Class of 2022 - SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23) | Page 95 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2022 SG Chance Westry (PA / AZ Compass Prep) TRANSFERRING TO SYRACUSE (4/17/23)

Great pick up. Top 40 HS kid checks all the boxes. If Judah comes back we have three guys that can take you off the bounce. Cope as well which makes 4. Love teams that can take it to the rack. We have been missing that other than Judah for too long

I just flipped through this thread but didn't see much of a description of his game - is he a decent 3pt threat?

I just flipped through this thread but didn't see much of a description of his game - is he a decent 3pt threat?
He’s the opposite of a 3 point shooter

0-14 last year from 3, more of a ball handling slasher at this stage.

I think he was pretty good in HS. 24/7 called him a 35% type of 3 point shooter as a HS senior. If he can do that for us, he'll be another Elijah Hughes, who didn't do very well at East Carolina and then was fire for us.

This will give us a third (!) guards who can dribble penetrate, finish at the rim, and find the open player. You have to think we'll be playing a three guards lineup with Mintz, Starling, Westry, Taylor and Copeland all on the same team. At this point, we only have Williams, Bell, Brown and Hima on the front line.

Red keeps talking about versatility. Westry, JJ and Judah define versatility. They can all attack, pass and finish. Taylor, Bell, and Benny are all good spot up shooters. Copeland also provides options.

We need a big body rebounder. Somebody 6-8 or 6-9 and 240 who can score in the low post. That kid from NM State was a bit small, but somebody like that. Hima can be the rim defender if the other guy can rebound, defend the low block and occasionally get to the line off his post moves.

Great pick up. Top 40 HS kid checks all the boxes. If Judah comes back we have three guys that can take you off the bounce. Cope as well which makes 4. Love teams that can take it to the rack. We have been missing that other than Judah for too long
Yep, and want a big man with attitude to clean things up around the rim.

We need a big body rebounder. Somebody 6-8 or 6-9 and 240 who can score in the low post. That kid from NM State was a bit small, but somebody like that. Hima can be the rim defender if the other guy can rebound, defend the low block and occasionally get to the line off his post moves.
I like JJ's former teammate at Notre Dame. I don't think he showed much at ND, but he is a big bodied forward and a top 75 player.

Last edited:
I like JJ's former teammate at Notre Dame. I don't think he showed much at ND, but he is a big bodied forward and a top 75 player.

This kid also looks pretty good. He rolls to the basket and has decent hands. We knew he could defend. Decent size. He would be good as an alternative if we can't get Cisse.

We could end up with nine sophomores on this team.
Westry took a medical redshirt last year, apparently.

So we'll have two freshman and 7 sophomores if everybody else stays.

Do we know if he's in the portal?

For everyone saying the sky is falling, it's not, if Brown gets stronger and becomes a rebounder.
These are the type of players who can change a game in minutes, size and speed.
Use diffent type of traps and presses, get out and run, for easy baskets.

I like this highlight film better, even though it has many of the same plays... It also includes some analysis of how Westry plays. One caveat is Westry played exactly one minute against SEC opponents before being shut down for the season, so all of his highlights are against lower competition.

It looks like Westry was limited athletically because of his knee injury. He didn't seem to have much bounce in his highlights. I hope this isn't the beginning of a career long problem... Even if it is, Westry is physical and crafty with the ball, using angles and his body to create space without blazing speed off the dribble. He reminded me a little of Billy Edelin with his old man game off penetration. He does have a second gear, though, using quickness at least once to dribble around a smaller player.

He seems to have very long arms and good ball control allowing him to extend when finishing near the rim. He seems to have a third eye when it comes to avoiding the help defender and finding cutters.

He might be our best player on the drive and dish once he gets the rust off next season. He does have a turnover problem, which could limit his effectiveness.

Westry seems to be really tough on defense because he's constantly reaching to slap the ball away, and so got a lot of steals. Unfortunately this also makes him really foul prone at this point (6.5 fouls per 40 from a guard).

His defence could definitely be a strength, as he seems to hound the ball well at the point of attack, forcing turnovers. He'll need to balance aggression as he gets experience to be able to stay in the floor.

He isn't much of a rebounder so far, especially for a guy his size, averaging only 3 rebounds per 40 against lower competition. This in spite of his highlights showing a couple nice offensive rebounds and putbacks.

After watching the highlights a few times, I'm excited to have him, but don't think Westry comes in as any kind of savior for next year's team. I think it's more likely he starts out as a reserve, especially if Starling and Mintz both make it to next year's roster.

My opinion could change if it becomes apparent that Westry was greatly limited by his knee injury and is fully healthy next year. If he gets a little more athleticism to go with his canny game, he might force Red to move to a three guards starting lineup, especially if his rebounding improves with added jumping ability and quickness.

It will be great to have five guards ranked in the top 100 of their recruiting class on the same roster again!

For everyone saying the sky is falling, it's not, if Brown gets stronger and becomes a rebounder.
These are the type of players who can change a game in minutes, size and speed.
Use diffent type of traps and presses, get out and run, for easy baskets.

If we can get a good center and Judah returns, this could be a pretty good team.

Judah, JJ, Westry, Taylor for the guard rotation.

Westry, Benny, Chris, Maliq at forward.

Taylor, Copeland and Westry can all play F or G.

Give me Hima and a good center like Cisse or the kid from Notre Dame (or somebody new in the next week or so of similar quality), and that's like 10 or 11 guys who can all play.

Judah, Taylor, Benny, Chris and hopefully at least one of JJ or Westry can make threes. With a lot of threats, that might take the heat off any of them individually.

I hope we play 3 defenses; I hope we play a deep bench, and I hope we play hard.

I like this highlight film better, even though it has many of the same plays... It also includes some analysis of how Westry plays. One caveat is Westry played exactly one minute against SEC opponents before being shut down for the season, so all of his highlights are against lower competition.

It looks like Westry was limited athletically because of his knee injury. He didn't seem to have much bounce in his highlights. I hope this isn't the beginning of a career long problem... Even if it is, Westry is physical and crafty with the ball, using angles and his body to create space without blazing speed off the dribble. He reminded me a little of Billy Edelin with his old man game off penetration. He does have a second gear, though, using quickness at least once to dribble around a smaller player.

He seems to have very long arms and good ball control allowing him to extend when finishing near the rim. He seems to have a third eye when it comes to avoiding the help defender and finding cutters.

He might be our best player on the drive and dish once he gets the rust off next season. He does have a turnover problem, which could limit his effectiveness.

Westry seems to be really tough on defense because he's constantly reaching to slap the ball away, and so got a lot of steals. Unfortunately this also makes him really foul prone at this point (6.5 fouls per 40 from a guard).

His defence could definitely be a strength, as he seems to hound the ball well at the point of attack, forcing turnovers. He'll need to balance aggression as he gets experience to be able to stay in the floor.

He isn't much of a rebounder so far, especially for a guy his size, averaging only 3 rebounds per 40 against lower competition. This in spite of his highlights showing a couple nice offensive rebounds and putbacks.

After watching the highlights a few times, I'm excited to have him, but don't think Westry comes in as any kind of savior for next year's team. I think it's more likely he starts out as a reserve, especially if Starling and Mintz both make it to next year's roster.

My opinion could change if it becomes apparent that Westry was greatly limited by his knee injury and is fully healthy next year. If he gets a little more athleticism to go with his canny game, he might force Red to move to a three guards starting lineup, especially if his rebounding improves with added jumping ability and quickness.

It will be great to have five guards ranked in the top 100 of their recruiting class on the same roster again!

I heard he had more bounce and athleticism in high school before injury. Agree though, really hope that comes back as he gets fully healthy next year. Size, feel and vision are all there.