Seriously though, Spike Albrecht's display | Syracusefan.com

Seriously though, Spike Albrecht's display

pearl31

in cahoots
in the 1st half was unlike virtually anything else I've ever seen in that kind of setting. For that kind of player (basically a scrub) to go off like that in the national championship game is just, wow...
any comparisons you can think of in recent sports history?

in the 1st half was unlike virtually anything else I've ever seen in that kind of setting. For that kind of player (basically a scrub) to go off like that in the national championship game is just, wow...
any comparisons you can think of in recent sports history?

Taking the championship game aspect out of it, I thought it had an odd resemblance to about 20 games SU has played where a no name came in and went absurdly insane. That's all I could think of.

Why not. How often does a chess club president get to say hello to this:
Beautiful-Kate-Upton-Wallpapers.jpg

If Michigan had held on and won, I 100% guarantee people would be comparing his performance to a certain former 6 foot Syracuse freshman guard in the title game (right down to the huge first half and donut in the second half).

If Michigan had held on and won, I 100% guarantee people would be comparing his performance to a certain former 6 foot Syracuse freshman guard in the title game (right down to the huge first half and donut in the second half).

They could do that. But they'd get blown out of the water. Spike was averaging 1.8 ppg going into the NCAA's. He was a bench player, who almost got denied entry to the arena.

By contrast, GMac was a starter on SU's title team with a 13 ppg avg. He had 19 in the semi-final game against Texas, and (earlier that year) had buried ND in the dome with a buzzer-shot. So I welcome any Michigan fan trying to make that comparison work.

Was his showing better than Hancock's?

Yes. He averaged like 1.8 pts/game for the season and didn't miss a shot at ALL in the whole Tournament until the 2H of the title game, I believe. Hancock was terrific, though.

That one shot where he did all kinds of hectic dribbling and shucking/jiving and then rears up for a 3-ball, I'm thinking "there goes his streak, no way he hits this mess." BANG. Down it goes. Southerland can't hit that shot.

We needed Trevor to have a Spike type game in the semi-finals.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers,
Neil

We needed Trevor to have a Spike type game in the semi-finals.

Oh well, it is what it is.

Cheers,
Neil

nah we just needed dirty to knock down 3 or 4 3s, something he's been good for most of the year even when he's struggling

After watching the kid play, I'd say he's a pretty good bet to see lots of minutes next year for Michigan. And if he was 3 inches taller.. He's got a great handle...

I knew UM had no chance when they were only up 1 at the half after a miracle from Spike

If not for Hancock's burst, Spike would have had a shot at being a hero. The entire complexion of the game would have been different at halftime. They had 16 and 17 points respectively, at halftime! I wonder if that has ever happened with 2 bench players in a title game? Or how often in any game? Like I keep saying, this tournament was special, 3 good final 4 games. If every year was even close, college hoops would be better for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom