Serious question | Syracusefan.com

Serious question

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
If you made an "All-Star" team from the Lakers, Knicks, and Celtics, would that team make the playoffs in the West?

I can't even figure out a lineup and all of them are terrible at defense.

Knicks got flat out embarrassed. I bet Phil is wondering what he got himself into. Although Melo probably doesn't care, as long as he gets his money.

play small & fast & make other teams outscore you
Rondo & Kobe in the backcourt
Melo at the 4 and Swaggy P at the 3
Sullinger & Jordan Hill split time at the 5
JR off the bench
you've got young legs in Marcus Smart & Cleanthony Early & Olynyk for depth
that's a 7 seed, easy. maybe as high as 5

The Celtics roster really isn't that bad. They have more upside than the Knicks or Lakers. Rondo is good or an excellent trade piece. Same for Green although at a lower profile. Sullinger, Olynyk, and bradley are all improving talented players. I think the Celtics can make the playoffs this year in the East. They are a LOT closer to competing than the Knicks or Lakers.

Last edited:
In the east? Definitally. In the west? Very questionable but certainly still a possibility.

Knicks got flat out embarrassed. I bet Phil is wondering what he got himself into. Although Melo probably doesn't care, as long as he gets his money.
nobody cares more than melo. they will be better with calderon. melo has never played with somebody as good as dion waiters.

If Brad Stevens can coach the team you got a shot.

Byron Scott ... no chance in hell.

nobody cares more than melo. they will be better with calderon. melo has never played with somebody as good as dion waiters.

Billups, JR Smith, Nene.

Yes,
PG-Rondo
SG-Kobe
SF-Carmelo
PF-Boozer
C- Dalembert

Bench: Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley,Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Jordan Hill or Brandon Bass, Nick Young, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kelly Olynyk makes the playoffs out West.

You have 2 legit All-Stars in their prime, Kobe, and enough depth to be the 6th-8th seed out West. You don't win a title but your a playoff team.

Did anyone else see the Vine from last night where Kobe had the ball guarded by three people, Lin was wide open for the Corner three jumping up and down, meanwhile Kobe shot a fadeaway three...just hilarious.

Only thing lacking is a legit rim protector. I guess Dalambert would be that guy, but the team I listed makes the playoffs out West. Rondo would have shooters in Kobe and Melo and be able to get to the rim. You got your defenders on the bench Bradley/Smart/Young/Green. The only weakness is backup C, but Olynyk/Boozer could always be emergency centers. That team makes the playoffs. If you give Kobe weapons he would will that team to the playoffs Rondo and Melo are perfect 2nd bananas for Kobe.

Yes,
PG-Rondo
SG-Kobe
SF-Carmelo
PF-Boozer
C- Dalembert

Bench: Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley,Jeff Green, Jared Sullinger, Jordan Hill or Brandon Bass, Nick Young, Tim Hardaway Jr, Kelly Olynyk makes the playoffs out West.

You have 2 legit All-Stars in their prime, Kobe, and enough depth to be the 6th-8th seed out West. You don't win a title but your a playoff team.
Definitely a playoff team.

I don't know, I'm kind of leaning toward no, to be honest. Mainly because we have no idea what Kobe is at this point. Their frontcourt rotation would be really bad. That said, if Kobe is still the player he was before the injury, with him, Rondo, and Melo, you have 3 really good players, better than the top 3 from the teams you'd likely be competing with for the 8 spot and that would probably be enough to get you in. That front court though...man. I would def try and play Melo at the 4 as much as I could get away with.

The Celtics have a bunch of solid bench depth and with Melo, Kobe I think that the team I listed would finish top 8 out West.

Honestly the only thing missing is a rim protector and I think their is enough depth to win 45-50 games with an allstar team of the Celtics/Knicks/Lakers. With Dalembert, Olynyk, Sullinger, Hill, Bass, Boozer your weak at the 4/5 but not completely pathetic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom