Serious question about the Aztecs ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Serious question about the Aztecs ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So apparently Oswego has a Native American Department and the head of the department has decided that all the dorms named after Indian tribes( Seneca, Cayuga, Onondaga, Oneida) do not honor those tribes and they should be renamed. So now the school is going to waste time and energy to study this. Maybe they should change the name of the town, since Oswego is an Indian name also.

Based on my few experiences at Oswego St the dorms should be renamed: Ice Hall, Freezing Hall, Biting Wind Hall, Snow Hall, Bitter Cold Hall, Slippery Slope Hall etc. Because of break schedules all my visits to Oswego were in December and January.

Based on my few experiences at Oswego St the dorms should be renamed: Ice Hall, Freezing Hall, Biting Wind Hall, Snow Hall, Bitter Cold Hall, Slippery Slope Hall etc. Because of break schedules all my visits to Oswego were in December and January.

Can there be a Cheeseburger Sub Hall somewhere in there?

How dare anyone affiliated with Syracuse criticize the name of another school's team?!

The name Syracuse itself is an appropriation of Greco-Roman culture.
If SU really was interested in being positive it would rename the team something like "Descendants of Archimedes"...DOA for short.

The Aztecs were strong proud Native Americans who were essentially "vanquished" by Cortez and the Spaniards in 1521. However, in this era of removing Native American names from sports teams... how is San Diego State allowed to continue as the Aztecs, apparently with little public discontent?
I don't know, but my wife applied to a job there, and was in something like the top 8, but not the final 4. Anyhow, I looked into living there pretty seriously recently, and hooo leee hell was it expensive. My home in FL would be like $2 mil there. It is absolutely insane. Beautiful, but insane.

Its not a disrespectful name in the same way 'Onondaga' County is not disrespectful.

This thread can’t exist on this board.
and-yet-here-we-are-stevie-budd.gif

People disparage it but have never been up there during the summer. Completely different animal.

That is absolutely nuts. I thought of it as a tribute, why totally erase their legacy?
I lived in Hart Hall by the way.
The guys says that they have had the name for 50 years and no one has learned anything. So wouldn't now be the perfect time to start educating people. I lived in Funnelle.

The use of the name is cultural appropriation.

That’s the issue.
Isn’t that the true nature of using names? Should Italians be upset that Syracuse was named Syracuse? How many city, town, street names etc are named Greece, Rome, Utica on and on. Even many first and last names of people are often what you call ‘cultural appropriations’ - should my Italian brother in law name have named his son, Ryan, an Irish name? Isn’t cultural appropriation the inappropriate use of the customs, practices of cultures other than your own? Who determines what is appropriate or not? What is inappropriate, insulting, painful about the names of dorms after actual local Indian tribes? Could it also be a good thing called assimilation by adopting, honoring other cultural facets other than your own? Should only Chinese eat, make, sell Chinese food etc? It all seems to be getting so ridiculous at times.

Isn’t that the true nature of using names? Should Italians be upset that Syracuse was named Syracuse? How many city, town, street names etc are named Greece, Rome, Utica on and on. Even many first and last names of people are often what you call ‘cultural appropriations’ - should my Italian brother in law name have named his son, Ryan, an Irish name? Isn’t cultural appropriation the inappropriate use of the customs, practices of cultures other than your own? Who determines what is appropriate or not? What is inappropriate, insulting, painful about the names of dorms after actual local Indian tribes? Could it also be a good thing called assimilation by adopting, honoring other cultural facets other than your own? Should only Chinese eat, make, sell Chinese food etc? It all seems to be getting so ridiculous at times.
I think you need to ask those who fit in the category of the name to know what is offensive to them. I am pretty sure that Chinese people do not view non-Chinese people making Chinese food as bad. Would a member of the Onondagas clan be offended that dorms are named after them? Not sure. I think you have to ask them. As a person of Irish descent, I am certainly fine with "Fighting Irish" being a nickname of a sporting team. It's all about context and the views of the people who claim that name or are derided by it (e.g. Redskins),

I'm kinda a mutt but mostly Irish and Norwegian. If I wasn't allowed to eat food outside my culture I would starve. Hands off my egg rolls and cannoli!

If a school works together with a tribe, such as providing scholarships, courses of study, a museum, etc. plus maybe compensation for the use of the name, I guess it would be OK. If it's "we're fierce barbarians, just like____", then no. And slang terms like 'Redskins' or 'sambo' logos like the one the Cleveland Indians were using or cliched mascots are never appropriate.

"We acknowledge with respect the Onondaga Nation, firekeepers of the Haudenosaunee, the Indigenous people on whose ancestral lands Syracuse University now stands.”

I still can’t believe people think the team name Redskins and Chief Wahoo were acceptable.

Yeah, I'm not sure how anyone seriously can't see the difference between the Aztecs and how SDSU has handled their logos, etc., with these two. Even the old Saltine Warrior logo Syracuse used was a pretty disgusting caricature.

Status
Not open for further replies.