serious question | Syracusefan.com

serious question

CusefanATL

2018 Iggy Post Season Record NCAA Winner
Obviously ND's loss last night will be "discounted" by the NCAA - but will the win for us be discounted as well?

Same thing with the Clemson and Gtown game... if they are discounted losses for us, are they discounted wins for them?

Obviously ND's loss last night will be "discounted" by the NCAA - but will the win for us be discounted as well?

Same thing with the Clemson and Gtown game... if they are discounted losses for us, are they discounted wins for them?

I asked the same thing yesterday.

So if we don't will that be a bad loss for us? If we win with him out, will that win be discounted?

Either way it seems like a lose-lose.

But a win would be great. I've been wearing my orange all day.

I think it counts. Nobody ever gives our team excuses when our players are hurt!

Obviously I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I just don't see the committee having the time or ability to analyze the rosters of who played and who didn't play in every single game. It would be mathematically impossible. In other words, I think this ND win will absolutely count in our favor despite Jackson not playing.

Obviously I have no way of knowing this for sure, but I just don't see the committee having the time or ability to analyze the rosters of who played and who didn't play in every single game. It would be mathematically impossible. In other words, I think this ND win will absolutely count in our favor despite Jackson not playing.

Unless of course they watched the game last night and heard them mention once or twice that Jackson wasn't playing.

I would think it would be considered/discounted by the committee for ND, but would not effect us. Does Gtown get discounted because they beat us without JB? No. Otherwise they would have to go through the who-beat-who-beat-who thing. The injury/coach discounting only effects the team in question.

I think it will only matter if we're severely on the bubble and there's debate as to whether or not we get in, rather than a debate on seed. The Committee doesn't have time to review the rosters for wins and losses for 70+ teams but they can do it for the handful of bubble teams.

It's not going to be discounted in the computer numbers, which certainly play a heavy part in tourney selection.

I didnt realize jackson was able to guard G, Cooney , and Mali at the same time.. he would have helped them on offense no doubt though.

At the end of the day, Notre Dame is ranked 25th in the country. We are unranked. That will be counted as a good win on our resume regardless of who played and who didn't IMO.

SU dominated ND. I am sure the committee will know Jackson was out but SU didn't just barely beat them. After the TO in the first minute SU destroyed them.

This win was good for our resume.

Exactly. Jackson is a good PG but he's not Oscar Robertson.

I absolutely think this is the case, and I think in general, the 'discounts" being talked about are way overblown compared to how the committee actually uses them

I believe you are correct - and this is why in general they make very little adjustments for injuries in general in my view. To many things going on -- to hard to assess if that was really the primary factor that caused the loss.
They always say they "consider" things, but I believe at the end of the day they assess your W's and L's vs the strength of that team for the season and not just that night or stretch of games.

There is a luck element in some of the quality wins you get -- injuries or when you played the team.

Last edited:
The only time I remember a team getting dinged for beating a team shorthanded was in 2007.
I remember this because we were on the bubble that year. West Virginia beat UCLA without Darren Collinson and I remember Doug Gottlieb beating the drums on and on about how that was a win with an asterisk and the selection committee used that against WVU.

That was the year we got jobbed by the AD from Princeton.

I think the committee would use larger issues for a period, as apposed to a game by game basis. And I think it is used only on the team being reviewed. For instance ND and Duke may get small overall breaks at the end of the season review if there are dramatic differences in the time frame of their missing key players - and those key players are back.

My hope is SU makes it out of the area where our factor, JB missing, plays any sort of large difference. Meaning I hope we are not even on the bubble and don't have to discuss the Hop vs JB discrepancy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom