Class of 2018 - SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 SF/PF Robert Braswell (SC) SIGNED WITH SYRACUSE

Love KC. Get to Joe’s, Q39, Boulevard, Manifesto, etc.
Just a short stay for my sister’s graduation this trip. I’ll keep those in mind for next time.

Based on what I have seen and what a couple of colleagues I trust chimed in on; I agree. I’m personally not that high on either of these guys but if they last enough in the program to be developmental guys a la Southerland then that’s fine. But people who expect these guys to be ballers right away (assuming one or both commit) will be disappointed, IMO.

Don't understand how anyone could expect them to make any kind of impact year 1. Those kind of outsized expectations are why folks are constantly disappointed. We'll have returning starters at a minimum of 4 positions with a big time recruit and possible impact transfer filling the 5th spot. Add in whichever of those 2 ends up the 6th man plus Sidibe and I can't imagine anyone else is getting more than 5mpg during conf play.

Don't understand how anyone could expect them to make any kind of impact year 1. Those kind of outsized expectations are why folks are constantly disappointed. We'll have returning starters at a minimum of 4 positions with a big time recruit and possible impact transfer filling the 5th spot. Add in whichever of those 2 ends up the 6th man plus Sidibe and I can't imagine anyone else is getting more than 5mpg during conf play.

I just want badly needed depth, injury insurance for year 1. Maybe they come in and average 4 or 5, but just looking for workers who will provide depth and grow in year 2.

I just want badly needed depth, injury insurance for year 1. Maybe they come in and average 4 or 5, but just looking for workers who will provide depth and grow in year 2.

Absolutely. Over the course of a season someone is definitely getting banged up and missing a few games then combine that with foul trouble and that's where we would run into significant issues.

Given the tune of the thread and it's Saturday morning...

2a4ulv.jpg

I’m confused on the high jump thing. I thought I remember seeing a post from many pages back where somebody said they were a track coach or their kid is big in track or something. As I remember interpreting that message it was that the high jump numbers we’re hearing were very pedestrian. But if 6’10” is no big deal how is the state record only 7’1”?

I’m confused on the high jump thing. I thought I remember seeing a post from many pages back where somebody said they were a track coach or their kid is big in track or something. As I remember interpreting that message it was that the high jump numbers we’re hearing were very pedestrian. But if 6’10” is no big deal how is the state record only 7’1”?

6-10 high jump is VERY good for a HS senior. 6-11 would place him in the Top 70 nationally at the college level.

His previous high jump was 6' 6". Not bad, but nothing spectacular. 6' 10" is much better. 7' 1" is the top jump this year.

my recruiting pitch would be centered on wes johnson. an underrated kid out of high school. good athlete, good shooter, tried going to the big xii (throwing some shade at okie state) but had to come to syracuse to maximize his potential. syracuse system made him a lottery pick with career earnings of over $30m. that's the vision we have for you, robert.
Wes Johnson went to Iowa State, not Oklahoma State.

Wes Johnson averaged 12ppg/8rpg while being named 1st team All-Rookie team in the B12 and honorable mention freshman All-American while at Iowa State. In his sophomore year he was hurt all year but was still named honorable mention Big 12.

I believe a few players left Iowa State at the same due to a coaching change.

It's not like Wes was chopped liver at Iowa State

Wes Johnson averaged 12ppg/8rpg while being named 1st team All-Rookie team in the B12 and honorable mention freshman All-American while at Iowa State. In his sophomore year he was hurt all year but was still named honorable mention Big 12.

are you trying to sell this kid, or what?

yeah, he was good in the big xii . . . but it took syracuse to make him look top 4 pick good

Last edited:

Correct. I’ve told this story a few times here. Back at the BET with the Flynn/Devendorf 6OT team; a friend in media in NYC hooked me up with great seats. Locker room and presser access as well but I digress. Anyways, a Knick scout was randomly sitting next to me during the SU/SHall game. Cool guy. Anyways, we started talking about players and such. When I mentioned that Wes Johnson had already transferred/enrolled at SU but sitting out he was like, “Wait a minute Wesley Johnson is at Syracuse?!” He was shocked yet excited for us. The prior season he was covering B12 and Gonzaga games and was already aware of Wes’s game.

Are your sources good on this? Assume same sources will have info on our other visitor as well...

Don't do that, dude. That's not how we roll here.

When I ran track at Colgate we had a guy in my class that high jumped in the Munich Olympics and was NCAA indoor champ (Chris Dunn). He was a 6'6" high jumper in high school and I think his best was 7'3 1/2"...Dunn, Fosbury, and Dwight Stones were the top jumpers for the US.