Semi OT - "Bow-Hime" | Syracusefan.com

Semi OT - "Bow-Hime"

Doc5120

Starter
Does anyone else ever have a conversation with someone and Boeheim's name is mispronounced? Today at work, someone referred to him as "Bow-Hime." I'm normally not a real stickler for this sort of thing, but the guy has been coaching for 40 years and is one of the most well-known college hoops coaches of all-time. I work in the Syracuse area - not like I'm a west coast guy. This person is probably a huge Gerry Cooney fan too.

Used to happen all the time back in the early days. In fact, there would invariably be 2 or 3 PA announcers per year at road games who would mispronounce it. For some reason, my Dad would get such a kick out of it because he wasn't a JB fan back then, and it would just p**s me off to no end...

Stuff like that irrationally ticks me off too. I've watched games with people, who mispronounce players' or coaches' names AFTER hearing them already said during that game.

I'll never understand how anybody in the Syracuse area can mispronounce Boeheim, but it happens a lot...

Does anyone else ever have a conversation with someone and Boeheim's name is mispronounced? Today at work, someone referred to him as "Bow-Hime." I'm normally not a real stickler for this sort of thing, but the guy has been coaching for 40 years and is one of the most well-known college hoops coaches of all-time. I work in the Syracuse area - not like I'm a west coast guy. This person is probably a huge Gerry Cooney fan too.
Ask him about Bert Favree.

all the time

Two I remember are: Syr-RACK-us and Cy-Kyle-lee

If someone in upstate NY does it they are either intentionally ignorant or have a learning/speech disability that makes proper pronunciation difficult. No other possible excuse.

Not a good example. That's actually how it's supposed to be pronounced. Well, not exactly. The e at the end is almost silent.
It is an inside joke. r pronounced before v in Favre, so why not e before r in Bret?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom