaving cream and detained me for about 15 minutes looking for other contraband. Times change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom