Series Finales | Syracusefan.com

Series Finales

DeGrozz

All American
So I just watched the How I Met Your Mother finale and came away pretty disappointed in it. That got me to thinking back, and I couldn't really recall any sitcom endings that I loved.

If Arrested Development hadn't rushed/cancelled in the middle of season 3, they could have had an awesome ending. Other than that, I couldn't think of any I really loved. The Office trailed off the final seasons, Weeds had one of the worst endings ever, Seinfeld could have been better, Entourage sucked, etc.

Any sitcoms/comedies out there that had great endings?

DeGrozz said:
So I just watched the How I Met Your Mother finale and came away pretty disappointed in it. That got me to thinking back, and I couldn't really recall any sitcom endings that I loved. If Arrested Development hadn't rushed/cancelled in the middle of season 3, they could have had an awesome ending. Other than that, I couldn't think of any I really loved. The Office trailed off the final seasons, Weeds had one of the worst endings ever, Seinfeld could have been better, Entourage sucked, etc. Any sitcoms/comedies out there that had great endings?
Should have done what I did. I came away pretty disappointed in the first How I Met Your Mother. Saved me a bunch if time;) I recall the lead up to everybody loves Raymond being okay? But the actual finale? I can't quite remember.

I really liked the Cheers finale, Sammy being Sammy to the very end. 30 Rock went out strong, so did Scrubs. Newhart's ending was awesome :) At the risk of forfeiting my man card, I also liked the Sex and the City finale...

Last edited:
I really liked the Cheers finale, Sammy being Sammy to the very end.

30 Rocks went out strong, so did Scrubs.

Newhart's ending was awesome :)

At the risk of forfeiting my man card, I also liked the s e x and the City finale...

Forfeited! ;)

I completely forgot about Scrubs. I loved the show before it got cancelled the first time. I never could get back into it after that. Maybe I'll suck it up and watch the last few seasons next rounds i do on Netflix.

I'm an admitted Lost fanboy, but I thought The End was just about perfect.

I dont get the people so angry about the Mother finally.. It played true to the story set up in episode one. The 5 chars get sent off happy, they closed a ton of story lines and did it in true mother fashion..

The whole show was about how he met your mother and how that got him to where he was in his life..

Psych had a great ending.

Burn Notice had a perfect final scene

Lost was really good at trying to end a super complicted story line, people were expecting too much

cheers was awesome.

Monk was about as good as it gets..

I thought they wrapped everything up nicely, although a little bit predictably. It also set up the premise for the How I met Your Dad (not really a ) spinoff with #31 being the central character who will ultimately hook up with Barney.

I thought they wrapped everything up nicely, although a little bit predictably. It also set up the premise for the How I met Your Dad (not really a ) spinoff with #31 being the central character who will ultimately hook up with Barney.

I didn't like that they spent a year on the wedding and then {SPOILER} 15 minutes later Barney and Robin get divorced. It also seemed weird that they spent a whole series showing how Ted and Robin weren't right for each other, found the right girl for Ted, killed her off, and had him end up with Robin. I was kinda hoping that it wasn't going down that road, but oh well. I can always pretend that the finale was only 50 minutes long.

I didn't like that they spent a year on the wedding and then {SPOILER} 15 minutes later Barney and Robin get divorced. It also seemed weird that they spent a whole series showing how Ted and Robin weren't right for each other, found the right girl for Ted, killed her off, and had him end up with Robin. I was kinda hoping that it wasn't going down that road, but oh well. I can always pretend that the finale was only 50 minutes long.
they spent a whole series showing they were right for each other.. thats why he was talking to the kids. he was showing that it was his friends and relationship with robin led him to the love of his life and eventually back to the one he would have been with all along had she been ready.. the mother got him love and the kids he could never get with robin.

I think HIMYM spent too much time on the wedding. I would have been more okay with the ending had they given us Ted grieving. They basically gave 2 seconds of the wife dying and then moved us right on to Robin.

First off, Ted Mosby is arguably the worst character in television history.

Second, Lost's finale sucked. Like, you could watch certain adult films with less sucking than that.

Truth is, television is not a medium that lends itself to good endings.

the Extras Extra Special Series Finale is the best ever for a comedy series

Fist of all, I liked the LOST ending even with unanswered questions. Most hooked I've ever been to a show.

Second, wasn't the OP for sitcoms?

Fist of all, I liked the LOST ending even with unanswered questions. Most hooked I've ever been to a show.

Second, wasn't the OP for sitcoms?

OP was, thread title wasn't.

they spent a whole series showing they were right for each other.. thats why he was talking to the kids. he was showing that it was his friends and relationship with robin led him to the love of his life and eventually back to the one he would have been with all along had she been ready.. the mother got him love and the kids he could never get with robin.
really? i thought the whole series was about all the reasons they couldn't make it work (despite numerous attempts) and that Ted had to move on past Robin. In the episode before the finale, Ted had finally moved on and told Robin she and Barney were meant to be.

also the whole premise of the show, including the title "How I met your Mother" was a plot device to turn around and allow Ted to get back with Robin. which is kind of a big middle finger to the audience no?

As to somebody else talking about happy, who was happy in the finale? Barney and Robin got divorced, Barney reverted to his old ways, completely throwing his character development out the window. Robin was so busy traveling and moving around the world, she lost her friends. Marshall had to spend 5 years in corporate law doing everything in his power not to say anything bad about his job. Lilly gave up her career so she could raise more kids than she ever wanted, Ted apparently wasn't ever truly satisfied with his wife who died, despite being told all series long (by future Ted, the narrator) just how she was the perfect woman for him, and nothing would ever change that. There wasn't much in the way of "Happy" in that finale until the last 3 minutes when the kids are like, "Dad, you really weren't super in love with mom, no worries, go bang aunt robin because clearly you are toats into her."

Such a weird ending that threw away the entire season up to that point.

As far as comedies I thought Friends had a decent finale. I also have come to love the Seinfeld finale. The Office definitely had a great finale. The Wonder Years did too, but that was more of a drama. Will & Grace was awful - can't tell me they didn't see or speak to each other for 17+ years.

Friday Night Lights had an absolutely perfect finale. Might be my favorite of all time.

Overall very few Finales are good, most likely they try to hard to close things into an hour and it always falls flat. Or fans never really want it to end and will be hypercritical of it.

The Office as said before was pretty good, if Carrell didn't come back it would have been a black cloud over it as they really should have ended the show when he left.

Seinfeld finale was just meh, it really was and I'm a super fan of that show, the "reunion" on Curb was great and kinda got some closure with it all

Wonder Years was good, didnt like how Winnie and Kevin didnt end up together and hated how they killed off Jack Arnold in the voice over.

Everybody Loves Raymond was just bad, it was just a normal show, nothing resolved, no lose ends tied up especially in the show leading up to it. It was just the same Raymond being a needy girl and his mommy freaking out over him.

Sopranos I thought was good, obviously some hated it as it went unresolved and they felt Chase was hanging onto the notion of making a movie out of it all. He said it wasn't to stir up any controversy or anything, but he had been doing that since the start with things being left unresolved during the show.

Just watched the Wilfred series finale. It was pretty interesting. I liked the dark comedy throughout the series, but kept coming back because I wanted to know how the series would end up. I was glad they wrapped up the story in a pretty neat manner.

Enjoyed sopranos and breaking bad...series finales suck because they are, well...the end.

I believe True Blood wraps up next week. I'm looking forward to seeing how they end this one.

Watched the True Blood finale last night. A bit more Hollywood than I was expecting, but it was a nice wrap-up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
purelytd

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom