Just got back from Cap One... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Just got back from Cap One...

It's sometimes hard to know that his player gets by him because he constantly gets lost in no-mans-land and is nowhere near the person he should be guarding. This happened again several times last night. Then other games he gets focused onto other teams better players and sticks to them like glue. He is extremely inconsistent.

He has that shot according to the coaches. He hits it in practice. He needs to do that in games when we have a real center in the game.
Two posts in one and it deserves two likes but yet I’m unable.

Q can score, but he trades off a lot of his points by not valuing the ball. He can make more mistakes that cost the team than anyone else and just keeps on doing it instead of calming down and making the good plays he is capable of.
He trades off a lot by chucking three point shots that everyone in the world knows he’s going to miss but himself.

He trades off a lot by chucking three point shots that everyone in the world knows he’s going to miss but himself.
The other thing that really bugs me about him is he just won’t get his hands up on defense. I imagine he’s doing it to bait guys into trying to pass over him, but even with his quick hands it doesnt always work.

The other thing that really bugs me about him is he just won’t get his hands up on defense. I imagine he’s doing it to bait guys into trying to pass over him, but even with his quick hands it doesnt always work.
I’ve noticed and not even with just this team but for probably 5-6 years, our defenders never put there arms out or up on on the ball defense, I don’t understand why, why don’t you triple the length of your body with your arms? I guess it’s not shocking it’s Gerry teaching the guards.

Absolutely wild people think this. He is a forward that can bring the ball up the court and make some plays either for himself in the paint or others. You need forwards capable of that. Without question not a starting PG. I’ve not understood it all year.
Actually felt that whomever played point guard on this team this past year had a license to create scoring opportunities and never succeeded. They only created opportunities for themselves and never for their team mates. Mintz was only “me“ oriented while Copeland tried to make the impossible pass or a razzle dazzle play and his success rate was unacceptable. Yet, Copeland was a better PG than Mintz.

Really need a PG who can get this team involved on offense.

Actually felt that whomever played point guard on this team this past year had a license to create scoring opportunities and never succeeded. They only created opportunities for themselves and never for their team mates. Mintz was only “me“ oriented while Copeland tried to make the impossible pass or a razzle dazzle play and his success rate was unacceptable. Yet, Copeland was a better PG than Mintz.

Really need a PG who can get this team involved on offense.

Yes we do.

And that's a good summary. Mintz has a LOT of talent. But his skills essentially are to create shots for himself. I recognize that he also has some high assist games mixed in, but his specialty is creating for himself off of the bounce, which tends to bog down the half-court offense.

Copeland has tremendous court vision, but also too much of a penchant for flashy plays. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't -- but that makes him inconsistent.

We really, really, really need a true lead guard.

I got really frustrated and disappointed with Q last night, and that's coming from a person who has been in his fan club all year. He made a LOT of bad plays. He was reckless at times, more showy than necessary, and had no business heaving up five 3 pointers.

If a guy misses shots, I'm usually not too critical of that, it happens. With Q last night, it was just poor play. One that stands out in my mind is when he went 1 on 4 early on in the game on a fast break during a time when the game was well within reach and every point was critical. He drove probably just looking for a foul, but it was really a dumb play as four NC State players were guarding him. Another that I remember is trying to thread the needle with a pass to Carey, that resulted in a turnover. There was no way Carey was going to handle that kind of pass. Brown, maybe, but not Carey. It was not an easy pass to haul in. 6 turnovers in the game and only 4 assists is piss poor.

The other thing that I didn't like was the amount of mouthiness on the court. I like Cope's fire and I think he's a leader type guy. I just don't care for the whiny crap like some others on the team did this year (i.e. Judah, Bell, Benny). Stop complaining and just play.

I don't want one game to sway me too much, but I REALLY didn't like what I saw last night. It has caused me to be concerned that with a starting role, he may be more empowered to make a lot of dumb plays. He's a very confident young man - that can work for a person but it can also work against. Sometimes I think it work against Copeland.
Your third paragraph speaks volumes. understand that players can have conflicts with their coaches but during the game and timeouts are not the right place to air problems. Very disrespectful.

If Red had a full complement of players, I am sure he would had bench these players. His comment about playing walk-ons instead of the scholarship players probably had a lot of truth behind it.

The team got no foul calls in this game, and some of them were blatant and quite obvious. That clearly frustrated them, as they should have gone to the line 20 more times. Still, you can't get a T, and you can't just keep complaining.

For the life of me, I could not understand why Taylor played the entire first half when I think scored 1-2 points. The few attempts he made to the hoop could have been called fouls, but nothing was getting called. He wasn't alone in struggling though. The turnovers and lack of rebounding in the second half were really bad.

I had a lot of hope to win that game and make at least a little run. Oh well. We should play in the NIT if offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom