Serious question concerning Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Serious question concerning Babers

I don't. I do not believe at this stage that 6-6 gets him another year. It is one thing to lose, but to get smashed week after week is quite another. 6 wins with none of them being a "good win". Well, that gets you fired with 1 year to go on your deal.
Agreed for sure. Just seems the AD here is all about the 'thats ok' approach, and not the 'DO BETTER' approach.

He also may like the phrase of 'you get further with honey, that you do with salt'

But last I checked, bottom feeding flies are also attracted to honey also... :(

Agreed for sure. Just seems the AD here is all about the 'thats ok' approach, and not the 'DO BETTER' approach.

He also may like the phrase of 'you get further with honey, that you do with salt'

But last I checked, bottom feeding flies are also attracted to honey also... :(
I don't think this is the case. If it were, he would not have fired Desko or Boeheim. Sorry, "retired" them both.

It’s more likely he was told that the school won’t be extending you. Coaches are typically given an extension before their last year. That helps recruiting. If he knows he isn’t getting one, then he’s basically been informed that it’s the end of the line.

OR - he was told he would ONLY be getting an extension if the team hit certain performance-based benchmarks.
Which we are now clearly not gonna hit.

When they did the groundbreaking ceremony, it was right before the Clemson game.
JW et al were pretty effusive with praise for Dino at that time.

So - I don't think he'd been told this was his last season, at least - not at that point in time.

I haven’t seen anyone mention that Dino is essentially coaching for whatever is left of his reputation at this point. The idea that he is just completely checked out and doesn’t care just doesn’t add up.

I listened to his post game presser with a friend this morning on the way back home from Blacksburg. My friend, a bigger sports fan than I, kept commenting on the number of times Babers said that last nights result was due to poor execution by players or injured players or players who are coming in for injured players that didn’t get enough practice time with the team … at no point did Dino accept responsibility or indicate how he, and his staff, had the largest role to play in that mess of a game. Now Garrett says a lot of the same things but it seems like that’s the company line … and as an attitude it stinks

He said that, eh? Well, I think that's a cop-out. Kansas States usually performs respectably, and they're not in a geographically favorable location.
Disagree. KSU does not rank as one of the cloudiest and snowiest cities in the USA. Schools use this for recruiting.

I think Babers has already been told this is his last year. At the end of the season, barring any other massively embarrassing losses, you'll see the announcement.

It's coming... Hopefully the money from the Yankee stadium game will be used to buyout the remainder of Babers contract.

Lord knows that game will likely be ugly.

I don't think this is the case. If it were, he would not have fired Desko or Boeheim. Sorry, "retired" them both.
I see what you're saying, but having now said that; if the balls were there, DB would be packing his office up today, and we all know that has yet to happen.
5leyusw.gif

I think this goes back years. My guess is wildhack made it clear he couldn’t fire him because of money left on the contract but told him he was choosing staff and schemes from here on out. Since then Dino didn’t like his position but didn’t want to give up the money And this is the result.
Wildhack choosing schemes??

Disagree. KSU does not rank as one of the cloudiest and snowiest cities in the USA. Schools use this for recruiting.
There's topography at Syracuse.

Only corn in Kansas. And cows (but that doesn't count).

Anyways, clouds and snow aren't the biggest bullet points in another school's recruiting schtick. Kinda down on the list.

It's playing time, facilities, "going pro", winning, and fanbase.

I see what you're saying, but having now said that; if the balls were there, DB would be packing his office up today, and we all know that has yet to happen.
5leyusw.gif
Not necessarily. If we won last night, Dino's job wouldn't even be a discussion today. I don't want an irrational AD. Rather, I want one that makes thoughtful, sound decisions. There's no urgency in firing him early today vs tonight, tomorrow.
I don't want an AD making decisions like a fan.
Kudos for the Major League clip.

Lot of junior colleges in Kansas to help with recruiting also.

True. Some of the best Juco programs in the country are in Kansas, I think.

Still, the better players from the Jucos in KS aren't going to K-State.

Not necessarily. If we won last night, Dino's job wouldn't even be a discussion today. I don't want an irrational AD. Rather, I want one that makes thoughtful, sound decisions. There's no urgency in firing him early today vs tonight, tomorrow.
I don't want an AD making decisions like a fan.
Kudos for the Major League clip.
It's a great movie ;-)

The next step is do nothing until after the season and see where we are. Sadly if we somehow sneak 2 more wins I think he comes back. I have no faith in the school making an aggressive move here.
I don't think there is any question that with 6-6 and a bowl game he keeps his job.

Perhaps that’s why we scheduled it! Freaking genius move by JW.
Like everyone else I hated that he gave that one away, but If JW knew he was going to cut Dino loose this year and wanted to use the Yankee game to bankroll the buyout I am very good with that. It's not out of the question... Anyone know how far ahead of time this was booked?

The next step is do nothing until after the season and see where we are. Sadly if we somehow sneak 2 more wins I think he comes back. I have no faith in the school making an aggressive move here.
Well, I can't see them extending him so their only move is to fire him. This will be the least expensive time to do it.

I think Babers has already been told this is his last year. At the end of the season, barring any other massively embarrassing losses, you'll see the announcement.
Is this new information since the end of September? If not, I seriously doubt this statement. I honestly love this coach as a human being; in my opinion, he was overconfident in his ability to run his scheme and most importantly attract the players required to run. If there was a true deficiency it was in regards to recruitment and retention, I think he has been contributory to those deficits. It is hard for me to say that as I value this man so highly. He did not adapt soon enough, I do not believe he was told to soon enough. He was definitely a coach you can get behind. Hard to watch. We need somebody who is invested in the Northeast, maybe Dino has become that guy if he can turn it around.

There's topography at Syracuse.

Only corn in Kansas. And cows (but that doesn't count).

Anyways, clouds and snow aren't the biggest bullet points in another school's recruiting schtick. Kinda down on the list.

It's playing time, facilities, "going pro", winning, and fanbase.
And NIL $$

5leyusw.gif
That just isn't the case. It has nothing to do with balls. It doesn't take courage to fire a coach that isn't a winner. It took courage to fire or retire Desko and JB.

I don't think there is any question that with 6-6 and a bowl game he keeps his job.
I disagree. I think there is at least a question. And the reason I say this is because we have been destroyed on national tv 4 weeks in a row. If it was 6-6, and we were competitive the last month, I agree 100% he would be back. Back to back bowls. But 6-6 with not just no good wins but a rout week after week, JW has to be thinking this has to end. No one will believe in this team next year. Plus, Dino will be a lame duck coach going in to next year. How could we recruit going forward with a situation like that? You can't. He either gets an extention (God forbid) or we let him go. It's either or. I guess you could give him another year to push the problem back a year but to what ends?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom